• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 cmatthewbacon

cmatthewbacon

Very Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:46 PM

For a joint-venture diorama -- these are the chaps who will be standing around the Airfix MG Magnette and a Spitfire IX....

Posted Image

(L - R)
Ultracast -- probably the best detailed, best fitting resin figure (or indeed any medium figure) that I have ever had the pleasure to paint. The finesse of the casting is amazing, and the attention to detail outstanding. I thought I'd have to fill a couple of bubbles in the Mae West.... until I realised that they were the tiny location points for the pins in the separate oxygen mask/hose part. The arms have both socketed fittings, and a square locating pin to set the angles perfectly. A little fine flash between the legs and under the chin is all that needs cleaning up. We'll see how he paints up, but at the moment he's on a par with the Eagle Editions George Preddy figure, which is my benchmark...

Dartmoor Military Miniatures -- a white metal intelligence officer. Beautiful casting, largely seamless, and a face that really has some character. He'll be chatting to the guy just returned fro his mission. Uniform is crisp, and will sharpen up nicely with painting, I reckon...

Reheat -- cigarette-smoking officer "type" (actually, so is the Ultracast guy -- more of those Galland smoke rings...). More of a caricature than the others, but again, painted and from a distance I think he'll look fine. Detail's not as crisp as the Ultracast, though there is plenty of it.

Master Box "Johnnie Johnson" -- the only injected figure in the bunch, but very nicely sculpted and fits brilliantly. Looks nothing at all like the figure on the box-top, who is wearing uniform without flying jacket and chatting to his dog. Full of character in face and positioning, and needs minimal cleaning up once assembled.

Posted Image

...all in Tamiya Fine Surface Primer. Oddly, it immediately changes the character of the sculpts, with the faces on the DMM and Reheat guys becoming more nuanced and characterful....

bestest,
M.

#2 Brian G

Brian G

• Gold Member
  • 158 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:46 AM

These look really nice but I'd like to mention one point that screams out at me.

The Mae West that a couple of the figures are wearing appears to be inflated.

In normal use a Mae West would be quite flat, and only inflated when you were in the drink!

Regards, Brian

These look really nice but I'd like to mention one point that screams out at me.

The Mae West that a couple of the figures are wearing appears to be inflated.

In normal use a Mae West would be quite flat, and only inflated when you were in the drink!

Regards, Brian

#3 Chris D

Chris D

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:53 AM

Nice looking figures crying out for painting.

Looking forward to seeing your renditions.

Regardes

Chris

#4 cmatthewbacon

cmatthewbacon

Very Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:34 PM

Thanks, chaps! I must get me a dog, too...

I don't think they are inflated, just bulky... I doubt that two different sculptors would have made the same mistake!

Posted Image

The usual suspects...
Posted Image

Posted Image

....and that last one is not shot in the Gents urinal at RAF Kirton in Lindsey... ;-P

You can also see that there's not much "inflation" of the life vests behind the necks...

bestest,
M.

bestest,
M.

#5 Edgarovich

Edgarovich

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:12 AM

Damn, those figures look awesome!

#6 Murdo

Murdo

Very Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:49 PM

They do look very nice, I'll be watching this one with interest.

Are they 1/48?

#7 colin ritchie

colin ritchie

Established Member

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:25 AM

1/48th - no , they're in The One True Scale tm   - 1/32

• Iain (32SIG) likes this

#8 RNoAF

RNoAF

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:59 PM

What Humbrol colour do you use for the RAF uniforms? Got my 120mm Guy Gibson figure today, and cant wait to paint it. And i want a 1/32 Lancaster to go with it.

The Raf blue colour i mean....

#9 Aero Imageworks

Aero Imageworks

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:39 PM

one of them looks like johnnie Johnson except he's been given a few extra inches in height.

#10 cmatthewbacon

cmatthewbacon

Very Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 04:00 PM

...well, he should, since he's sold in the Master Box Aces set AS Johnnie Johnson himself...

As for the colour... funny you should mention that. I was just looking at the article in this month's Airfix Model World and thinking, "that's NOT a very good guide to painting RAF pilots in WW2, because the colour of the uniform is far too light, and the boots would more likely be black than brown..."

look at these chaps:

dambusters.jpg

or these:

zumbach-L.jpg

It's a pretty dark colour, and much darker than current RAF uniform blue-grey. I tend to use Vallejo colours, and start with a mix of Oxford Blue and German (Panzer) Grey. Hu 112 Field Blue looks like it might be a good place to start. Humbrol "RAF Blue" might be right for the shirts, but not for the main uniform.

...I must actually get on with these chaps, mustn't I...?

bestest,

M.

#11 Edgarovich

Edgarovich

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:14 AM

Watch this about RAF pilots - http://www.youtube.c...h?v=-nrcxb_r_jg :D

#12 JaseGill

JaseGill

Established Member

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:03 PM

Oooh they're very nice.  I've been looking at the Ultracast and Masterbox ones for a while. Must admit Ive not seen the other 2 before anywhere.

You now have me looking at the Magnette too, to go with my Mk IX Tamiya Spit.

My Father in Law has a painting with Hurricanes, dogs, a Magnette lookalike and various crew shooting the breeze and Ive always wanted to do it in scale.

How much do Magnette's go for now?  There's one on Fleabay I'm watching right now because of you ;)

J.