Revell 1-72 F-16B +++FINISHED+++

Hi all,

I'm always a bit nervous about doing STGBs, as I end up doing a OOB build along with a collection of modellers who know the aircraft in question so much better than I do, and who can never understand why I don't fix the 'obvious' issues with my kit! :) And the F-16 seems to fit into that category even more, what with its many versions and Blocks etc.!

Anyhow, I'm hoping to build this aircraft :

RealOne.jpg

using this kit :

Box.jpg

Like I said, it'll all be OOB. If there are simple, obvious fixes that can improve the accuracy ( like 'just cut off that anntena' ) then I've no problem doing them ( and please feel free to advise me on them, all help appreciated! ). But I don't have the talent or patience to redesign the kit! :) The details in the kit looks quite nice, I'd imagine it's Revell's standard F-16 ( does such a thing exist? ) with an extra sprue for the twin-seater cockpit :

Sprues.jpg

Speaking of extra sprues, Revell, in their wisdom, have given me two clear sprues, so if anyone is doing a F-16B kit for this STGB and are looking for parts, just let me know!

Canopies.jpg

Finally, the decals in the box. You can do three versions, and obviously I'll be doing the Box Art :

Decals.jpg

One thing I have noticed from the pic of the real aircraft is that the horizontal stabilators are angled ( I'm guessing due to hydraulic pressure dropping? ). Is that standard for F-16s, and should I model it that way?

It'll probably be a few days before I get started on her, but thanks in advance for any help and advice!

J.

Edited by Jasonb13

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it's been a month, and apart from priming some sprues, I've done nothing!

But today I finally got the sprue cutters out. And I already have a question!

According to the Revell instructions, the two Joysticks should be curving back towards the Pilots ( when normally Joysticks curve away from them, if that makes sense? ). And also the two throttles ( if that's what they are ), are pointing out towards the side of the cockpit, when normally they should come in towards the pilot.?

I don't know if I'm making sense or not, and my quick search hasn't helped. So, are the Revell instructions wrong?

Thanks!

J.

Hi Jason,

I had a look at the instructions via a pdf for your build - I can't conclusively say yay or nay to them being right without seeing the parts in the flesh.

Take a gander at this pic; You can clearly see the throttle on the left and controller on the right.

simpic2.jpg

(jetfighters.dk)

And to answer your question re the stabs, yes, they do 'flop' down when powered down, so it would be accurate to model them so. If you put the pilots in , you could model them level... B)

Cool, thanks for that pic! From what I can see of the Revell instructions, the top of the Joystick is curved back towards the pilot ( i.e. in the pic you've given it'd be like the buttons on top of the joystick would be facing forward, which is clearly wrong! ). And the throttle on the left in your pic seems to have a lot more on its right, towards the pilot, then on its left, towards the canopy, also different to the Instructions. So it looks like Revell got those two pieces backwards!

And I rarely do pilots so I guess I'll be looking at the Stabilators being sloped down, thanks!

J.

Dang! Should have asked this before I "fuddled" the throttle/joystick in mine....I do have a pilot in though so they're fairly hard to see now.

Take your time on the intake assembly too Jason; mine needed dry-fitting a few times and I still managed to make a small error that will need fixing.Other than that, I'm enjoying it!!

Dermot

Viper stabilizers can be put anyway you want them. Sometimes the two sides don't even match up :-) So do as you like.

It is a lovely kit. The decals are the only down side, they've decided to use red instead of orange on the stencils.

Finally something to show! I'd normally have this kind of build done in about 3 weeks, so the fact that it's nearly 6 weeks on shows I've been *very* slow with this one, life just got very busy! Anyhow, I've got the cockpits done and in place. As usual, macro photography doesn't do my skills any favours, but it'll do for this scale, and it'll all be under the canopy anyhow...

J.

Cockpits1.jpg

Cockpits2.jpg

Thanks Mish!

Have a little more work done. Some of it is only dry-fitted, and a lot of filling is needed, but at least it looks like an F-16! :)

J.

P.S. All those little aerials on the wings and vertical stabiliser are going to be a git, I can tell! :banghead:

Airframe1.jpg

Edited by Jasonb13

Thanks Dermot! Just glad to finally be making some progress on this. Got some filling done yesterday, I'll hopefully get some sanding done tomorrow and with a bit of luck I'll be able to take advantage of the good weather to get the airframe primed this week. I've already used white primer for the wheel bays and intake ( so much easier than brush painting ) so I'll make sure I have them well masked before hand...

J.

Any pointers on the filling Jason? What areas/how you tackled it?

Myself, I noticed around the engine intake and where the front fuselage meets the rear but would hate to lose all that engraved detail...

Thanks in advance.

Dermot

They are definitely the main areas Dermot! The intake isn't too bad, as there isn't a lot of detail there. I'll have a go at sanding it tonight and see how smooth I can get it.

The join at the top between the front and back fuselages is a different kettle of fish. As you've said, there's a lot of detail there. Not sure how good a job I can do. I'll use tape to cover the detail and then sand, but it's not gonna be pretty! :)

J.

Thanks davidsm!

However, I must admit, I'm really struggling with this one. I'm not sure why, but I'm just not motivated about it. I do know some of the kit issues ( not great fit and a surprising amount of flash for a good Revell kit ) don't help, but apart from that I still just can't get my mojo going. I did some work this evening, but I ended up doing more assembly and less filling / sanding, in the hopes that it coming together would inspire me. In fact, I've probably made it harder to do some of the necessary filling / sanding now, as I've stuck more bits on! And that just shows how I'm fighting this build, as normally I think out the steps well in advance.

Anyhow, I did get something done though, and she's pretty much ready for primer. Well.... all the bits are on, but I need to do a lot more filling / sanding before I'd prime her. The pics aren't great, but the join on top of the wing still needs work, as does the nose, tail, exhaust. intake etc. etc. Once that's all done I'll prime her and see how she looks. It definitely won't be one of my better builds though!

J.

Airframe2.jpg

Airframe3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks!

I am still making slow progress on this. I was away for a few days, but before I went I got the filling / sanding done and got her primed. I've also got the Light Grey ( one of 4 shades of grey on this aircraft - you gotta love Modern Jets! ) painted on the underside.

When I get time I'll get the rest of the airframe painted. As a brush painter, I'm a bit worried that I won't get the tail looking nice, that gradient of dark blue to light blue will be impossible to get right.

I'm also thinking of trying to do the red cover on the rear pod, any suggestions on how to do this? I was thinking maybe Tamiya tape?

Anyhow, here are the pics...

J.

Primed1.jpg

Primed2.jpg

• Like 1

Well, I am still making progress on this, though it's very slow work ( mainly 'cos I either don't have the time or the motivation! ). I've a month left to finish, so I need to get my act together...

I have the airframe pretty much painted now. I still need to do the lighter blue section on the tail, I'm trying to think of how to do it so that the change in colour looks gradual, but as a brush painter I just don't think I can! Once the tail is painted, I can put the first coat of Klear on it.

However, as much as the airframe is taking shape, I've done nothing at all with the undercarriage, wheels, weapons etc., so there's still a good bit to go!

J.

Painted1.jpg