HT's Malta Beaufort

Hardtarget

I find the engine cowlings oversized, certainly the P&W ones on the Mk.II. Red Roo used to sell replacement cowlings from Ron's Resins, but I think they are sold out now. The P&W engines also need the pushrods - a very annoying habit of MPM on all their engines. Fortunately, the Taurus don't.

Made a start on the beau.

Tackling the cockpit area requires the use of the PUR and IM parts. The PUR parts are very brittle and dont want to come off their mouldings very easily. After some prising with the scalpel and saw they were free and glued into place with some zap.

015.jpg

This is the base of the turret which comprised of 3 PUR parts, the base, seat and seat bracket. Bit fidilly especially when superglue is involved.

016.jpg

Next up the cementing of the bomb bay into place. This needs to be done before the front seat as if done the otherway aruond you may not get the bay into its proper place. Note there is no locating slots. Cementing of the blanking plate and the PUR front seat followed.

017.jpg

Next the airbrush was loaded with some hu78 interior green and duly applied to the cockpit, fuselage halves and the window areas.

018.jpg

019.jpg

Next up will be the detailing of the cockpit area.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some small progress on this aircraft as my time has been taken up with the making of the F-16's. I was on a roll but there was a small pause in waiting for them to dry so moved onto the beaufort.

I managed to sort out the engines and cementing them in place to the cowlings. Tight fit this.

026.jpg

Affixed the gun turret together with the windo cut out (what a pain in the bottom this is).

025.jpg

And finally cemented the wings and tail seaction together. Fuselage at this stage is not cemented as i have to construct the turret first as she wopnt fix later on. I might even pain the fuselage halves at this stage, not sure yet.

024.jpg

Good progress mate, keep it up. I'm eyeing mine off (I left the turret off and assembled, I also left out one of the 'porthole' windows) for a possible unofficial contribution to the GB, but the smart money says I'll leave it on the shelf where it's sat happily for years. But I do get the vicarious enjoyment of seeing yours go together.

In for the long game, HT. I think it's going to be worth the persistence - and the F16s!

Midweek update.

After playing about with the turret and housing, i managed to make it fit in its little pit and also got the fuselague halves to cement together. With a little persuasion with the clips the fuselage was set.

005-1.jpg

Next I masked the turret and also added the glass front end ready for painting later by hand as I didnt fancy masking all those windows. Also at this stage i added the radiators and exhausts.

006-1.jpg

Engines were plugged with sponge and also masking of the glass section prior to spraying a mix of hu102 and some gloy dark slate grey (one was too green one was too grey).

007-1.jpg

And ive just literally applied the EDSG hu123.

008-1.jpg

She will dry now ready for tomorrow spraying of azure to add a bit of colour.

Final stretches now.

Undercarrige fitted

001.jpg

Then I realised that i needed to fix the front guns before the canopy so cut around the canopy and duly drilled two small hole into it so the guns can fit snugly.

002-1.jpg

Canopy recemented, tires sprayed, props sprayed & aerials also added at this point ready for a good old coat of klear.

003-2.jpg

She is now ready for decals and the fiddily antennae.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Took a bit of time to complete her, with getting the decals on, adding aerial wire and weathering/exhaust stains but im declaring her finished.

Kit: Special Hobby 72083

Scale: 1/72

Scheme: Beaufort Mk.Ia DD959 (Q) 217Sqd, RAF Luka, Malta 1942, She was shot down by a Ju88 on the 20th June 1942.

037.jpg

039.jpg

041.jpg

043.jpg

045.jpg

011.jpg

014-1.jpg

017-2.jpg

021.jpg

023.jpg

024-1.jpg

025-1.jpg