249 Sqn Spitfire

JackG

Thank you Peter.

The wing root area is probably a little over worked. Originally had tried the hairspray technique, but too much paint came off. It was painted over and then I tried a variation of the salt method, but instead used sand granules dipped in hairspray to hold in place while spraying on the EDSG. This ended up looking too pebbled, so retouched with a bristle brush. In fact, most of the desert scheme that shows through is just hand brushed desert and earth using a stippling method. I did use some grey and silver pencil crayon on the wing roots.

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG

Thanks for the explanation... I was just looking again and the way the DE/Ochre shows under the national markings is also stunningly executed. And the MG ports... the canopy fit... the spinner...

I love a model where the more you look, the more great details emerge. Take a bow mate!

Thanks again Peter.

The upper wing roundels were painted on with vinyl masks from Maketar. The material is sort of stretchy so I ended up with slightly oblong shaped blue. So I took this opportunity to introduce the desert scheme just barely visible around the upper wing markings. To fix this I just used the appropriate mask to cover the roundel and sprayed with the desert colours, touching up some excess overspray with a hand brush. To give a hand painted applied look to the fuselage roundel area, I dirtied up the edges a bit with EDSG applied with a brush.

The gun ports involve some artistic license. Red is usually the tape colour seen, but recently saw a coloured photo that displayed a roundel type blue. I think too I've seen it mentioned that it was supplied in various colours.

Yes the spinner has some paint chipping (underneath I have the underside colour). I also spun the prop around while holding a dirty brush against the nose, giving some barely visible swirl stains. The blades have chipping via grey pencil crayon.

regards,

Jack

• 3 weeks later...

Jason and Don,

Thanks for your comments. The oil streaking was fun to do, one of the few weathering steps where you do not have to worry about being subtle.

regards,

Jack