Brazilian F-5E

pigsty

First, a disclaimer: this question is not about what precise shade of pink to use or whose emulsion paint is closest.

I plan to build my 1/32 F-5E in Brazilian colours. One of the reasons for doing this was that the Brazilian F-5 appeared to have a slightly different colour scheme from the norm. It was essentially the same as USAF aircraft over Vietnam (green, green and tan) but seemed to have additional grey patches - on the upper surfaces, not the light grey underside. This was confirmed - or so I thought - when the pull-out in an issue of Airplane showed said grey bits.

I’ve scrolled up and down the relevant part of Airliners.net and I’ve not found anything that indicates this illustration was correct. There are plenty of F-5Es in basic green, green and tan, but none with grey bits. On the other hand, there do seem to be quite a lot where the darker green has either weathered to a grey-green shade or has possbile even been replaced with a darkish shade of grey. One patch occupies a spot where the offending illustration had grey next to dark green.

So I’m wondering:

• before they went overall grey, did Brazilian F-5Es ever wear upper surface colours of green, green, brown and grey?
  • if not, and it was the standard US scheme, was the darker green replaced by another colour at some point?
  • if not, has the darker green really weathered that much? This may sound silly but it looks quite unlike USAF aircraft, even those that have spent half a lifetime fading in the Arizona sun.

Any and all help gratefully received!

Do you have any pics of this brazilian F5E?

Sorry, I don't. Airliners.net has 102 pictures, none of which is the green/green/tan/grey. All I have is that one illustration on paper, and I can't scan it.

Take it easy guys.

Brazilian F5E had many camouflages. To know the correct one i need his tail number or serial number like i said.

Don't take AT-26 color scheme.

Brazilians F5 don't use Hellenic scheme. Be careful!

Let me know the tail number and i'll tell you what's the correct paint scheme.

About this book. It's the best publication for brazilian F5.

Marcelo

Take it easy guys.

Brazilian F5E had many camouflages. To know the correct one i need his tail number or serial number like i said.

Don't take AT-26 color scheme.

Brazilians F5 don't use Hellenic scheme. Be careful!

Let me know the tail number and i'll tell you what's the correct paint scheme.

About this book. It's the best publication for brazilian F5.

Marcelo

Hi Marcelo.

According to the photo that Scott uploaded (link) the sheme is almost the same with the Greek Air Force's F-5A sheme. I didn't say Brazilian F-5s used the Greek sheme. I just said the shemes are very similar. :) Nevertheless, the SEA camo is not Greek but American. so, it's very possible many air forces may have used it. ;)

Just compare the two pics. I have many more of the real planes with the SEA camo, if needed. ;)

Edited by nirvanagr

Well, anyway, the illustration I have is serial number 4835, marked up for 1o/1o GAvCa at Santa Cruz. The only visible grey patches are one across the top of the fin, and another at the bottom of the fin leading edge and along the leading-edge fillet. Hope that helps!

Pigsty.

Consulting my notebook, the plane in question, registered 4835 which belonged to the first squad of the first group (1º/1º Gav) was received on July 75, but it had a short life in the FAB as he suffered an accident in the BAAN in August 77 and due to the damage was then discarded his recovery, going to waste. The paint was camouflage type SEA, only remembering that in the operations in that squad, were used at the helm of the squad or two wafers to be sitting in the nail and pif-paf, one each on each side. In terms of experimental paintings aeonaves only the 4824 and 4834 used a standard gray FS 36495 and two of them used commemorative paintings which are 4841 and 4846.

So your F5 have a SEA scheme. Take the original scheme and paint it.

Marcelo

Thanks very much for all your help with this. I wonder where that illustration came from? I may do one last image search (it might work) and then have a good long think about it.

Edited by pigsty

Thanks very much for all your help with this. I wonder where that illustration came from? I may do one last image search (it might work) and then have a good long think about it.

It's the foldout from World Air Power Journal's feature article on the F-5 (volume 25) and yes it shows grey patches: (Click to enlarge)

th_FAB4835.jpg

The blurb on the same illustration regarding camouflage says that "Brazilian F-5Es were delivered in a three-tone camouflage using similar shades to those applied to USAF F-5s used in Vietnam and indeed to VNAF F-5Es". No mention of grey areas.

And a question to Marcelo regarding FAB F-5s. Many years ago on the Key Publishing forums, some Brazilian mentioned that four RF-5A style photo reconnaisance noses were delivered together with the first FAB F-5Es in 1975. They were tried out, results were not satisfactory and were subsequently scrapped. Do you have anymore info on that or even photos???

Edited by Panoz

And since I got the magazine out here's a scan of the FAB page on the F-5 feature: (Click to enlarge)

th_WAPJ25FAB.jpg

Note that on the leading edges of the fins of the camouflaged aircraft (same areas as in the illustration) the faded dark green colour (FS34079) looks like grey.

Maybe the illustrator thought it was an extra colour??? :hmmm:

It's the foldout from World Air Power Journal's feature article on the F-5 (volume 25) and yes it shows grey patches: (Click to enlarge)

Yes, that's the chap. And it's quite possible that it is indeed faded green rather than true grey. But I live in hope ...

th_FAB4835.jpg

The blurb on the same illustration regarding camouflage says that "Brazilian F-5Es were delivered in a three-tone camouflage using similar shades to those applied to USAF F-5s used in Vietnam and indeed to VNAF F-5Es". No mention of grey areas.

And a question to Marcelo regarding FAB F-5s. Many years ago on the Key Publishing forums, some Brazilian mentioned that four RF-5A style photo reconnaisance noses were delivered together with the first FAB F-5Es in 1975. They were tried out, results were not satisfactory and were subsequently scrapped. Do you have anymore info on that or even photos???

Ok. FIRST: this illustration is WRONG! But i'll confirme with a friend.

SECOND: let me search a little bit about these aricrafts.

Marcelo

And since I got the magazine out here's a scan of the FAB page on the F-5 feature: (Click to enlarge)

th_WAPJ25FAB.jpg

Note that on the leading edges of the fins of the camouflaged aircraft (same areas as in the illustration) the faded dark green colour (FS34079) looks like grey.

Maybe the illustrator thought it was an extra colour??? :hmmm:

It's a great photo. Here we can see the SEA scheme. Dark green looks like grey. The illustrator is very wrong.

Great photo...

Marcelo

Yes, that's the chap. And it's quite possible that it is indeed faded green rather than true grey. But I live in hope ...

Pigsty, F5E from 1º/1º GAV - Senta Pua are SEA scheme.

This profile posted in magazine is wrong and the other photo can confirme this information.

MArcelo

PS: guys i'm looking for more informations and more pics.

This profile posted in magazine is wrong and the other photo can confirme this information.

That's what I was thinking too. An unusual result, as Keith Fretwell was normally a peerless illustrator. Still, adding Brazilian markings to anything will improve it, so I'll press on.