Hasegawa 1/72 Harrier Gr3- Hotel Build III

Next up on the bureau- Hasegawa's 1/72 GR3-

The kit has lurked in the stash for a decade or more and I assembled the fuselage some years ago and put the box away- now she gets the chance to see daylight again!

Box shot:

HarrierGr3.jpg

More to come...

• 1 month later...

Well its been a while, but I have been working on the Harrier, just not posting any progress...so apologies for the "waiting for a bus and then three come at once" experience on this one...

Cleaned up some of the component parts, including an attempt at scribing out some of the plastic steps on the nozzles:

IMAG0231.jpg

In-expertly attempted to create the auxilliary air door spaces on the intakes which are so characteristic of the parked harrier and are conspiculously missing from the Hasegawa kit:

IMAG0252.jpg

and added some detail to the cockpit with some plastic stock and some decals from the spares box..

IMAG0261.jpg

IMAG0257.jpg

Another one along in a minute....

On with the build..

Another view of the cockpit, a bit of putty, some plastic stock and tamiya tape straps, I think it looks ok from about 3 feet if you squint a bit :hypnotised:

IMAG0262.jpg

And so the major assembly is complete:

IMAG0263.jpg

Shot of the underside, gun pods fitted:

IMAG0264.jpg

Bit of filler required at the forward fuselage joint:

IMAG0266.jpg

Its a nice little kit, although I may track down the esci/italeri version to compare.

Thanks for looking!

Thanks for the support Parabat, much appreciated!

The harrier gets some paint after a bit of seam clean up etc..

IMAG0268.jpg

Sprayed with Humbrol enamel, and a hint of pre-shade..

IMAG0270.jpg

IMAG0269.jpg

IMAG0268.jpg

Really enjoying Humbrol these days, great coverage, thins with just about anything and dries pretty quick in these warmer climes...

On the home straight now, and for those of you old enough to remember vinyl, imagine the needle takes a big jump and skips to the end of the track! (what I really mean is I didn't take any pics of the interim stages!)

IMAG0275.jpg

All tooled up with a somewhat "Heroic" weapons load, doubt she'd have got much further than the fence line with this lot on, but Hasegawa don't provide the standard 100 Gallon tanks...anyway- imagine its an airshow or something...

IMAG0279.jpg

A bit of silvering on some of the decals- can't quite get to grips with xtracrilyc Gloss varnish, I think I need something that's banned in the state of california and really harms aquatic organisms to get a really good gloss coat.

IMAG0277.jpg

Well thats another one done, and very enjoyable too- next time I'll install the rear "hot" nozzles before I paint as they were a bit of a fight to fit afterwards..

I'd have a better stab at the aux air doors.

Overall though a lovely kit, fine engraved panel lines, pretty good fit and a ton of stencil decals and a useful stores selection.

A fine addition to the office cabinet!

IMAG0276.jpg

I'll stick some shots in RFI when I get some daylight on her!

Thanks for looking,

Troffa

• Like 2

• 4 years later...

Hi There Mr VSTOL til I die,

Sorry for the delay in my response to your query on this thread, but it is 5 years old and I only just noticed your question! :-) 

For the Aux air intakes around the intake, the uppermost of which droop under gravity when the aircraft is parked, I removed the plastic from the upper section of the intake, added some styrene struts to form the structure surrounding the doors, and then added plasticard  squares set at the required jaunty angle to represent the drooped door. Looking back, with the benefit of hindsight, they are not perfect, but its a fair stab.

as for masking, Tamiya Tape (Get some now!)  and BluTak worms have served me well for over 20 years. Here is a pic of a tempest that I did around the same time to illustrate.

11-3B8B1A54-260664-800.jpg

Thanks for your interest in my thread, and happy modelling!

Cheers,

Troffa. In Jakarta, in a hotel, with a hasegawa 1/48 FG-1 on the go- Plus ca change! 

• Like 1