RAF Vickers VC-10 K2

Here as promised after a lot of hassle with photobucket (1/2 an hour just to do these) are some photos of where I am at the moment. I still need to do a little more sanding on the engine nacelles attachment area and then I shall fix the reaer nose U/C door area.

VC-10018.jpg

VC-10019.jpg

The next two pictures shoe the offending windows that have been filled. The strange thing is there are not on the box art or the painting instructions. Are they something that was initially fitted to the first VC-10 tanker?

VC-10020.jpg

VC-10021.jpg

Engines all sanded down and the tail has been attached. I still have to fit the wing fence and a few other odds and sods, then it is painting time. Hopefully some photos in the next day or so.

Here is where I are now. The wing fences, refuelling probe and the ventral camera have been added, the engine nacelles and all the aerial placement positions have been filled and sanded down. All of the raised panel lines have now also been removed, but the positions of the doors and such like have been noted for future reference. I shall give the model a clean down and then will start to paint it.

VC-10022.jpg

VC-10023.jpg

VC-10024.jpg

Edited by Jabba

As mentioned earlier I had painted the undersides of this model. I have also applied one coat of paint to the upper sides. This has been lightened with a touch of white, but think I still might lighten it a bit more. Some panels will be painted unlightened Hemp at a later stage, as photos I have of the aircraft I want to do has, so I do want the difference to stand out a little bit. Still ever onwards and upwards.

VC-10025.jpg

VC-10026.jpg

VC-10027.jpg

your showing everybody else the way to go....(including me...)
Looking really good Jabba, reckon you're on the home straight!

Mark

Thanks for the comments gents.

The second coat was applied last night, but a quick question, does anyone know the colour of the engine intakes? I am thinking along the lines of LAG.

Edited by Jabba

Jabba

Here's a picture of the Conways in an RAF C.1. I reckon LAG wouild be a good match for the interior casing.

41.jpg

Mark

Thanks for the comments gents.

The second coat was applied last night, but a quick question, does anyone know the colour of the engine intakes? I am thinking along the lines of LAG.

Jabba

Here's a picture of the Conways in an RAF C.1. I reckon LAG wouild be a good match for the interior casing.

41.jpg

Mark

Thanks, that is just what I was after. I know that the Nimrods that I worked on at Wyton had a slightly lighter than LAG intake, and that was what I was basing my own reckoning upon.

Painted on the second coat of lightened Hemp, and also the unlightened panels. I then noticed from the photos that I had that the fuselage, eng nacelles and possibly the upper wings and tailplane were a lighter shade than the fin. So I lightened the Hemp even more and applied this. Hopefully it does not look that bad, but from what I have seen the Hemp VC-10s when left outside for most of their lives seem to get rather weather beaten. Hopefully over the next day or so I shal finish the detail painting and add the U/c for the application of coats of Klear. Photos coming soon.

As promised some photos of where I am at the moment. The camo is now painted and I have to do some small areas mainly around the eninge intakes and exhaust. As you can see the U/C has been added to aid with the application of Klear so that it can stand on its own two feet so to speak. Any comments are gladly welcomed.

VC-10028.jpg

VC-10029.jpg

VC-10030.jpg

VC-10031.jpg

VC-10032.jpg

Looking mighty fine Jabba, the different coloured darker panels add interest to the scheme. I'll hopefully be at the stage you're at by the weekend :thumbsup:

Mark

Thanks for the comments. I thought that Iwas going to have another problem, and that being the refuelling reference stripes. I have seen some VC-10s with dayglo/black stripes, where the kit only has white/black stripes. But a look at some of the reference photos that I have shows ZA144 with white/black stripes at the time period that I am doing.

*wipes sweat from brow*

Yes the bottom did squeak a little as I did not fancy buying a F-Dcal sheet to cure the problem. Talking of F-Dcal. I noticed that the entry doors are different sizes, which is not indicated in the Airfix decal sheet. Luckily I have a second F-Dcal VC-10 K3/4 sheet which I will use the doors from and possibly a few other bits and bobs.