F-14A Tomcat (VF41 - "Black Aces") 1994

Started 30 March 2012

F14A_VF041_AJ101_160394_001.jpg

Kit and aftermarket to be used.

Kit = Fujimi 1/72 F-14A Tomcat - Hello Independence Boxing #28006 [i-5]

Decals = Microscale #72885

FUJ_010_001.jpg

Whether I finish or not before end of GB is debatable, but I am going to try. Saying that, I opened the box last night and started removing parts from the sprues. Roll on to this afternoon, and after an initial spray session, the kit has just fallen together.

FUJ_010_002.jpg

Edited by Andy Mullen

....the kit has just fallen together.

I wish mine would......go for it tho and good luck

9 April 2012

Being extremely busy with work didn't help, but I finally completed the build last night before the old GB deadline of midnight 8 April and then found we had been given a one week extension.

Paints used were as follows:-

Model Master Enamel 1760 Gull Gray (FS36440)

Model Master Enamel 1705 Insignia Red (FS31136)

Model Master Enamel 1728 Lt Ghost Gray (FS36375)

Model Master Enamel 2031 35109 FS Blue

Model Master Enamel 2022 Intl. Orange (FS12197)

Xtracrylix XA1130 Gunship Grey (FS16118)

Various AlcladII shades

The decals went on with no problems, but with the boxing not having any decals, I had to use some old CAM formation lights from the decal spares stash.

I used the sidewinders from the kit, and using a spare LAU7 from the spare box, I added an AN/APX-95 TACTS Pod (ACMI Pod) from the Hasegawa weapons set V. For the Phoenix pallets, I added my last two bomb racks and two TERs from the Hasegawa weapons set VII. Not being able to find any concrete proof of what ordnance was carried, I have left the racks empty, as though they are returning from the ranges.

After losing the kits supplied fuselage probes to the carpet monster, I used a set of HobbyDecal probes. Lastly I used one of my newly acquired clear Airfix stands for the inflight pose.

Completed photos

FUJ_010_003.jpg

FUJ_010_004.jpg

FUJ_010_005.jpg

FUJ_010_006.jpg

FUJ_010_007.jpg

FUJ_010_008.jpg

FUJ_010_009.jpg

FUJ_010_010.jpg

FUJ_010_011.jpg

FUJ_010_012.jpg

FUJ_010_013.jpg

FUJ_010_014.jpg

FUJ_010_015.jpg

FUJ_010_016.jpg

never had the fujimi kit; only one airfix and two hasagawa kits - so I can't really comment with any accuracy but on the basis on my experience with the hasagawa later mould I'm still battling with, almost anything must be easier to build.....

Thanks guys, really appreciate the comments :cheers:

Just to give you an idea, the number of parts used in this build was 107 - pilots included. To build the same Tomcat using the Hasegawa kit would have worked out at 165 parts - pilots not included.

Taking a Tomcat breather now until the F-14 GB over on Flory Models kicks off in May.

F-14 Stats to date :- 54 Tomcats built, 64 kits in the Stash and 1 in a holding pattern over the bench

Edited by Andy Mullen

Taking a Tomcat breather now until the F-14 GB over on Flory Models kicks off in May.

F-14 Stats to date :- 54 Tomcats built, 64 kits in the Stash and 1 in a holding pattern over the bench

the breather is well deserved

are you aiming for the same number of tomkitties that the US Navy had?

Just curious...

Thanks guys, really appreciate the comments :cheers:

Just to give you an idea, the number of parts used in this build was 107 - pilots included. To build the same Tomcat using the Hasegawa kit would have worked out at 165 parts - pilots not included.

There's a F-14 GB on Flory Models?! Sweet!

More great work Andy - surely you've approached Osprey with an offer to write their "Modelling the F-14 Tomcat" book?

Cheers,

Dermot

are you aiming for the same number of tomkitties that the US Navy had?

Just curious...

I think 633 (712 incl. Iranians) may be pushing it a bit :) I will be happy to complete the current stash, and there would still be a lot of decals options not done. ;)

I think 633 (712 incl. Iranians) may be pushing it a bit :) I will be happy to complete the current stash, and there would still be a lot of decals options not done. ;)

Wonder how many models would be needed to cover all the markings variations in the various USN Squadrons alone? Just throwing a wild guess, I'd say between 200 and 300. 100-150 models might be needed only to cover the major variations.

Wonder how many models would be needed to cover all the markings variations in the various USN Squadrons alone? Just throwing a wild guess, I'd say between 200 and 300. 100-150 models might be needed only to cover the major variations.

211 in this gif covering the most of the major variations I have in the decals stash or completed to date

F14GB.gif

makes my idea of having 24, one for each squadron, seem a bit lame....

no it doesn't, because it is achieveable - my first goal, one at least of each squadron, done in 2006

F14_001.jpg

F14_002.jpg

F14_003.jpg

Nice collection Andy ! I was pleased to see the VF-24 CAG plane as done in the repliscale sheet. Seems to be one of the lesser seen CAG schemes, still it's very nice IMHO.

Now if you have 211 schemes in the GIF, means I was not that far from the truth. Some squadrons seemed to be relatively "stable" in their markings (for example VF-114), others changed quite frequently. And then there were the CAG and CO planes, the high visibility becoming low and then very low vis before having some colour added again... fascinating stuff !!!!