conversion from Meteor F1 to F3

Greetings,

I have the Tamiya 1/48 Meteor F1 and was wondering what it would take to make the change in appearance aside from buying the F.3 Falcon canopy with the deeper sloped windscreen (and would the kit accept that modification without a lot of fuss) or having to spend the money on an F3 kit. I don't see a lot of difference between the two initially but I do not know a lot about the aircraft aside from it's basic career history. We have a nice "high speed silver" F4 at our local museum, (as well as a nice flyable Vampire F2) but again I do not see a lot of difference from the F3, F4 and F1 aside from the obvious windscreen design. I imagine that the engine was updated between the F1 and F4 but is there a marked structural difference? Maybe one creating the need for larger nacelles perhaps? Any marked difference in the tail section or other accoutrements between the F1 and F3? Additional information about this subject would be most appreciated.

Cheers

Edited by Spitfires Forever

Greetings,

I have the Tamiya 1/48 Meteor F1 and was wondering what it would take to make the change in appearance aside from buying the F.3 Falcon canopy with the deeper sloped windscreen (and would the kit accept that modification without a lot of fuss) or having to spend the money on an F3 kit. I don't see a lot of difference between the two initially but I do not kow a lot about the aircraft. We have a nice "high speed silver" F4 at our local museum, (as well as a nice flyable Vampire F2) but again I do not see a lot of difference from the F3. I imagine that the engine was updated between the F1 and F4 creating the need for larger nacelles perhaps? Any marked difference in the tail section, engine nacelles, or other accoutrements between the F1 and F2? Additional information about this subject would be most appreciated.

Cheers

Airbrake's! In the wings. The Mk III had them whereas the Mk I didn[t (unless you have an early Tamiya issue- which erroneously had them- due to the prototype at Cosford having the wrong wings!!)

Airbrake's! In the wings. The Mk III had them whereas the Mk I didn[t (unless you have an early Tamiya issue- which erroneously had them- due to the prototype at Cosford having the wrong wings!!)

I do happen to have an early kit, and from what I just found out the nacelles were not extended until the later on during the production of the F3. So, the question is will the F3 canopy fit on my F1? I found markings for an early F3 squadron out of Culmhead, so things are looking good so far.

I do not see a lot of difference from the F3, F4 and F1 aside from the obvious windscreen design. I imagine that the engine was updated between the F1 and F4 but is there a marked structural difference?

Can't answer if the F3 canopy would fit the F1 kit, but the differences between the F3 and F4 are primarily in the engines (Derwent Vs, which were basically a scaled down Nene and a new design) and wing tips - the large elongated nacelles were introduced on the last production batch of F3s, and the clipped wing of the F4 was early in the production of that version.

Very late F3s and very early F4s are virtually indistinguishable, although it seems no F4s entered service with full span wings.

Upon examination I find that with a little sanding I can modify the forward fuselage to accept the F3 canopy. By the way, there is some nice footage of various marks of Meteors on YouTube, including the marks concerned here. also, your quotes/ Flemmings laws pretty much hit it on the head. my personal quote is "in the end, all history is heresay "

cheers

I do happen to have an early kit, and from what I just found out the nacelles were not extended until the later on during the production of the F3. So, the question is will the F3 canopy fit on my F1? I found markings for an early F3 squadron out of Culmhead, so things are looking good so far.

It has nothing whatsover to do with the nacelles. The airbrakes are integral to the wings and are fitted on all Meteors (apart from the Mk I).

Yes it does fit with a litle bit of help and woodglue. I used one for my conversion.

Take a look here.

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,34955.0.html

Edited by Arniec

Since you have the kit with airbrakes, you're in pretty good shape. I thought there was some little intake on the nacelle of the 3 that wasn't on the 1 (which is in the kit), but I failed to spot it in a quick look at the instructions. I have the vac canopy, but haven't fitted it yet.

Update: Here's a quote from Tom Cleaver's build:

"As Tamiya has released the kit, it makes up into one of the first 15 Meteor F.3s, powered by the Welland. However, parts F-10 and F-11 on the engine sprues provide shorter exhaust and the oil cooler vent - which are the two visual identifiers for the late production F.3."

That's what I was thinking of- so Mk.I/wartime Mk.III follow the instructions, "standard" (postwar) Mk.3 add the oil cooler vent and use the alternate exhaust.

bob

Edited by gingerbob