1/48 Italeri F-16A Fighting Falcon

Well, hot off the back of the F-14 STGB I'm on to the next one :D

This will hopefully be my first of 2 F-16's for the group build having also picked up a 1/48 Hasegawa F-16C. Thought I would start with this as a bit of practice. It will no doubt be straight OOB with possibly some aftermarket decals once I decide the scheme I want to go for. Was planning on doing the 323 squadron 'Dirty Diana' from the sheet included but the colours are wildly out, judging from pictures the tail should be bright orange and yellow but the decals on the sheet are brown!

SAM_1120.jpg

Obligatory sprue shot.

Planning on starting tomorrow night but thought I would just get this thread under way. :)

I know what you mean Mish, I was having a look over the 2 kits last night and was actually amazed that the italeri kit certainly has better detail and nice well defined panel lines, which was a real shock!

It's funny I've just noticed it here in the pictures, the tail has come out a nice orange/yellow in the picture whereas the decal itself is a lot browner. :lol:

Managed to get started last night. :D

So, as per usual started with the seat and cockpit. The seat was tricky to get together but got here in the end. The level of detail in both the seat and cockpit really surprised me, especially for what I've always thought was a 'budget' brand. Though of course we are never happy so I thought I would have my first go at adding extra detail to the side of the seat. I was studying pictures of the the AcesII ejection seat and noticed that on the pilot's right-hand side there is an hydraulic hose which hadn't been modelled by italeri, they modelling it on the other side and even give you a hint that something is there by modelling the connector. So, time to raid the old computer bits box. :)

SAM_1121.jpg

And this is what I came up with. I know compared to some of the added extras round here it's a tiny bit of modifying but it was my first go and I'm pretty pleased with it. :D

Here's a couple of finally painted shots, I'm happy with this now and planning on hitting the cockpit tonight.

SAM_1127.jpg

SAM_1126.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, I feel really bad that i've not kept on top of this thread! :blush:

Well, the f-16 is still coming along. I've been catching time on it here and there and after picking up an airbrush this has become a bit of a test bed!

She's pretty much together now not that there is a huge amount of work between the cockpit and getting a base coat on there (makes a change from the F-14 :lol: ) though did need to spend a bit of time around the air intake to get that just right. The fit in some places has been terrible but then in others has fallen together with no effort! :mental:

Any way on to the pictures, please excuse the poor quality, another reasons for the lack of updates has been losing my camera and having to use my phone;

First layer of citadel bone white base coat. I had toyed with using a grey base coat but seeing as certain areas are a pretty light grey I wanted to be able to see where I had been!

Untitled-3.jpg

Next up it's my first go at pre-shading. Which after a bit of false start I'm pretty pleased with the final result.

Untitled-4.jpg

And here the underneath all sprayed up, not strictly the right fs colour but using tamiya acrylics it makes it pretty hard to get spot on so went for a pretty general light grey mix.

Untitled-3-1.jpg

Now, just waiting for the bottom coat to dry so i can get masking up the next layer of slightly darker grey :lol:

Cheers guys. Just finished my first top coat tonight, just waiting for that to settle so I can get another one on there. then it's off with the masking tape and hope there aren't too many runs or bleeds!

On first look I'm not sure I went dark enough with the pre-shading, the light grey underneath looks fin but now the darker greys have gone on the top it's all but disappeared, something I'm definitely gonna remember for the next one. :blush:

I found similar results with my Tomcat, for my next build I'm going to go darker with the preshading!

Always a hold-the-breathe moment, taking off the tape...

Hopefully all good!

All the masks are off and I'm really chuffed with the result :D

Only 1 small bit of bleeding and it's tiny, underneath one of the wings and nothing that I'm too worried about.

2012-05-09215004.jpg

2012-05-09215030.jpg

2012-05-09215121.jpg

I've just applied a coat of klear and the colour has dulled a bit which is good, I know the nose is a little too shiny but I'm planning on doing some weather around there to take the shine off.

The colours have been mixes of tamiya flat acrylics, a bit hit and miss and trying to get it right to matches of the same aircraft.

One thing I do have to give the the italeri kit, the canopy is fantastic! No seem line, no messing about polishing, nice and thick and apart from a bit of a dodgy fit between the 2 pieces really well made!

Next up applying the decals and fixing up the under-carriage.

Nice work DannyB, looks good. Is that a metallic tint to the nose though?

Cheers guys, had a quick check this morning to see how the first coat of klear has gone done and it has really settled the colours down lovely.

There is a bit of a metallic tint to the nose, I found several references to the nose being a dulled bare metal finish. It is a mix of XF-66 (light grey) and X10 (gun metal) and a drop of X11 (chrome silver) but looking at it now it didn't need the chrome silver :blush:

Lots more done over the last couple of days.

Have now got all the decals on including the big full tail ones at the back. Though I need to get some microsol, the revell decal soft just doesn't work on these decals. Not sure what it is, either it's nothing more than water or these decals are just so thick they need something stronger to soften them up! :wall:

SAM_1161.jpg

SAM_1162.jpg

SAM_1165.jpg

And here you can see where the decal has broken at the bottom of the tail, still have to tidy this up and trim the end.

SAM_1167.jpg

Next up is another coat of klear then panel lines and weathering, I've picked up from all the research I've done Diana weren't a particularly clean bird :lol:

That looks really nice Danny - the nose looks just right on my monitor. Really need to get on with my F-16 now...