Westland Lynx versions (Navy)

Lynx7

Yep, same here! I know what I'd rather have given the err choice. No hyds = passenger very quickly......

No Hyds = dead very quickly! Losing one is bad enough (especially recovering to a deck!)

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys, just looking through all these great picyures and was wondering if anybody had a picture of the big hole between the bulk head and the intrument panel, i am building a lynx has3 from Revell and there is just a hole, i want to put something in there and need something as a referenceto go after,

have a good one :bye:

• Like 1

Have you looked in the Walkrounds section plus over on B-Domke there is more Lynx reference, plus a French 3 on Prime Portal.

Colin

hey guys, just looking through all these great picyures and was wondering if anybody had a picture of the big hole between the bulk head and the intrument panel, i am building a lynx has3 from Revell and there is just a hole, i want to put something in there and need something as a referenceto go after, have a good one :bye:

I'm looking for similar, largely because of a long-term project to build the cab with the smashed nose on Broadsword's deck on 25 May 1982, when the radar was kicked off leaving all that behind the IP stuff exposed.. Refs are pretty thin on the ground, though I'll certainly let you share what I have found (largely my own photos). I'm away from home for a couple of days, but PM me & I'll send you what I have - but I should warn you it's far from comprehensive. As farvas I can tell, essentially the stuff there is like the back on any IP; wires, air lines, pipes etc feeding into the various cylindrical instruments.

Seeing how the latest buzz is about the newly released Airfix 1/48 Lynx, I thought it would be prudent to have a central database for those interested/confused/bewildered by all the various versions of Lynx. This first post will be dedicated to naval versions with a (smaller) post dedicated to Army versions.

So, here goes then. For simplicity, I have put together a table that describes what version has what bits. In essence, Westlands did a 'mix and match' to make up the various different marks dependant on the customers requirement so despite there being over 35 different variants, there is a sort of common theme. Basically speaking you have 4 or 5 'core' versions with subtle differences (depending on year and modification standard). These can be broken down in to Nose, Engines, Main rotors, Tail boom, Sponsons and Tail rotor. With a selection of each of those parts, you can make pretty much any version you wish. What I'm not going to do right now is go in to the differences in cockpits, roles, interiors and the various different antennas, aerials and other random protuberances that can be found. I'll cover cockpits later on. This is really designed to give you an initial idea of which versions you can make out the box from the Airfix 1/48 naval Lynx and what mods you'd need to carry out if you wish to make other versions.

Quick run through for the table. Table 1 refers to each part type and has a number assigned to it. In the main table, it will tell you if that version has that part. For ease, on the main table, the versions in green can be built OOB from the Naval Airfix kit (not included decals etc, just the fact that the parts will allow it). The pictures show you the breakdown of the differences from table 1.

Table 1

6896261874_89b47b3ee8_o.jpg

Table 2 (amended v1.1)

6896936996_35f5673b82_o.jpg

The Mk. 80 was the original Danish Navy Lynx, later upgraded to Mk. 80A.

The Mk. 90 was the batch of three ex-Argentine Lynx (Mk. 87), two of which were made serviceable. The third was reduced to spares. The two Mk. 90s were later upgraded to Mk. 90A.

None of these can be made OOB from the Airfix kit.

HTH,

Jens

the black cats mk3 was processed through the donor program about 2 yrs ago but was earmarked for display,after fitment of u/s rotables it was placed on display at osprey quay for the 2012 sailing olympics(which were held on the site of the old rnas portland) and it still remains there,gifted i believe by the navy,if you google osprey quay you will see it in place, i have an interest in this old cab as was the detachment mech sup for some blackcats shows a few years ago, duxford being my favourite.

I'm looking for similar, largely because of a long-term project to build the cab with the smashed nose on Broadsword's deck on 25 May 1982, when the radar was kicked off leaving all that behind the IP stuff exposed.. Refs are pretty thin on the ground, though I'll certainly let you share what I have found (largely my own photos). I'm away from home for a couple of days, but PM me & I'll send you what I have - but I should warn you it's far from comprehensive. As farvas I can tell, essentially the stuff there is like the back on any IP; wires, air lines, pipes etc feeding into the various cylindrical instruments.

hello ex wafu from a still current one,i will try to post a couple of shots i took early this year of 2 mk3's post donor,i do have internal shots with no instrument panel fitted, these cabs are xz237 and xz246, took the phots as they are both ex-flight cabs of mine.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jens,

You found any errors?

Can you tell me?

Regards,

Yes, but only the the section about the Danish Lynx. There seems to be a bit of mix-up with the Mark numbers and the modifications. :)

Jens

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys

Anybody taking the leap of faith and doing a Granby set for the 32nd kit???? :mental:

Even better would be a PID nose and bits for a RN MK8 (total :banghead: )

Cheers and gone

• 6 months later...

This site has become the source of some consciousness raising recently. I've been discovering quite a bit of interest in the Lynx among various BM modelers, and this site appears to be the point of entry into the best of the best photos and descriptive info on this machine I began to hear that this was a pretty spectacular helo, as I was poking about for general helo background, while building my Hasegawa 1/48 Apache AH-64D- over in work in progress. Now, almost 100 % of my modeling has been in 1/72' and so I am lookigood representation of a Lynx in that diminutive scale. I am just beginning to be introduced, thru this site, to the many manifestations of this aircraft, and as yet I have no idea as to what the kit makers have provided. I am wondering if those of you who have flown the Lynx and who have been building models of it, might have any suggestions as to what I might look for as a really good kit in 1/72 -- one that might introduce me to a general, or basic version. Have to admit I am drawn to those deep blue colored ones, as wellas to the rich greys. I don't want to be fickle about the colors, however: a version that helps me understand the layout and provides good detail is the main request. I'm very open to nifty resin and PE aftermarket goodies,too. I suspect that an aircraft that has been around so long, might have been kitted from the same mould and released by different companies, and I don't want to double up that way. And I've heard that one company may produce what is essentially a pre production prototype. I' d like to consider a build of a fairly modern version. Anyone here have any opinions, suggestion, or maybe "The Absolute Truth " to offer ??

• 1 month later...

@ NavDoc,

Sorry, but I can't help you about 1/72 Lynxes.

@ All

Brazilian Navy is signing a contract to upgrade their MK.21A "Super Lynx"... This contract includes new CTS 800 engines, "glass cockpit", new RWR, new GPS, and more...

I believe this new aircraft will be designate as MK.21B... And it should be named as "Hyper Lynx" or "Wild Lynx"! Ahahahaha...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, this is one of the best threads I've seen on any modeling site. It has inspired me to build the 32nd scale Revell HAS.3 kit as a HMA.8, love that "ugly nose". HA I've got the MK.88 kit as a donor for the the nose w/ the Sea Owl and Sea Spray equipment. What else do I need to use from the MK.88 kit and scratch build to get this into a reasonable HMA.8? What should the interior configuration be?Any tips and information would be a great help. Many thanks in advance.

Chuck

• 2 months later...

Gents,

I have the 1/32 Revell Lynx HAS.3. Can anybody help me out in regards to the HAS.3 ICE off HMS Endurance with the:

- cockpit configuration (double controls and instruments or single controls and observer instruments and display?)

- main cabin of the HAS.3 ICE as it was based on HMS Endurance? I have seen mentioned that it was fitted with instruments and cameras?

Display scheme NAS 702; XZ 250:

- Did this a/c have a cockpit with double controls AND double instrumentation? That's what Eduard supplies...

32765_1.gif

- I understand that the RN uses inflatable seats. I would think this means that the rod-and-canvas benches as supplied by Revell are definitely not correct? So, lacking these inflatable seats, should I keep the cabin bare as bones?

I ran some Google searches but what I came up with is quite inconclusive...

Thanks in advance!

Erik B.

Edited by ErikB

We (Broadsword Flight 88-91, 829 NAS, HAS3S), often used to fly with the 4-man (inflatable) seat fore-and-aft (i.e. Pax facing sideways) and the 3 rod-and-canvas (as you put it) jobs at the back of the cab. We'd only fit the 6-man rod-and-canvas number if we knew we'd be flying loads of pax and wanted to save time. I am pretty sure that I saw a resin inflatable 4-man seat at Telford last year, but I didn't buy it so cannot be totally certain - pro the Belcher Bits set, maybe? Someone on here will definitely know...

You can never be conclusive about 702 cabs, because they used all three possible configurations: a) standard P & O, with one cyclic; b ) "Quasimodo" dual flying controls but O's instruments unchanged (so-called because the Observer either developed a hunchback when using the radar or received regular clips around the ear from the pilot as the Looker nudged the cyclic when reaching for the Sea Spray knobs); or c) full-on dual controls with dual P instrumentation. The good news with this is that you can never be told you're conclusively wrong, but the bad news..

In reality, if you have the Black Cats cab, the chances are very strong that it would be full duals; it helped to train the display (which was often flown with 2 Pilots anyway), its day job was as an aircraft on the conversion squadron, so had lots of baby Pilots, and the ferry flights to displays were almost always day VFR so would navigate only with TANS and a map (i.e. No radar).

Can't help you with the Endurance cabs, but they certainly had some wacky camera fits for the hydrographers

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 1

I think I am right in saying that the Revell German Mk 88 kit has the inflatable seat in it and it's not used (see here; http://www.themodellingnews.com/2013/01/the-big-cat-from-revell-gets-thorough.html - scroll down to Sprues not shown/required for this kit - the one on the right looks like an inflatable seat?)

See if you can find someone with that sprue (actually those sprues - there are two of them) going spare; anyone who builds it with the sonar in won't have used it.

• Like 1