1/48 F-16D Barak

Yes Dave, Flory washes are nice - should go a treat for panel line wash. Just make sure the surface is glossy other wise the wash will become a 'stain'

Edited by AndyC

Yes Dave, Flory washes are nice - should go a treat for panel line wash. Just make sure the surface is glossy other wise the wash will become a 'stain'

Thanks Andy. I've covered the jet in 2 coats of vallejo gloss so I'm hoping that will be enough! Once it's on i'll seal it all in with a flat coat to give it that worn look. Hopefully!

Dave

This is looking great Dave, really nice work you've done.I use the Flory models washes, they are good for highlighting panels and weathering. Two coats of gloss? You should be fine!

This is looking great Dave, really nice work you've done.I use the Flory models washes, they are good for highlighting panels and weathering. Two coats of gloss? You should be fine!

Thanks mate. Hasn't turned out too bad after all the building issues! Think there's three thin gloss coats actually :lol:

Hopefully the wash will arrive today so I can crack on with it!

Dave

Looking good Dave, I'm still sanding and fililing mine...

I know the feeling mate. I spent about 3 full days trying to get it right. Still don't think it is, but i lost patience with it!!

Dave

Edited by DaveJL

Good bit of progress to report. The Flory Models wash arrived first thing this morning, so on it went:

IMG_2395.jpg

Brushed on in a circular motion, I left it it dry for around an hour. Then out came the kitchen roll and a good supply of saliva to get stuck into the wiping off process. And I have to say, the stuff is brilliant.

IMG_2396.jpg

You can see the wash settling into the panel lines on the wing. After it was all off (took about 30 mins) i applied a few thin coats of Vallejo matt varnish and set about bringing the build together.

The fuel tanks, pylons and Litening pod also got a wash:

IMG_2397.jpg

IMG_2399.jpg

IMG_2398.jpg

I left the wash a bit heavier around the pylons as these are traditionally 'grubby' areas. After that, In went the FOD cover, the AOA probe covers, ejection seats, HUD, and the Master Pitot tube. I also attached the Litening pod, centre line fuel tank, boarding ladders, horizontal stabilisers and pylons.

IMG_2400.jpg

IMG_2401.jpg

IMG_2402.jpg

IMG_2403.jpg

IMG_2404.jpg

IMG_2405.jpg

The model was also given a light dusting of Tamiya weathering pigment just to get that worn, abused look. The wheels are on and will be left to cure for a few days.

Next up is the addition of ordnance, RBF tags and a few final bits an pieces. I'm still waiting on a replacement canopy frame to arrive from Lucky Model so all being well this will be completed on Sunday.

More to follow.

Dave

That is looking really good there Dave. I have never been able to get along with these fangled wash things, always somehow end up getting under decals even with several coats of Klear.

Thanks folks. Quite pleased myself given the hassle it was to build!

I have never been able to get along with these fangled wash things, always somehow end up getting under decals even with several coats of Klear.

First time I've used a proper wash myself. I'd definitely recommend the Flory Models washes and i'll be buying more!

Dave

Oh yeah, forgot to say, do add a drop or two of dishwash liquid to the wash, it really breaks the surface tension and gets the pigment into the lines.

Went on pretty well without it mate, but i'll try that next time!

Dave

All RBF tags are now on and the kit is essentially finished. As soon as the replacement canopy frame arrives, i'll get that on and that will be this one done and dusted. The cover for the pitot tube is made crudely from some tin foil.

A few teasers before RFI, hopefully later this week:

IMG_2410.jpg

IMG_2409.jpg

Dave

Ok so got a bit fed up waiting on the new canopy frame arriving from Hong Kong so i fashioned my own from styrene sheet and putty. Really ought to have thought of it a bit earlier as it worked just fine :lol:

Kit is now complete :partytime:

Was a beast to get together but i am relatively happy with the result. Looks like an IDF F-16 should- bombed up and ready to go! Thanks to all who helped me during the build with info, tips etc and thanks to all who followed/commented. The finished product is here

Dave

Nice one! Was gonna ask where the frame.was, but good on yer for fashioning one. Looks great bud, no 'fuel tank +1 AIM-9' for those warbirds!

Knowing my luck, the replacement part will turn up tomorrow :lol:

IDF machines need to bombed up to the max in my opinion!

• 4 weeks later...