Best ME109 to buy (1/48 scale)

treker_ed

With a budget of £40 - and pending the release of the Eduard profipack - what would the reccommendation be for a version of the above kit (preferably one of the later marks)?

No display space for anything bigger than 1/48 and 1/72 is too small for my sausage sized fingers!!!!

Edited by treker_ed

If you have left over decals from previous builds, you could consider an overtrees kit. At one third less the cost, it is the profi-kit in a plain box, no instructions (which can easily be downloaded from Eduard's website) and no decals. The sale of the E-1 boxed as this is over, but I'm not sure if they will do this with any of the other 109 versions.

regards,

Jack

What version you want is the key, plus how involved you want your build.

For a Bf 109E-1 Airfix as mentioned, then the Eduard kit. The Eduard kit will be the most involved with the engine and PE parts. I have both on the table now.

Bf 109E3/4/7 I still prefer the Tamiya Emil, simple easy build. Airfix is nice for a E-3 also, E-4/7 you run into the issue of the canopy being wrong for the type.

Bf 109F-2 Zvezda is the best, then the ICM molds (RoG having these on lease at the moment)

Hasegawa makes a nice line of Bf 109's also, price is the key here since they can be expensive..

The Academy later Bf 109's build up well with some tweakes

i am currently working on an airfix 1/48 - which is good but could be better - i was rather hoping to push my self a little bit with it - i'm not into super detailing and scratch building etc - i just do it for pleasure and not to be entered into any shows. If it's not 100% accurate down to the last rivet i'm the only one who will know as the rest of the people that see them are not really interested in planes!

I will however, use photo-etch stuff and am getting reasonable with bending and folding it. I have also just started using an airbrush so getting used to that as well.

So basically what is better that the airfix?

The detailing on the Eduard kit is a lot finer than Airfix's, plus you get the colour etch with the all important seatbelts and also the canopy mask, which is a very handy thing to have. The Airfix good is a good alternative, if you want to buy the mask and etch for the Airfix kit though, it might cost you the same overall as the Eduard kit.

thanks

Mike

With a budget of £40 - and pending the release of the Eduard profipack - what would the reccommendation be for a version of the above kit (preferably one of the later marks)?

No display space for anything bigger than 1/48 and 1/72 is too small for my sausage sized fingers!!!!

My Airfix Club ME109 Kit, I don't build 1/48th and can't wait to get shot! Anything in 1/72nd you want to trade?

My Airfix Club ME109 Kit, I don't build 1/48th and can't wait to get shot! Anything in 1/72nd you want to trade?

Sorry Acky190 - i only do 1/72 in Bombers! all my fighters are 1/48!

I do however have 4 exceptions to that rule (my rules i can bend them at will!!!!)

1/32 - Revel He111

1/32 - Revel Typhoon

1/32 - Revel Mig29 gt/ub

1/24 - Aifix Mossie!

I find 1/72 for bombers is just about the right sort of size - and i can display them reasonably ok at the moment.

Sorry Acky190 - i only do 1/72 in Bombers! all my fighters are 1/48!

I do however have 4 exceptions to that rule (my rules i can bend them at will!!!!)

1/32 - Revel He111

1/32 - Revel Typhoon

1/32 - Revel Mig29 gt/ub

1/24 - Aifix Mossie!

I find 1/72 for bombers is just about the right sort of size - and i can display them reasonably ok at the moment.

Far too big for me mate! I will stick to my 3 1/72nd Hawks!

For early (Bf 109B thru E) 109s, I've enjoyed the Hasegawa, Tamiya (both for the 109E), and Hobbycraft (Academy) (109B thru K) kits.

For later 109s (Bf 109F thru K) I like the Hasegawa Fs and the Revell and Hobbycraft Fs, Gs and Ks. The Hasegawa and Fujimi Gs and Ks are very nice kits, but they tend to be a little higher in price than I care to spend.

Please note,I'm just talking about the build-experience, I can't comment at all on accuracy or otherwise of said kits.

I'm currently building the Airfix E 1 and the Hasegawa E4/7 Trop side by side. Both have issues but the Airfix kit has gone together with less drama and filler so has been sitting waiting in the paint shop for the Hase kit to "catch up". I would definitely buy another Airfix kit (and live with the heavy panel lines, odd shaped oil cooler and thick/incorrect canopies) over the Hasegawa's dodgy fit around the nose and under wing, although it does have decent clear plastic, more detail in the cockpit and fine panel lines.

Either will make up into nice models though.

I would definitely buy another Airfix kit (and live with the heavy panel lines, odd shaped oil cooler and thick/incorrect canopies)

Actually the Airfix Emil oil cooler is better shaped (more accurate) than Hasegawa's by an order of magnitude... Not to mention the E-4 underwing ammo bulges.

Vedran

Edited by dragonlanceHR

Actually the Airfix Emil oil cooler is better shaped (more accurate) than Hasegawa's by an order of magnitude... Not to mention the E-4 underwing ammo bulges.

Vedran

My apologies to Airfix, I compared them both to some drawings and judged the Airfix kit to be more like a later 109's oil cooler. I agree about the cannon bulges. How did the heavy framed canopy get in the Airfix box? My guess is someone measured up Hendon's Emil that has a later canopy fitted (by the museum) as that aircraft had no canopy when recovered.

I recently finished the Eduard BF109 E1 and you definitely get your moneys worth.

link

If you add the price of some PE and then some canopy masks to the price of the Airfix boxing not much difference in price.

Martin .

For later model Messerschmitts the ICM F-2 kit is really good, even better than some of the higher priced kits, but for the money the old Fujimi G model with variants kit will give you tons of options. It has a few drawbacks, the canopy fit for instance, but if you display it open it will look fine, there is always vacuform replacements if you are picky, and the decal options, depending on how old the decals are, are incredible. And in the long run you can always jump to a Hasegawa or Tamiya later on while you get your Luftwaffe camouflage techniques (believe me, Luftwaffe paint schemes can drive you bonkers) honed on the cheaper Fujimi's. Also the old Airfix F-2 kit is amazing for it's age, and can easily be bought very cheaply. Hope this helps.

Cheers

My apologies to Airfix, I compared them both to some drawings and judged the Airfix kit to be more like a later 109's oil cooler. I agree about the cannon bulges. How did the heavy framed canopy get in the Airfix box? My guess is someone measured up Hendon's Emil that has a later canopy fitted (by the museum) as that aircraft had no canopy when recovered.

Bingo :D