Aoshima

According to HLJ Aoshima are to release 5 of their Thunderbird kits in June and July.

http://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljlist?Word=th...s=All&Dis=2

Marty...

Are these half-decent kits or are they more like toys, with large wheels and motors to propel them across the carpet?

Are these half-decent kits or are they more like toys, with large wheels and motors to propel them across the carpet?

Not sure of the Thunderbirds base, but the others are half decent kits.

Here is the only I have built so far - Thunderbird 2 and Container Dock

AS_TB2_001_008.jpg

Very impressive Thunderbird 2 - is the Container dock part of the kit, or is it scratch built?

anthony

Tony, Thunderbird 2, the three pods, 2 vehicles and the Docks two walls and floor were all provided in the kit I bought years ago. My kit number was #33135 which is different to the kit number shown as #00354. The Aoshima web site shows it with 13 vehicles so they may have added to it.

Andy

Wonder if they would do a Thunderbird 1 pen diorama, featuring of course the infamous lemon squeezer :)

It's not listed for re-release but they did one. It's in 1/350 scale with the TB2 container dock diorama.

Aoshima 1/350 TB1 Launch Pad

David

Any one else ever wonder how Thunderbird 2 settled onto its selected pod without its wings crashing down on top of the pods either side of it ?

Also why Thunderbird 1 rotates through ninety degrees when it gets to the bottom of the ramp?

This was in the launch sequence - the tracks on the side which presumably drag the Mole into the 'ole looked like they were going backwards. The crawler tracks always go the right way in the episodes I've seen.

It could be the wagon wheel effect, I'm not sure. I *think* the drill was going the wrong way too though, so it might just have been a case of plus-to-minus, minus-to-plus?

Will

I forgot to add earlier, but the 1/72 Mole is really good. I'm just about done with mine and it compares well with what I see on screen.

Admittedly, it does have large wheels and motors to propel it across the carpet, but there's a decent scale model wrapped around them so it's hard to hold that against it :D

@Andy Mullen: your TB2 and hangar look brilliant - accurate and impressively big-looking. Did the decals (?) and glazing for the windowed control room come with it?

Will

Any one else ever wonder how Thunderbird 2 settled onto its selected pod without its wings crashing down on top of the pods either side of it ?

Trick photography, as stated in Derek Meddings' excellent book, 21st Century Visions, published shortly before he died. I must rescue my copy and have another read.

Tony :clif:

@Andy Mullen: your TB2 and hangar look brilliant - accurate and impressively big-looking. Did the decals (?) and glazing for the windowed control room come with it?

Will

Will, yes, the tranparencies for the control room were supplied. The control room backgrounds are actually stickers not decals.

AS_TB2_001_005a.jpg

Heres a link to the instructions in PDF >> Aoshima #33135 << [1.3Mb]

and Photobucket links

th_AOS33135_0.jpg th_AOS33135_1.jpg th_AOS33135_2.jpg th_AOS33135_3.jpg th_AOS33135_4.jpg th_AOS33135_5.jpg th_AOS33135_6.jpg th_AOS33135_7.jpg th_AOS33135_8.jpg

Edited by Andy Mullen

Does any one else find it ironic that kit manufacturers find difficulties in producing accurate models of, er, models? And I llove the TB2 hangar, Must get one.

Edited by avro683

I can sort of understand it. When making a model of a real vehicle, you can usually find an example in a museum somewhere and take a tape measure to it. With a model of a model, its not always possible, so you are relying on photos and plans which might be different from the article that appears on screen.

Does any one else find it ironic that kit manufacturers find difficulties in producing accurate models of, er, models? And I llove the TB2 hangar, Must get one.

I can sort of understand it. When making a model of a real vehicle, you can usually find an example in a museum somewhere and take a tape measure to it. With a model of a model, its not always possible, so you are relying on photos and plans which might be different from the article that appears on screen.

Also bear in mind that there were several different models used (of different sizes) depending on the requirements of the scene being filmed, and these did not always match each other. So for instance the Aoshima Thunderbird 2 kit might (say) match the overall shape of the complete studio model used for flying shots, but the nose section could still be different from the larger scale cockpit and front end used to show the craft lifting itself up on the hydraulic jacks to reveal the pod.