Westland Lynx versions (Navy)

Lynx7

Hi,

great overview! Thanks for that.

I was wondering about the "new tail rotor":

Official Westland data on their website indicate that the new tail rotor is (always) used on their "Super Lynx" product series. This new tail rotor is stated as having a diameter of 2,36 m, whereas the old tail rotor had 2,21 m diameter.

So not only does it rotate clockwise now, but also has a larger diameter.

Looking at the pictures (as above for the German mk88A with the new tail rotor) suggests also that the tail rotor blade angle/cut out towards the shaft is also significantly different as to the older tail rotor blades.

Any additional info welcomed.

Regards, Meindert

Do the airframes with Black Cat markings have armoured seats and do they carry any equipment in the rear?

I'd say no to the armoured seat as they're only fitted if the aircraft is going somewhere it might be useful, you don't have the seat pack life raft with the armoured seat which is probably more likely to come in handy in the UK.

The main cabin will have the inflatable seat etc. in as per usual, I don't think they normally have the winch in there as it gets in the way of the instructor during training sorties.

I'd say no to the armoured seat as they're only fitted if the aircraft is going somewhere it might be useful, you don't have the seat pack life raft with the armoured seat which is probably more likely to come in handy in the UK.

The main cabin will have the inflatable seat etc. in as per usual, I don't think they normally have the winch in there as it gets in the way of the instructor during training sorties.

The aircraft at Yeovilton this year had standard seats fitted in them.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all.

Can anyone comment on the colours of the early steel blades?  Talking to a friend in the blade bay who worked on them, he recalls the colour as green but doesn't think they had yellow tips.  The AlleyCat conversion implies they're yellow but doesn't even hint at their width.  Any advice will be welcome, and thanks in advance.

Hi all.

Can anyone comment on the colours of the early steel blades?  Talking to a friend in the blade bay who worked on them, he recalls the colour as green but doesn't think they had yellow tips.  The AlleyCat conversion implies they're yellow but doesn't even hint at their width.  Any advice will be welcome, and thanks in advance.

Hi Dave Model Decals state RAF dark green main & tail rotors main with yellow tips  I think 5" wide but a photo of this aircraft that this time shows they were painted out & just the white lines  remain, tail with standard Red/White/Red tips, on Cardiffs flight in the first Gulf war. Regards Len.

Edited by Grizzly

The Lynx HAS2/3 blades were the same colour as the Army AH1 blades, which I understand to be the same colour green as the AH1 fuselage.

John

This was true of the early scheme which was RAF green & black but the new army green is lighter shade.

• 1 month later...

Just getting back into this after many years out of the game and rapidly building a collection of 'jobs'.

was wondering if there is a Mk 3 nose suitable for the Airfix 1/48 Lynx? I have several kits and want to do an HAS 3 in this scale, already have the new 1/32.

I know Airfix do the 1/48 ICE, but can I find one for love nor money!

Cheers

Hi

I am intending to Build Lynx XZ 731 332 when it was based on HMS Liverpool off Libya in 2011. Can anyone give me a few pointers.

1, Hoist, fitted or not or just when required

2, Life raft seat, would it be fitted, and orientated back to front or accross the cabin.

3, 50cal, yes or no.

4, Armoured pilot seats, yes or no.

5, Rear seat and surface warfare electronics

6, Would it have carried Sea Skua and how many?

In other words what would have been a typical fit in that region in 2011.

Many thanks in advance

Holmsey

BTW I have a 44 photo walkround of a Lynx AH7 at RIAT this year, just trying to figure out the best way to submit them.

Newbie to the forum - the user name probably gives away my age [ex-RN Lynx driver (829 NAS HMS Broadsword Flight 1989-1991)].

Someone asked about when the HAS3 changed from metal to BERP blades. From memory it was around 1990. There were a lot of minor modifications around then; the HAS 3GM, the HAS3 ICE, and the HAS 3S

The "vanilla" HAS 3 originally had metal blades (my first cab in BW Flight definitely had them). The Mk 3GM - which stood for "Gulf Modified" - came into service around 1990, but I am ashamed to say I cannot remember what the mods consisted of (though to be fair I never flew one!). They were almost certainly engine-related, because some of the early Gulf patrol aircraft had minor performance issues in the heat / sand. Alas, it is over 20 years ago now, so my memory of the exact details is iffy - but when I was on 702 (the OCU - I had previously been a Sea King pilot) there were 3 or 4 different engine configurations; it was a right PITA as a stude, because they all had slightly different temperature and pressure limits, and you could be bloody certain that the Beefer would try to catch you out if you were flying a different airframe.

The Mk3S was a HAS3 with the new secure speech radios (which were excellent - same ones as ended up in the Mk8), and again uprated engines - and the new blades. About 8 months into my time as BW Flight Cdr we got a new cab which was a 3S (ZD260), and that definitely had BERP blades.

The Mk3 ICE was only for HMS Endurance; cold weather and surveying stuff - a vertical camera, for instance.

Minor point in the (excellent) original post. What our Pongo friend describes as "RWR" is a bit more sophisticated than that; the aerials on the nose, the fuselage side (just about visible in the RN HAS3 photo on Page 1 - down and to the left of the exhaust) and the rear of the sponsons between them give 360-degree coverage for the Orange Crop ESM. My Looker was something of a wizard on this thing; he could get results out of it that put the Gollies to shame on the ship. It gave you bearing, frequency and aerial rotation rate info, and the rest was up to you - but you can actually tell a lot from those 3 bits of info. Same ESM was also fitted to the later Sea King HAS5s & the HAS6.

I have just acquired a Revell HAS3 model, which is destined eventually to be ZD260 as I flew her. But since I haven't made a single model in about 30 years, I am going to do a couple of others first to get my hand back in!

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 1

Hi all.

Can anyone comment on the colours of the early steel blades? Talking to a friend in the blade bay who worked on them, he recalls the colour as green but doesn't think they had yellow tips. The AlleyCat conversion implies they're yellow but doesn't even hint at their width. Any advice will be welcome, and thanks in advance.

Hi Dave Model Decals state RAF dark green main & tail rotors main with yellow tips I think 5" wide but a photo of this aircraft that this time shows they were painted out & just the white lines remain, tail with standard Red/White/Red tips, on Cardiffs flight in the first Gulf war. Regards Len.

Definitely the standard dark green, with yellow tips.

Hi

I am intending to Build Lynx XZ 731 332 when it was based on HMS Liverpool off Libya in 2011. Can anyone give me a few pointers.

2, Life raft seat, would it be fitted, and orientated back to front or accross the cabin.

3, 50cal, yes or no.

Many thanks in advance

Holmsey

BTW I have a 44 photo walkround of a Lynx AH7 at RIAT this year, just trying to figure out the best way to submit them.

Long after my time, I'm afraid - but they'd probably fly with the hoist fitted unless they had serious weight issues; it's a bit of a faff to take it in and out, and folded away it doesn't waste much space.

Seat almost certainly fore & aft, if at all; we generally flew without it (largely Falklands, in my case), but with an MS5 (5-man liferaft which was easy to chuck out of the aircraft - both the aircrew are permanently sitting on their own liferaft, of course).

Can't comment on the rest - though I'd be surprised if they routinely flew around with warshot Skuas loaded as a matter of course. Their main maritime role would be surface search (which the Lynx is very good at), and a couple of Skuas make a big difference to weight / endurance. They'd only fly tooled up if they were expecting to go ship killing (a la Gulf War).

Hope that helps.

Long after my time, I'm afraid - but they'd probably fly with the hoist fitted unless they had serious weight issues; it's a bit of a faff to take it in and out, and folded away it doesn't waste much space.

Seat almost certainly fore & aft, if at all; we generally flew without it (largely Falklands, in my case), but with an MS5 (5-man liferaft which was easy to chuck out of the aircraft - both the aircrew are permanently sitting on their own liferaft, of course).

Can't comment on the rest - though I'd be surprised if they routinely flew around with warshot Skuas loaded as a matter of course. Their main maritime role would be surface search (which the Lynx is very good at), and a couple of Skuas make a big difference to weight / endurance. They'd only fly tooled up if they were expecting to go ship killing (a la Gulf War).

Hope that helps.

That's great

Many thanks.

Holmsey

Hi

3, 50cal, yes or no.

Many thanks in advance

Holmsey

Having flown out to the ship in it, a long story involving Air Malta and my luggage, I'm struggling to remember the answers but I think:

1: Don't remember it being fitted and I sat on that side of the aircraft, that's not to say it couldn't have been fitted at some stage. There were other more suited SAR assets in the area and the weight wouldn't have helped.

2: Inflatable seat running fore and aft, MS5 strapped in one of the seats across the rear bulkhead.

3: Not when I flew in it, but it's a fairly easy fit.

4: No

5: The ESM and Skua electronics were fitted, along with the inflatable seat.

6: Not when I flew in it and I don't know if they ever did.

Hope that helps!

Bit baffled now, to be honest. The Lynx HAS3 kit has arrived, so I'm poring over everything before I touch a single piece.

So why, Mr Revell, do you offer ONLY a dual control aircraft, with no option for the (much more common) standard fit? Sure, I get why you might want to do the sexy Black Cats colour scheme and all that, and those cabs are duals, but when all is said and done only about half a dozen RN Lynxes at any one time were in this configuration; the vast majority were in the standard fit, with pilot RHS and observer LHS - so no left-seat cyclic, no left-seat lever, radar screen, controls and instruments instead of a second set of pilot stuff...

Some modding coming up, I guess - but it does seem odd that they only offer a relatively rare configuration with no option for the bog standard fit.

Grrrr.

Miffed of Salisbury

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU

Ex-FAAWAFU,

I've a similar problem regarding the Revell HAS3. I flew the old HAS2 & HAS3 in the 80's, so I'll have to remove the forward floats, re-jig the LHS and de-berp the rotor blades...

John