Black Buck Vulcan

Darth Vader

I want to do a Black Buck Vulcan but am having a problem getting the Shrike missiles and ALQ-119 jamming pod they carried.

Does anybody know where I should look ? ?

Haegawa do them in one of their 1/72 weapon sets (if you can find them for sale somewhere). cant recall which specific set they are in however

I want to do a Black Buck Vulcan but am having a problem getting the Shrike missiles and ALQ-119 jamming pod they carried.

Does anybody know where I should look ? ?

remember to spray lots of little black and green lines all over your shrike for camoflage!

Selwyn

Are those dummy or replica guns in the background, or actual weapons?

They are actual Naval guns, situated overlooking Gypsy Cove (approx 400 metres from the runway at Stanley Airfield) for defence. I believe they were installed on the island in 1916-17 and then moved to Gipsy Cove c1936.

To avoid thread-creep, please pm me and I'll send you a couple more images; or you can see the guns (and the line of Vulcan bomb craters) clearly on Google Earth at position 51°41'21.86"S 57°47'1.36"W

Mike

Great photos just been on google maps with my son to see the bomb craters. They seem along way from the run way. I will be interested to see where the parts for a black buck vulcan cam be found as after reading the book I have fancied doing one but could never find the correct bits

I believe they are guns removed from the battleship HMS Canopus. Have a read of the account of the first battle of the Falklands in the First world war for full details.

Selwyn

The guns are 6 inch guns landed by HMS Lancaster in January 1917. They have been moved between several locations on the islands since, which is quite a feat as they each weigh over seven tons!

Mike

...........to see the bomb craters. They seem along way from the run way.

The craters to the south (there are more to the north) used to run right up to the runway, and one did hit the runway - just follow the trajectory/line north-east and you will see how the pattern went up to the runway. Also the runway has been modified since 1982 so much of the detail of the bomb stikes is missing.

If you look closely, there are small bomb craters all around the airfield, some of them courtesy of FAA Harriers.

Mike

Here is XM607 arriving back at Ascension after the first raid, champers all round...

falklands-8a.jpg

falklands-8b.jpg

falklands-8c.jpg

Am I not correct in thinking that -10 pods from Buccaneers were fitted under the wings?? And is that the same as AN/ALQ101, if so I have the Airfix High tech weapons set that has this in it. If it is the one, you are welcome to it Darth....Pm your address if you need it.....

Tony

Edited by swordfish fairey

Thanks for all the pictures and parts offers folks.

Ive ordered Hasegawa weapons set 4 from relish models so im ok for bits now.

I just need to know if the later Black Buck Vulcans carried Shrikes and ALQ-119 pods, or just the Shrikes.

I know the first raid blew the runway up and the later 5 raids took out the radar sites but not sure of the weapon fit.

It would probably help if I knew what mission I was going to do.

The weapon set only has 2 shrikes in it so want to do a 2 shrike and 1 pod fit, not sure if this was carried though.

I need to do some research me thinks.

After some quick research:

1- runway bombed

2-airfield bombed

3-mission cancelled due to weather

4-mission cancelled due to Victor malfunction after 5hrs airborne

5-shrike attack,fire control radar destroyed

6- shrike attack,fire control radar destroyed, divert to Rio ( Brazil) after probe tip broke

7-anti troop bomb attack

So it looks as if it was either jamming pod or shrikes carried not both.

Which is a shame as both would of looked good.

The guns are 6 inch guns landed by HMS Lancaster in January 1917. They have been moved between several locations on the islands since, which is quite a feat as they each weigh over seven tons!

Mike

I stand corrected!

Selwyn

The Osprey book "Vulcan Units of the Cold War" seems to suggest that the Shrikes were always carried on twin carriers. I can't find anything to confirm that an 101 pod was or was not carried on the other pylon when 2 Shrikes were carried. Black Buck 5 carried 2 Shrikes and Black Buck 6 carried 4.

I think that the Trumpeter F-105G has the twin carriers for Shrikes. There was also a white metal one by Harrier, way back when.

George

The Osprey book "Vulcan Units of the Cold War" seems to suggest that the Shrikes were always carried on twin carriers. I can't find anything to confirm that an 101 pod was or was not carried on the other pylon when 2 Shrikes were carried. Black Buck 5 carried 2 Shrikes and Black Buck 6 carried 4.

I think that the Trumpeter F-105G has the twin carriers for Shrikes. There was also a white metal one by Harrier, way back when.

George

Try to find pictures of the Vulcan that landed at Rio. I understand that one Shrike was fired and the other misfired on this jet so any picture should show the installation.

Selwyn

Cheers Selwyn , this is the one I think Im going to do XM597 of BB6 that diverted to Rio -Brazil with 1 shrike still on

Edited by Darth Vader

Couple of images for you

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=pmQXR69...p;q&f=false

Scroll down to page 80

As has been said before, break out the matt black and 00 paintbrush

mjvulc36.jpg

A bit of info:

http://www.thevictorassociation.org.uk/?p=1405

Seems to imply that a mix and match was an option?

Off the top of my head I think BB5 carried 2 Shrikes on one wing and the jammer on the other, and then BB6 went for 4 shrikes and no jammer... :hmmm:

I opted for XM597 on BB6, and used the C Scale conversion for one of the pylons and the twin mount, but the Hasegawa weapons set for the Shrikes:

Vulcan005s.jpg

Vulcan011s-1.jpg

Vulcan007s-1.jpg

Mike

Harrier ( a division of Chota Sahib) did indeed make a set of white metal shrikes for the Vulcan. There are four in the set, two pylons, two of the offset dual carriers and four rails. Also the two pylons are a different depth, the port pylon being shallower than the starboard.

Couple of images for you

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=pmQXR69...p;q&f=false

Scroll down to page 80

As has been said before, break out the matt black and 00 paintbrush

mjvulc36.jpg

A bit of info:

http://www.thevictorassociation.org.uk/?p=1405

Seems to imply that a mix and match was an option?

I was posted into RAF Waddington Bomb dump in June 1983. I consequently worked with a lot of the guys who had loaded these shrike missiles. They told me that when the missiles were originally fitted it was commented that these bright white missiles stood out like a sore thumb on the bottom of the Vulcan, and it was considered that this severely compromised the camoflage. (remember the Falklands Vulcans had their undersides repainted dark sea grey) As a quick solution one of the Armourers was given some money and sent down on a mission to Halfords in Lincoln to buy some cans of car spray paint "for camoflage purposes." I was toldby the person in question these were Halfords Ford matched colours!

The week before I was posted to Waddington the Unfired shrikes were unpacked by my friends for inspection by the USAF prior to being returned. when the USAF guy saw the additional spay paint camoflage he was, to say in polite terms, "Not impressed!" The RAF consequently recieved a substantial bill for a full repaint of the items.

Selwyn

Do you ever wished you hadnt started something ?

Did BB6 carry 2 Shrikes on both wings or 1 ?

Did nobody have cameras in 82 ?

Shall I just do XM607 after BB1 with a single jamming pod ?