1/48 F-16C-25, 111thFS, 147thFG, special scheme

I am going to do this scheme. 111th Fighter Squadron, 147th Fighter Group, P-26 commemorative scheme, Houston TX 2007.

004.jpg

I have no idea which kit yet as I haven't got it! I have a very nice Hasegawa 'C' (the Misawa one) but I want to do that in the kit decals. So I will try and get a suitable kit at Poole this weekend. You just gotta love that yellow wings retro look!

Edited by AndyC

That's a lovely scheme, one of my favourite F-16 specials!
Very nice scheme Andy look forward to seeing it.

wellzy :headphones:

Cheers guys - I hope I can do it justice. The requisite kit is on order - I'm going to use the Academy F-16C 'Flying Razorbacks' issue as this is the appropriate Block 25/32 a/c.

Photographs once it arrives in the post

You better order some filler as well,got the same kit it`s

not a good fit had a few sinks on mine as well.

Edited by wellzy

You better order some filler as well,got the same kit it`s

not a good fit had a few sinks on mine as well.

Hmm...the reviews of the kit I have seen didn't mention poor fit - however I'm not afraid of a bit of filler (see my Mustang and F-14 GB entries! :D).

EDIT - you're right - it's almost a carbon of the Hase kit - oh well! And I've just seen your build too!

Edited by AndyC

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Obligatory box and sprue shots...

001.jpg

I will make a start later this week now the FW190 GB is out of the way. Not sure what to do about cockpit/seat detailing yet and I need to source that USAAF light blue which I think Lifecolour do a very close representation of

• 3 weeks later...

Evening all

I've managed to make a start on my F-16. I decided early on that this was going to be an OOB build with a special paint job - so no AM seats or etch. I therefore chose to keep the basic cockpit decal and put the pilot in (something I rarely do). The finished article will be canopy closed.

Work to the cockpit pieces...first sprayed light compass grey and the decal applied

001-1.jpg

Seat painted and dry-brushed

002-1.jpg

Seat cushion painted and pilot painted

003.jpg

Trial fit of pilot and seat into tub - tight fit but OK. Applied Tamiya tape representations of harness

004-1.jpg

Tub glued into bottom fuselage and harness painted light blue

005.jpg

Top half of fuselage sprayed black around cockpit coaming and then glued and wait to set

006.jpg

I can't get over how small these a/c are! Anyway, thanks for looking and all comments welcome as ever

Looking good, that kit looks as though it builds quick.

Hi David - you're right it has great potential to go together quick. However, what the broad pics don't show is that it is going to need extensive sanding and (judging by others' experience on here...) filler. Nice kit though - I'm considering starting another actually!

Hi David - you're right it has great potential to go together quick. However, what the broad pics don't show is that it is going to need extensive sanding and (judging by others' experience on here...) filler. Nice kit though - I'm considering starting another actually!

Yeah get out the filler

Yeah get out the filler

A dry fit shows a small amount of filler needed between the wings and the fuselage, the underside of the fuselage toward the nose and the underwing joint? Research indicates that the majority of filler and fit problem is the intake join - am I right?

A dry fit shows a small amount of filler needed between the wings and the fuselage, the underside of the fuselage toward the nose and the underwing joint? Research indicates that the majority of filler and fit problem is the intake join - am I right?

Hi Andy on my one the wing joints and the intake, the tail dose not sit right on the fuselage, plus some sinks on the fuselage .

Wellzy :headphones:

Evening all

Well this little fighter is putting up quite a struggle! :)

Got the wings on last night and they need filling even with some prep sanding and carving

001-2.jpg

The intake is a nightmare - huge step at the front lip which will need to be filled and sanded and tricky as hell to get aligned

002-2.jpg

And finally Academy...I accept that you need to have ejection pin marks on kits but why put FIVE in the nose wheel well??????? Very awkward to fill and sand :fraidnot:

003-1.jpg

Will leave the filler until tomorrow...and then check I have enough pads and sanding sticks!

Thanks for looking

Hi all

I haven't taken any worthwhile pictures as they would just have been of piles of wet 'n' dry and sanding sticks and mountains of filler dust. Wellzy was right, this thing EATS filler. My first pass with the filler was to the underwing joint - an annoying piece of engineering guaranteed not to fit and so result in the loss of detail. Monogram used to do the same (F-102, A-37, F-5 all had this detail) and it annoys me.

002-3.jpg

I got that sanded and the drop tanks sanded and then checked my references and realised this a/c is completely clean apart from wingtip missiles! So, out with the filler again...

003-2.jpg

The intake is also tricky - it fits together OK-ish but the 'tongue' at the bottom falls short of the front lip by quite a way, so I fashioned a piece of card to extend the tongue and then out with the filler for some extra-difficult sanding! Got it smooth and then painted the whole intake white to check for problems and it seemed OK. I could have opted for a resin cover (or made one with foil) but I am modelling this with the 'little guy' inside and the hood down, so it is unlikely there would have been a cover in place as he was about to start to taxi.

001-3.jpg

004-2.jpg

Not photographed yet is the work done to the burner can which has been coated Mr Colour metallic paint to be burnished. Finally masked up the canopies and fitted them after also fitting the HUD.

005-1.jpg

Final stick on bits tomorrow after Gloucester model show. Thanks for looking and comments welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Managed to finish all the sanding and filling. Spent a couple of hours restoring the rivet detail to the wings and re-scribed a couple of lost panel lines and then gave the cockpit canopy an undercoat of black

004-3.jpg

Next up a coat of white for the undercoat to the yellow and blue

001-4.jpg

Next was a coat of RAF Trainer Yellow, which is a fairly close match to the classic US Chrome Yellow used on 'Yellow wings' aircraft. This was applied to wings (top and bottom) and tail surfaces (horizontal and vertical). Apologies for the grainy finish to the pics - I was a bit hurried - you get the drift though!

002-4.jpg

003-3.jpg

Finally - what to do about the FS15105 - which does not have a match in any paint I could find. After a lot of experimentation, I plumped for a home-made mix of Humbrol 14 (French Blue) and 34 (White) in a ratio of 5:1. It looks a good match to the Superscale sheet, but is a little dark compared to the photographs of the real thing. Modellers license allows me to stick with this! There is a little overspray (lazy bloody masking...again - the bane of my modelling life) - I'll sort that tomorrow.

005-2.jpg

Thanks for looking and all comments welcome

Looking good

Cheers Mish - I want to get the greys on tonight once I've repaired the overspray

nice progress so far my friend!

excellent paint!

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Thanks very much Periklis

Looking cracking Andy! :clap:

Can't wait to see it finished.

Wish mine was at that stage, feel like I've stalled a bit :(

Cheers Danny - was a little bit like that with this actually - although its a mighty fine fighter/bomber I don't actually 'like' it really (Ha! Sorry Mish!) As a committed builder of US types I can't avoid it however!

Oh the gaudiness of the scheme starts to appear, looking very nice though.

Yeah! Gaudy in a 'USAF heritage' type of way - I wish the RAF did more of this with our a/c (other than a display scheme Hawk or Tucano).

In other news, I re-sprayed the yellow for the over-spray and re-sprayed the tail surfaces too tonight. I decided that my interpretation of the FS15105 Blue was too dark and therefore re-applied the masking and re-mixed the paint and then re-applied it. It looks miles better. Photographs tomorrow - and I will also finish the masking off for the US Compass Grey FS36320 underneath. Hopefully this will go on tomorrow night.

I also hand painted the wheel hubs in Tamiya White and sprayed all the u/c legs and inside of the u/c doors.

Edited by AndyC