Westland Lynx versions (Navy)

Lynx7

IN the spirit of the idea of getting as much Lynx info in one place, I'll post this lynk and repeat my plea for any more pics of this one!!

http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1030128/

Someone once sent me a pic of the other side of this one, taken at VL, but I lost it in PC changes over the years. This also appeared in SAM 8/18 in July 84.

29 JSTU was the Sea Skua trials unit, but from various sources I beleive this one was used for Coastal Patrols around NI - painted as an AAC aircraft to disguise it's origins/capabilities.

Edited by Dave Fleming

IN the spirit of the idea of getting as much Lynx info in one place, I'll post this lynk and repeat my plea for any more pics of this one!!

http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1030128/

Someone once sent me a pic of the other side of this one, taken at VL, but I lost it in PC changes over the years. This also appeared in SAM 8/18 in July 84.

29 JSTU was the Sea Skua trials unit, but from various sources I beleive this one was used for Coastal Patrols around NI - painted as an AAC aircraft to disguise it's origins/capabilities.

Yes your right it was used in NI thus its disguise as a AAC machine, a Ton class minesweeper operated on each side by the border & she used her radar to see gun running ships to intercept . She replaced a Mk3 Wessex which was marked up as a HU5 in green.

It's a fuel tank. Here's a crop of the original picture:

Seatfueltank.jpg

Jens

In the same image that this is from I can see that the floor has had a deck of ply wood laid down and the Winchmans seat appears to be on some kind of rail.

Question time:

Was the wood deck common to Danish Lynx or was this a S-134 thing.

If indeed it is a rail for the seat to run on, I assume this was to enable the seat to be move from one side to the other.

In the kit there are two floor pans and I am confused as it looks to me that to get the correct floor pan for S-134, I need the front of one and the back of the other. Any advice on that from our resident lynx experts?

Also a big heads up on the paint call outs in the instructions. If you are doing 'en dansker' the interior green should be a light grey and the three seats dont have blue harnesses...Well the reference photos don't.

That rear bench, the red one on the fuel tank and the broom cupboard next to it, any one have some better views of that?

Ian M

Yes, the wood deck is common to all Danish Lynx (all marks AFAIK).

You're almost right about the Airfix kit floors. The pattern of the ply wood is not exactly as depicted in the kit, so the best option is probably to mask and paint the ply wood on part 34A (the floor intended for the Danish Lynx). There are several other things that need to be modified in order to make a Danish Lynx but the kit is a very good starting point. The central console is one of these btw.

Yes, the winchman/technician seat is on a rail enabling it to move from side to side, although not all the way to the starboard side.

Lynx_2786_1000jj.jpg

The green bag next to the seat is a drop dinghy.

Next time I'm at Karup AB I'll see if I can get some better detail pictures of the Lynx. ;)

Jens

Edited by Jens

Thanks Jens.

By looking at the kits destructions and your photos, I have concluded that the instrument panel for the kit version B look the most like the one in the photos.

Now I can get on with the floor at least.

Ian M

Was the wood deck common to Danish Lynx or was this a S-134 thing.

Most Lynx have some sort of ply decking fitted in the rear cabin to protect the composite flooring, it's not a Westland's part though and is generally locally produced so there's an almost infinite number of variations. Most of the RN ones are painted grey with the occasional bit of anti-slip tape.

• 1 month later...
Hey, is it possible on HAS.3 to carry IR jammers, ECM jammer pod + FLIR ball on the left and also, on the right side, Sea Skua rocket(s) ? Or does that exceeds MTOW ? Thx.

'Ow do,

I have only ever fitted the FLIR to the Port (left) carrier with upto 2 Skuas on the Stbd (right) carrier(s). We were one of the last HAS3's to operate in the NAG I believe and possibly one of the last to use the FLIR in anger. Indeed at that time it was 'ops normal' to fit the FLIR to Port and M3M to Stbd with Skuas available. Though the role change to the missiles precluded a quick turn around.

On a previous trip we did fit the Jammer to Port, but I don't recall if we ever fitted Skuas as well? It was not normal to fit this Jammer at that time and it only went on to complete training requirements so was never a 'patrol fit'.

I'll check through some old phots and see, but I don't think we had IR Jammers on the 3's. Again harping back to the mid-90's and early 00's we made do with the chaff & flare launchers being fitted aroung the transportation joint, ( the bit where the tail cone joins the fuselage).

Hope this helps, and if I can be of anymore help to anyone, plesae ask.

Cheers now.

Hi

I am considering buying the Airfix Super Navy Lynx HMA8

Can someone advise the difference between the two kits on offer ie gift set A50122 and A10107 - ok gift set has paints & brushes between is there any difference in tooling or quality of kits?

Regrds

Steve

G'day All,

A note for those building Airfix's HMA.8. Don't install the "Stinger" on the bottom of the tail (the destructions tell you to), cause from the pic's I've seen, they don't have them. Fill in the hole and you are good to go.

Stingers: AH-7's yes, HMA.8's no.

Cheers,

Devo

Edited by Devo

Hi

I am considering buying the Airfix Super Navy Lynx HMA8

Can someone advise the difference between the two kits on offer ie gift set A50122 and A10107 - ok gift set has paints & brushes between is there any difference in tooling or quality of kits?

Regrds

Steve

The Gift set lacks the sprue for the Overseas Lynx & has decals for HMS Gloucester 2011 Miss Behaving with RN logo & landing pad section. The decals lack much of the stencilling for the aircraft & weapons.

The tail skid was fitted to some early Mk2 possibly denoting the Dual control aircraft but not on RN operational aircraft. The Army ones were fitted with them,no doubt because of there operation in rough terrain,some resent pictures show they have been removed.

• 2 weeks later...

For those in the know,

Is the overhead cockpit glazing on HMA 8's tinted blue or some other colour?? I'm having a hard time figuring this out from the pic's I've looked at. :hypnotised:

Cheers,

Devo

For those in the know,

Is the overhead cockpit glazing on HMA 8's tinted blue or some other colour?? I'm having a hard time figuring this out from the pic's I've looked at. :hypnotised:

Cheers,

Devo

From what I have seen they are a black tinted colour,Tamiya smoke tint clear should do.

Thanks for that one Len, was beginning to wonder myself. Go for the kit with the German ship on the box art Kit number A10107 the gift set is a waste of money!

Colin on the Africa Station

Thanks for that one Len, was beginning to wonder myself. Go for the kit with the German ship on the box art Kit number A10107 the gift set is a waste of money!

For those in the know,

Cheers,

Devo

Like other Lynx, its actually a very dark blue. I use Stadtler Lumocolours. I have found either the permanent or non permanent work just as well but for ease of use, the non perm is better (see below). Just be careful if you do use the non perm as it is easy to get a finger print or smudges if it gets moisture on it. Preferably use a Medium fresh pen on the inside of the glazing. When applying it, just make sure its nice and even and free of pen lines. When viewed from the outside, it looks accurate.

1. Loosely mask the external screen (just mask the whole lot for now to prevent overspray from interior spraying).

2. Precisely mask the internal screen frames.

3. Paint/spray interior frame matt black.

4. Remove interior and exterior masking.

5. Apply Stadtler pen on inside of roof windows.

6. You will then be able to view windows from the outside to check if pen application is smooth and free of pen lines.

7. If its not, simply remove the pen (if you use non permanent, just use a damp cotton bud) and reapply.

8. Precisely mask external frames and loosely mask interior (being careful not to apply tape directly to the penned windows)

9. At this stage, I throw a quick coat or Mr Hobby 1000 grey primer on the outside then attach the screen to the fuselage ready for main prime of the assembled fuselage and final coats.

Hope this helps.

7373071502_20d89073e6_c.jpg

Et voila (the picture makes the roof windows look a little lighter than they actually are but in my opinion, they look spot on)

7160781270_20a6ec7b5e_c.jpg

• Like 1

.... OK it's taken forty years but everyone is waking up to the Lynx as a great subject.

That is such a scary thought - is it really 40 years since first flight? And it's still going strong. Are there many first gen airframes in service still?

Anyway I'd like to thank you all for the wonderful references and Lynx builds we have on this site - they all look stunning.

I must admit I am holding out for the braille scale one from Revell but I might need the Airfix one as a reference

• 1 month later...

Hiya,

Newbie here :pig:

I have been lurking/admiring here on BM for a while and am getting a bit drooly over all these fantastic Lynx builds, especially the HMA8s.

I have a few pics of Army and Navy Lynx taken aboard HMS Ocean during her pre Olympics visit to Greenwich.. as soon as I figure out how to post pics on here I'll add them... would this thread be a suitable venue?

So, a question :-) (please don't beat me up if it's a silly one!!)

Do/have HMA8's been fitted with the army style exhaust baffles (the big square shaped ones)? I think it would look quite the dogs danglies along with all the other lump and bumps.. but that's just me.

What do you all think?

Phil.

Hi Phil, Firstly welcome I'm sure you are going to enjoy yourself here they are great bunch of guys always willing to help almost no matter what.

Regarding your question, no. The filters are only fitted to the Army types and maybe the Marines, so if you fancy the filter it may have to be a 'green' (Army) jobbie.

If the pics were taken aboard Ocean chancer are that they were Marines cabs (aircraft) they may have the filters fitted then if so this would be the way to go.

Tony aka Lynx7 who flies them, is the man to ask but he is quite busy at present putting something new from Westlands through it's paces.

Remember there are no silly questions, only silly answers.

Hi all, thanks for all the info posted here. I'm halfway through an OOB of the RN version and have just started on the AH-7, they're both, hopefully, going into the Coalhouse Fort Museum. It's probably old news by now but Jamie Haggo built the RN version for SAM and mentioned that if building this A/C, you should use the armoured pilots seat, lucky I read that before closing up the fuselage!

I also found a way of representing the 'disco-light' under the fuselage. Basicly, I took some iridescent film that I found in the hobby store where I work and wrapped it a couple of times around a piece of plastic rod which was cut to length and inserted into part 8E. Before doing this I painted the rod gloss black as the film works best with a black background and, before the paint had dried, I stuck the film to the tacky surface and wrapped it around the rod. You have to do this as no glue seems to work on the film but I did manage to seal it down with a coat of Future.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Revell 1/32nd Lynx, just hope they manage to get the same level of detail on the surface of theirs as Airfix have managed. I'm off to do a bit more, TTFN, David.

• 1 month later...