1/48 F-16D Barak

Hello all,

Here is my entry for this GB: Kinetic 1/48 F-16D 'Barak' (or Barkeet, or Brakeet- take your pick!!) of the Israeli Air Force.

Kit:

IMG_2119.jpg

Sprues:

IMG_2120.jpg

Decals:

IMG_2121.jpg

Was initially going to get some aftermarket decals but the kits ones are designed by Skys Decals and printed by Cartograf, so no need!

Aftermarket (not much on this one)

IMG_2122.jpg

Although this is for the Tamiya kit, it does fit the kinetic kits. I'll also be adding some resin seats, brass pitot tube and probe covers. All weapons will be out of the box, including some lovely Python IV's and 600 gallon fuel tanks!

Dave

Edited by DaveJL

Can't get used to you building anything except Tomcats Dave! Nice choice, should look really good

Joel

Haha, thanks mate! Feels a bit odd even taking it out of the cupboard, but i need a bit of a change! The Close Air Support GB is coming up soon so there's scope for at least 1 F-14 :lol:

Dave

Hi Dave,

Just a quick heads up on the jet your building, all the valley squadron jets are Block 30 and there are few differences from the Blk 40 jet that I'm building.

For Blk 30

1. Don't use Pizza box antenna's (4x parts 001)

2. Don't use HUD Repeater for WSO (parts B18 and B5) use B2 instead

3. Use full compliment of Dorsal spine chaff/flare dispensers (6x parts SS9) Blk 40 only use 4

4. Leave off the pre-cooler (part 008) this is for Blk 40

5. The main wheel hubs differ (use parts H2)

6. Don't paint cockpit black, this only applies to Blk 40

I think that covers it, if I find any thing else I'll let you know. ;)

Hi Dave,

Just a quick heads up on the jet your building, all the valley squadron jets are Block 30 and there are few differences from the Blk 40 jet that I'm building.

For Blk 30

1. Don't use Pizza box antenna's (4x parts 001)

2. Don't use HUD Repeater for WSO (parts B18 and B5) use B2 instead

3. Use full compliment of Dorsal spine chaff/flare dispensers (6x parts SS9) Blk 40 only use 4

4. Leave off the pre-cooler (part 008) this is for Blk 40

5. The main wheel hubs differ (use parts H2)

6. Don't paint cockpit black, this only applies to Blk 40

I think that covers it, if I find any thing else I'll let you know. ;)

Thanks Rich. I bet you got that from the Isradecal book :lol:

Dave

How did you guess :whistle: glad to be of use...

Magic! :lol:

Thanks mate. If you have any of the red RBF tags left over from your build, i'd gladly buy them off you if you no longer have a need for them!

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Extra bits arrived from Hannants today so will hopefully make a start in the coming week. Here's what i received anyway:

IMG_2188.jpg

Pavla seats, Master brass pitot tube, Dr Pepper AOA covers and Aerobonus self adhesive RBF tags. May order some cockpit etch depending on how i find the kit parts :lol:

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
How's this one coming on Dave?

Haven't started it yet mate! Been working flat out so will try and get my VF-213 F-14 done at the weekend and make a start on this hopefully by next wednesday!

Dave

Finally made a start on this fine, rainy, cold, miserable day!

Cockpit built up and ready for paint:

7215952054_c132fb845a_z.jpg

IMG_2254 by davelyall1, on Flickr

Isn't a bad 'pit in terms of how plastic ones go! Next up was to add the gun vent to the forward fuselage:

7215959366_66ec9900ec_z.jpg

IMG_2251 by davelyall1, on Flickr

This is quite a bad fit as the piece is overly thick (as are quite a few parts on the kit it has to be said) I then moved on and added the two panels to the rear fuselage. I don't know why these are given as separate parts, quite annoying as the fit ain't great!

7215929496_479dcb399e_z.jpg

IMG_2256 by davelyall1, on Flickr

I built up the main landing gear bay and installed that to the lower fuselage next:

7215961640_fecb89557e_z.jpg

IMG_2250 by davelyall1, on Flickr

Same with the forward landing gear bay:

7215956850_ffff48e597_z.jpg

IMG_2252 by davelyall1, on Flickr

These sections require a good bit of work to get a nice fit, and there are a lot of raised ejector pin marks that need removed. As i'm adding a FOD guard to the intake mouth, i didn't bother painting the interior parts. Call it cheating if you will! Also built up the avionics spine:

7215954508_0214ba7053_z.jpg

IMG_2253 by davelyall1, on Flickr

The weapons:

7215926886_9313659f1c_z.jpg

IMG_2257 by davelyall1, on Flickr

The GBU-10's are from Hasegawa's weapons set 'D' whilst the AIM-9's, Python IV's, 600 gallon tanks, 300 gallon tank and the poorly fitting/shaped Litening pod are all from the kit.

The only aftermarket i'll be adding to the cockpit are the pavla seats (with casting block still attached!)

7215945004_844c3cd8ec_z.jpg

IMG_2255 by davelyall1, on Flickr

It may not look it, but there's almost 4 hours of work there! Next up is to paint the cockpit and hopefully get the fuselage closed up.

More to follow,

Dave.

Good work! Pit looks pretty sweet, nice seats from Pavla though.

Thanks mate. Yeah, the cockpit isn't too bad for all you see of it when the seats go in! I was toying with the idea of buying an Aires one but binned that! Might just add some wire here and there to spice it up a bit :lol:

Looking at some of the modern kits, there is now better detail than ever, esp in the pits. Seats are generally the best upgrade, or most visually noticeable upgrade at any rate.

Looking at some of the modern kits, there is now better detail than ever, esp in the pits. Seats are generally the best upgrade, or most visually noticeable upgrade at any rate.

True mate, especially on the F-16 as they are quite prominent if the canopy is displayed open

Having just built the Kinetic Blk52 kit beware of the instructions(although it may be isolated to Blk 52 kit), they are pretty vague in places and with several choices for basically the same part it can be confusing. Also check fit before committing to gluing as the fit of some parts is pretty appalling. Take your time and it'll build up into a really nice kit.

Of note are you sure that's a LITENING pod and not the AN/AAQ-14 Targeting pod for the LANTRIN system as it looks too long in the picture to be LITENING?

Having just built the Kinetic Blk52 kit beware of the instructions(although it may be isolated to Blk 52 kit), they are pretty vague in places and with several choices for basically the same part it can be confusing. Also check fit before committing to gluing as the fit of some parts is pretty appalling. Take your time and it'll build up into a really nice kit.

Of note are you sure that's a LITENING pod and not the AN/AAQ-14 Targeting pod for the LANTRIN system as it looks too long in the picture to be LITENING?

Thanks for the heads up Scott. Erm...i think it is a litening pod! I know the Litening lll is somewhat stubbier and fatter than the original.

I'll have a search and see what it brings up!

Dave

Just had a quick check and Scott is right, it is indeed a lantirn system, not a Litening!

Would anyone have a Litening pod they would be able to spare?

Cheers

Dave

Looking good Dave, good to see you getting to grips with this kit, not the best is it? :confused:

There should be a Litening pod included in the kit along with a sniper pod (which I've managed to lose somehow :shrug: )

Looking good Dave, good to see you getting to grips with this kit, not the best is it? :confused:

There should be a Litening pod included in the kit along with a sniper pod (which I've managed to lose somehow :shrug: )

Thanks Rich. It certainly is a bit rough in places and the sprues are rather thick, but i do like the detail and the sheer amount of stuff in the box!

I don't have a Sniper either, despite the instructions stating there is one! The other pod, i believe, is a Lantirn as, some research (and a heads up from Scott), shows that the Litening is a bit shorter and has two small round lenses on the nose of the pod as opposed to the one small and one large on the pod provided with the kit.

Litening

Lantirn (bottom right)

I think my research is correct!

Dave