Sepecat Jaguar GR.3A FORWARD FUSELAGE MASTERS COMPLETE...MOSTLY

It's been a while since I started a proper build thread. So much of my time has been spent on projects for others - I haven't had time to build something for myself. So after finally clearing off everyone else's "to do" lists, I have actually started cutting some plastic. This has been a long time in the making. Some of you may remember the original computer work I posted some time ago. Old Jag Thread! I have since completely redrawn the computer model and finished the exterior details. After some close scrutiny the plans I used to start the model just were not up to snuff and a redo was in order.

Here are the shots: Keen eyes will find some missing fillets and blends in the surfaces (gun shrouds and engine to fuse join - come to mind). These fillets are really difficult to create on the computer model, but much easier on the physical one - so I opted not to duplicate them.

jaglookie12.png

jaglookie11.png

jaglookie10.png

jaglookie5.png

jaglookie4.png

The primary purpose of the 3d model is make sure the parts fit together - for example the flaps - I may even make them posable on the real model.

jaglookie8.png

jaglookie7.png

These are the forms that will make up the internal structure.

jaglookie14.png

jaglookie13.png

After a long days work - computer pictures turn into real model pieces.

jagskeleton2.jpg

jagskeleton3.jpg

jagskeleton1.jpg

More soon,

Timmy!

Edited by Timmy!
  • Like 6

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement already!

Wow! I'm going to follow this with interest. What material will you use for the skin?

The model will have a "skin" over the "solid form" of aluminum sheet. Not to worry I'll explain as I go.

Wow impressive project! I will watch with real interest!! What Software are you using?

Phil

I'm using Rhino and VectorWorks. VectorWorks for the 2d tools and printing and Rhino for the 3d shapes.

I suspect this is going to be spectacular - long term but spectacular. I wish I had CAD skills. How many hours went into creating the drawings?

It's been a long time coming, sneaking an hour in here an there - hundreds of hours I'd say. It's still not done though - lots more interior details to be rendered.

That's a superb CAD model.

Could do with your CAD skills over in the flight simming community.

Maybe so, but I'm really not the best surface modeler - yet - but I'm learning.

More progress shots. To me these are like watching sausage being made - ugly! Anyway I have a couple more bulkheads to add more balsa sheet filler and auto body filler and sand the whole thing to shape. It was suggested that I include some items for scale - that's why there's a 1/48th scale F-4S and an X-acto knife in the pics.

jagskeleton6.jpg

jagskeleton5.jpg

jagskeleton4.jpg

Edited by Timmy!
  • Like 2

Hello Tim,that is fantastic,i was wondering what happed to you as i watched with anticipation when you built your Bronco.We are in for a treat guys,hold on to your seats :worthy: ......................Neil

• 2 weeks later...

Some progress. Again with the sausage pictures. I filled the frame with pieces of 1/16" balsa sheet to fill most of the empty space, leaving about an 1/8" or so to fill with putty. (Think plaster and lathe walls). Originally I planned to use body filler but I found a stash of Apoxie Sculpt and decided to try it. Body filler is tougher to work with and requires application, sand, fill gaps and bubbles...repeat...ad nauseum! The Apoxie Sculpt can be applied and formed to the rough shape and sands about the same. It should save time in the end compared to body filler. Here are the shots after application - rough I know - but you can at least see the rough shape. Even though I boxed out a lot is space with the balsa it still took 4 pounds of Apoxie Sculpt to cover the fuselage.

jagputty1.jpg

jagputty2.jpg

jagputty3.jpg

Also my photo etch work I just received from the etcher. This will be the motivation to keep the project moving - can't wait to play with the stuff!

jagpe3.jpg

jagpe2.jpg

jagpe1.jpg

More soon as the sanding begins!

Edited by Timmy!
  • Like 2