Hasegawa 1/48th F-16N Fighting Falcon

I've had this kit for as long as I can remember, it's probably the oldest unbuilt one left after my stash cull of a few years ago. There's even a faded price sticker of £7.99 on the box, my how times have changed. Based on that fact then it's about time to get it built. I'm going to build it as a Navy/Marines F-16N and add a few extras to spice it up. I think that this kit should do it as the 'N' model was small inlet - big engine, I believe, and this coupled with an Aires GE Block 30/40/50/60 engine should tick all the boxes. If you know different please say now before I wade in feet first.

Firstly the kit: -

IMG_9645.jpg

Then the bits: -

IMG_9646.jpg

Add some extras, I've got an Aires nozzle set somewhere that will be added: -

IMG_9648.jpg

And lastly the colours she'll wear, not sure which one yet but will decide as it progresses: -

IMG_9649.jpg

IMG_9650.jpg

Roll on Saturday as I'm in modelling limbo at the moment, just finished one and didn't want to start on anything else before this Group Build

Primed and ready to have some fun

Pete

Edited by Peter W

Thanks for the help Pete ,dont know if you are doing the Marine F16 N ,I have blown the two bobs paint plain up

to 1/48 if you need it let me know

wellzy :headphones:

Sean, thanks for the confirmation. I was pretty certain already but nice to have a second opinion.

I've made a start today on the resin cockpit fitting. It's the usual trials and tribulations with an Aires cockpit but,apart from some fiddly shaping and cuttings, it goes ok. The rear of the kit bulkhead needs some intricate cuts and filing to get it in, as does the instrument coaming but looks good once done. On with the pictures: -

The rear end cut-out: -

IMG_9659.jpg

Cockpit in place: -

IMG_9658.jpg

Coaming fettled in: -

IMG_9661.jpg

Back soon

Pete

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks all for the comments, I always enjoy the challenge of an Aires cockpit. It's like a personnal challenge to make them fit as I'm sure it's not what Aires intended us to be able to do. Getting a bit further into this one now or more accurately, getting further on with the cockpit and soon be ready to fit. Not much to show but a few pictures to show that I've done something: -

IMG_9753.jpg

IMG_9754.jpg

IMG_9755.jpg

More soon

Pete

Thanks Guys,

More progress although still small steps and more boring cockpit shots. It's finally glued in place and several headache inducing nights of photo-etched ejector seat beats has got me here: -

IMG_9782.jpg

IMG_9783.jpg

IMG_9785.jpg

IMG_9786.jpg

I need to Matt coat the ejector set one more time but it should be full steam ahead gluing some plastic together now. The next post will see something looking more like an F-16, i hope.

Pete

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a while since an update but work hasn't stopped on this one. I've managed to get it all together and lots of seams have been filled and an undercoat applied. I have added a couple of aggressor specific bits under the intakes, robbed from a Kinetic kit but the F-16N didn't carry much more beyond these a TACTS pod and a training Sidewinder.

IMG_0041.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

Now for the awkward camouflage scheme, fingers crossed that it all goes well

More soon

Pete

• 4 weeks later...

Having finished the F-16B that I was building alongside this one I figure that I'd better get a move on with this one now. I sprayed the base colour on and have just finished a couple of hours of masking ready for the darker grey to go on tomorrow. The plan is to have it glossed by the weekend otherwise the end date might be a bit tight.

A couple of pictures to show some progress: -

IMG_0195.jpg

IMG_0196.jpg

Back soon

Pete

The mission to get this one glossed up by the weekend was successful and it's now drying ready for a decal session tomorrow. I've decided to paint this up as an aircraft from VF-126 in the 'Sukoi' scheme and mainly because it's not commonly done scheme. Shouldn't it be 'Sukhoi' though? I've no idea so I'll have to trust Fightertown because that's what their sheet says. I was going to use the Two Bobs sheet but the F-16B I've just finished had these markings on the same sheet, so it makes sense to use it. On with the pictures: -

Basic colours on: -

IMG_0197.jpg

IMG_0198.jpg

IMG_0199.jpg

And a couple glossed up: -

IMG_0240.jpg

IMG_0241.jpg

I just might make the deadline with a few good nights modelling, we'll see.

More soon

Pete

Parabat, I agree but it still looks wrong.

The finishing line is almost been reached and I think that I will, without major mishap, safely get this one done for the Sunday deadline. I've got most of the loose bits glued in place and just a few things like the HUD, AOA sensors and all those things that can cause grief left to do. I wasn't sure about the scheme on this one when I first got it painted but, now that the markings are on and it's been dulled down, I am beginning to feel good about it. A few pictures before the last bits are done: -

IMG_0242.jpg

IMG_0243.jpg

IMG_0244.jpg

Next post should be the finished build, fingers crossed.

Pete

Thanks guys.

This ones all done now and ready for the gallery. This must be the first time that I've ever finished a model for a group build with time to spare. Even more amazing that it's the second one completed for it. I've really enjoyed taking part in this one as well. Funnily enough I've never had much love for the F-16 but doing these two makes me want to build many more. Onto the last couple of pictures before heading off to the gallery: -

IMG_0258.jpg

IMG_0267.jpg

IMG_0264.jpg

IMG_0262.jpg

Thanks for the interest and can't wait to get on with the next group build now.

Pete