Hasegawa 1/48th F-16B Fighting Falcon

My second entry for this group build is going to be this Hasegawa 1/48th F-16B Fighting Falcon. As always there will be some extras including an Aires cockpit and exhaust. The cockpit is for an MLU B but should be close enough to fool all but the knowledgeable ones, here's hoping so anyway. It's going to be done as one of the Navy Aggressor versions from the NSAWC based at Fallon, just not sure which one yet.

The Kit: -

IMG_9651.jpg

The Bits: -

IMG_9652.jpg

The Extras: -

IMG_9653.jpg

The Colours: -

IMG_9655.jpg

IMG_9656.jpg

Another fun build waiting to greet the starting gun.

Pete

Mike, the Aires cockpit has been my job for the day and it's not that bad. The fiddliest bit is notching around the front instrument coaming but if you take your time and fettle away carefully and check regularly it goes ok. The rear end of the cockpit needs thinning to paper thin and a chunk cutting out to miss the internal intake moulding on the kit, but again not too bad. I'll take a picture of the resin part on its own next post so you can see what I mean. Here is one of it in place for starters: -

IMG_9663.jpg

More soon

Pete

• 3 weeks later...

A little bit more done on this one and although slow, progress is being made. I've got the cockpit almost ready to glue in place and just the ejector seats to finish up.

First picture is the resin all ready for a wash (both my F-16 builds bits in the tub): -

IMG_9664.jpg

Next, a few pictures of the cockpit as it stands: -

IMG_9756.jpg

IMG_9757.jpg

IMG_9758.jpg

And one dry fitted in place: -

IMG_9759.jpg

And finally one for Mike. Sorry it took so long but this is how much the bottom needs thinning and the cut-out at the back to clear the kit plastic: -

IMG_9760.jpg

Lots more to do but I'm nearly through the slowest part of all my builds.

More soon

Pete

• 4 weeks later...

I can't believe that it's been a month since I posted anything on this one, where has it gone? Things have been progressing though, although obviously slowly even though it doesn't feel like it has. I have got everything glued that needs to be before paint can be applied. The seams took a bit of work to get right but all looks good now and I'm onto the colour adding phase.

IMG_0043.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

IMG_0047.jpg

IMG_0048.jpg

A minor hiccup was put right after I realised that I had painted both horizontal tails the same way up, not good but all correct now, I hope.

More soon

Pete

My second entry for this group build is going to be this Hasegawa 1/48th F-16B Fighting Falcon. As always there will be some extras including an Aires cockpit and exhaust. The cockpit is for an MLU B but should be close enough to fool all but the knowledgeable ones, here's hoping so anyway. It's going to be done as one of the Navy Aggressor versions from the NSAWC based at Fallon, just not sure which one yet.

Another fun build waiting to greet the starting gun.

Pete

Ah, a popular subject. Just saw a pair of these at China lake a few weeks back.

BTW; the MLU F-16BM Cockpit is quite fart off from a standard F-16B Block 15 cockpit; even to the average F-16 knowledgeable person. The BM Cockpit is essentially a D model cockpit. I know it’s too late now, but for future reference.

Nice work as its coming along fine. Do you have the proper late LWG wheels?

Mike V

Ah, a popular subject. Just saw a pair of these at China lake a few weeks back.

BTW; the MLU F-16BM Cockpit is quite fart off from a standard F-16B Block 15 cockpit; even to the average F-16 knowledgeable person. The BM Cockpit is essentially a D model cockpit. I know it’s too late now, but for future reference.

Nice work as its coming along fine. Do you have the proper late LWG wheels?

Mike V

Mike, thanks for taking an interest.

I know that it's different but the Aires cockpit, even wrong, is much better than the kit one and nobody does a 'B' cockpit that I know of, so I made the decision to go with it.

The late LWG wheels are, hopefully, on their way from Doug at Royale Resin and will make an appearance soon.

Pete

Yep, the Aires pit is better than the kit, even if it's wrong Block wise. Block Box used to make a B cockpit for the Hasegawa kit; overall more accurate than Aires. Too bad it's been OOP for a while. We have an A model cockpit due out this Nationals, but it's for the Tamiya kit. It'll be a while before we do the B though. :winkgrin:

Good deal on the RR Wheels. They'll complete the kit externally.

Cheers

Mike V

Mike - Good luck with the A cockpit but when are you going to get around to releasing the F-22 correction bits for the Academy? I have money burning a hole in my pocket waiting to place an order.

I've done a bit more work on this one. Several hours of masking took place before I could get the next colour on. I had to mix an acrylic version of the darker blue FS35109 because nobody makes it, not that I could find anyway. A combination of Vallejo Dark Blue, Light Turquoise, Intermediate Blue and Black gave me something that I like and can live with. I also did a bit of masking on the baggage pod which was headache inducing but it's getting there.

First a shot of the immense masking job: -

IMG_0050.jpg

And the pod: -

IMG_0051.jpg

And finally a few of the paint job so far. I've got all the basic colours on and a lightened mix of each for panel fading. I'm quiet pleased as there's only one touch up required where a bit crept under the mask near the tail: -

IMG_0052.jpg

IMG_0053.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

Oh and nearly forgot the pod so far, one colour on and more masking to do: -

IMG_0054.jpg

The next step is to remask the wing tips and spray the pylons as well as the nose RWR's? and then the wheel bays. I'm getting there.

More soon

Pete

Edited by Peter W

Mike - Good luck with the A cockpit but when are you going to get around to releasing the F-22 correction bits for the Academy? I have money burning a hole in my pocket waiting to place an order.

I've done a bit more work on this one. Several hours of masking took place before I could get the next colour on. I had to mix an acrylic version of the darker blue FS35109 because nobody makes it, not that I could find anyway. A combination of Vallejo Dark Blue, Light Turquoise, Intermediate Blue and Black gave me something that I like and can live with. I also did a bit of masking on the baggage pod which was headache inducing but it's getting there.

And finally a few of the paint job so far. I've got all the basic colours on and a lightened mix of each for panel fading. I'm quiet pleased as there's only one touch up required where a bit crept under the mask near the tail: -

IMG_0052.jpg

The next step is to remask the wing tips and spray the pylons as well as the nose RWR's? and then the wheel bays. I'm getting there.

More soon

Pete

Impressive mask/paint work; bravo :clap2:

The F-22 stuff should be out by next month, though in limited quantities. We're negotiating an export to Japan. Coupled with the IPMS Nationals this August, most of our product line will be limited for the next few months. We'll also be discontinuing a few items from our initial line up to make way for new products. The Tamiya F-16A Conversion is proving to be a major undertaking, though is well worth the results. More to come.

Looking forward to seeing this one completed.

Mike V

Thanks guys.

Small update today. I managed to get the touch ups and odd bits painted today and I think that it's nearly ready for a gloss coat. I also spent a bit of time getting the baggage pod sprayed, masked up and sprayed again and this is in the glossing pile too.

Just a couple of pics of the baggage pod for now. It's not exactly accurate but gives an impression of what it's like: -

IMG_0056.jpg

IMG_0057.jpg

Tomorrow should see some progress on the white bits, sidewinders and Tacts pod. I feel like I'm finally getting somewhere on this one now.

Back soon

Pete

Thanks Parabat, it was a fun little masking job, that's for sure. I have to say that it was made easier with the Optivisor that my wife got me for my birthday. I usually do these fiddly things through the magnifying part of a set of helping hands but I'm forever knocking them onto the model which isn't good when it's painted. I used the optivisor for the first time to do this and it's great. As said elsewhere, you do look daft with them on but what a great addition to my modelling tools.

Todays little update is the TACTS pods, CATM AIM-9, drop tank with flaking paint and weapons pylons. I painted the pylons in different colours just to add a bit of variety on the finished build, as if the paint scheme doesn't give you enough. I doubled up on the TACTS pod and AIM-9 as I need a set for my other build, the F-16N

IMG_0058.jpg

It's rare for me to have all of these fiddly bits done this early but I'm glad to have them ready. I've a bit more to do on the drop tank but it's taking shape.

More soon

Pete

Edited by Peter W

Nice work on the masking there.

But kust for interest I think there is a masking set for this scheme now

http://www.luckymodel.com/scale.aspx?item_no=JW-PPA5012

Calum, masks are for lightweight modellers, where's the fun in having it all done for you :winkgrin: Seriously they do look good though and I wish that I'd seen them before I started. Too late now though, there's no looking back on this one.

Pete

Calum, masks are for lightweight modellers, where's the fun in having it all done for you :winkgrin: Seriously they do look good though and I wish that I'd seen them before I started. Too late now though, there's no looking back on this one.

Pete

Call me a light weight then :) But you're doing a terrific job on a challenging scheme