Hasegawa 1/48th F-16B 331 skv RNoAF

The centerline "tank" is not a tank - but a travel pod. Basically a luggage container strapped under the plane. You have it in the Hasegawa kit, only it's up-side down as the door opens downwards and not upwards as Hasegawa would like you to do it.

Just cut of the mouting blocks on it and turn around and attach it.

The centerline "tank" is not a tank - but a travel pod. Basically a luggage container strapped under the plane. You have it in the Hasegawa kit, only it's up-side down as the door opens downwards and not upwards as Hasegawa would like you to do it.

Just cut of the mouting blocks on it and turn around and attach it.

Yes and no! I know the luggage pod you mean, i.e. the one that appears in the kit, but my pics from the airshow show something else entirely. It is exactly the same shape and size as a centreline tank, but the access panel is at the forward end, on the left hand side, as oppposed to the centre as in the original travel pod. Also, the access panel is assymetric in shape. I have heard fuel tanks are occasionally converted into larger capacity luggage pods; I always assumed that was the case here. I'll try and scan in the photo so I show you what I mean.

Best regards, Paul

Yes, please scan the pic - very interested to see what this is? I know the Danes have domestically developed travel pods, but as far as I know these have not been sold abroad, specially not to Norway, so this is indeed interesting

Yes, please scan the pic - very interested to see what this is? I know the Danes have domestically developed travel pods, but as far as I know these have not been sold abroad, specially not to Norway, so this is indeed interesting

Will do! am out with tomorrow (23 11year olds to London...) but will try to kick our scanner into life wednesday. I've rechecked the photo against other contemporary f-16 pics at the same angle withthe classic cylindrical travel pod, and it definitely seems much bigger, ellipitical and much closer to the ground. Would be v.interested to get your thoughts in due course!

Paul

Evening all,

am beginning to see the end of this project. The main airframe is now painted and decalled with just about all the stencils. The misting of the black walkways using grey paint went surprisingly well - it matches photos of the dark grey walkways of this era very well. I've also used Tamiya chromate yellow for the leading edges of the wings, fin and tailplanes to match that yellowish tape that the Norwegians use on their F-16s. Next steps are to get all the tanks and pylons painted with light ghost grey, then to install the undercarriage. Am really pushing to get this finished by Sunday! More pics tomorrow.

Regards, Paul

P7110034.jpg

Right - after a solid day of decalling, detail work and varnishing, here it is . . . for what it's worth! Am really pleased with it; I've been wanting to model this particular aircraft ever since I saw it at the North Weald Fighter Meet 21 years ago. Can't believe where the time has gone. Anyway, excuse the dodgy photography - this is really something to get a grip on. On the the F-104 group build, where I plan a 331 skv airframe to go with this one . . .

P7150037.jpg

P7150038.jpg

P7150041.jpg

P7150039.jpg