Klingon D7 Battle Cruiser

Smiffy

Klingon D7 Battle Cruiser

1:600 scale Revell

Box%20Art.JPG

After his design work on the U.S.S. Enterprise, Star Trek art director Matt Jeffries was called upon to create the series regular ‘bad guys’ ship, the Klingon Battle Cruiser. He developed his design over a two month period, evolving and refining it through a series of sketches (as he had with the Enterprise). It was influenced by the shape of a Manta Ray, with Jeffries consciously creating a vessel that was “instantly recognisable as an enemy ship”. He wanted to make it look distinctly different from the heroes starships.

Unfortunately, budget restrictions meant that there were no funds available to build a studio model, so a deal was struck with the model company AMT. They were looking for a complimentary subject to follow up their U.S.S. Enterprise kit, which had become a huge seller. So, under Jeffries supervision, two 28” models were built. The first being used for filming, with the second used as a prototype to create the AMT kit. The model appeared as both Klingon and Romulan vessels throughout the original series.

Years later, when Star Trek was being developed for it’s first big screen outing ( ST: The Motion Picture), Jeffries original design was revisited. This resulted in the creation of a modified and much more detailed studio model (which was also later re-used in STVI: The Undiscovered Country). This version is known as the K’tinga.

A third version was created in 1996 for a special episode of ST: Deep Space Nine (“Trials and Tribble-ations“), to celebrate Treks 30th anniversary. For this special, Greg Jein built a new studio model of the original Klingon Battle Cruiser (now known as the D7). Although being based on the Jeffries model, it carried some of the details of the later movie version, therefore becoming a kind of ‘missing link’ between the D7 and K’tinga types.

The kit

The Klingon D7 Battle Cruiser is Revell’s second release in their new Star Trek range. The kit contains 73 parts, moulded on six grey sprues, plus one in clear. The finished model measures out at 378mm in length.

Sprue%20A.JPG

The kit appears to be based on the Greg Jein model built for the 1996 DS9 special. The top of the cobra head and upper wing featuring the distinctive detail pattern, rather than the smooth finish of the ship from the original series (TOS).

Sprue%20B.JPG

The engraving here is very nice and doesn’t appear to be as heavy as that found on their Enterprise kit.

Sprue%20C%20Cobra%20Head%20detail.JPG

Construction looks like it should be a breeze. Parts breakdown appears well thought out, with seams sensibly placed away from any areas of detail, that may otherwise suffer damage during clean up. Additionally, many detail parts around the neck and head are supplied as separate pieces rather than being integrally moulded as part of the larger sections, which is a nice touch.

Sprue%20C.JPG

Sprue%20F.JPG

Sprue%20G.JPG

A suitably chunky stand is made up from four pieces. It features a raised Klingon emblem on the base, which is embellished with a large logo from the decal sheet.

Sprue%20E.JPG

As with their Enterprise, clear parts are provided for the windows, nav lights, shuttle bay door and engines, making it very straight forward to light the kit. A most welcome inclusion. In fact it would make a great first subject, if wanting to try your hand at model lighting.

Clear%20sprue.JPG

As is common for Revell, mixing ratios are supplied for their own paint range. I'm not that familiar with Revell colours, but I believe they suggest painting the ship in the original two tone scheme. A kind of violet grey and light grey-green scheme. However, screencaps of the DS9 episode reveal the Greg Jein model to be a distinct green colour, more akin to later Klingon vessels, such as the Bird of Prey. So you have options here.

Decal%20Sheet.JPG

The decal sheet is a once again well printed and looks to be the work of Cartograph. Aside from the main emblems, you also have a selection of Klingon lettering, enabling a certain amount of customisation, if so desired. Although an ability to read Klingon may be advantageous here. Who knows what phrase you may end up unintentionally emblazoning over your latest creation.

Conclusion

I have to confess, I’ve always liked the look of this ship. In fact, I’d have to say I prefer this ship over the original Enterprise. It has a very menacing quality to it and makes a great model subject. The fact that it’s a brand new tooling makes it even more attractive. I also like the fact that the kit resembles the Jein D7. It opens up options for the modeller, with regards to the paint scheme.

Overall, this is a great kit. It's well engineered, features straight forward assembly and will build into an impressively sized model when complete. Here’s hoping we see more SF subjects like this one. Well done Revell.

Revell model kits are available from all good toy and model retailers. For further information visit

logo-revell-2009.gif

• Like 1

Thanks for that review Smiffy. This looks like a rather nice kit and miles ahead of the AMT kit (which I have in the stash and still needs paint)

However, concerning the following:

I'm not that familiar with Revell colours, but I believe they suggest painting the ship in the original two tone scheme. A kind of violet grey and light grey-green scheme. However, screencaps of the DS9 episode reveal the Greg Jein model to be a distinct green colour, more akin to later Klingon vessels, such as the Bird of Prey. So you have options here.

What role does the lighting play here? DS9 for example looks really dark and grey, almost black on screen but the model should be painted in that rather drab Cardassian yellowish grey. The Hero model looks really different from what we've seen in the series and that is all due to lighting. Although sometimes it then rather annoyingly turns almost yellow.

My point is then this: How the frak are we supposed to judge colors in space?

Aside from the main emblems, you also have a selection of Klingon lettering, enabling a certain amount of customisation, if so desired. Although an ability to read Klingon may be advantageous here. Who knows what phrase you may end up unintentionally emblazoning over your latest creation.

Does anybody know the Klingon for "MY OTHER SHIP IS A BIRD OF PREY"?

Wow!! Nice review, and thanks for the detail images.

It's going to be a long, painful wait until those get released over here on the wrong side of the pond..... the last round of Star Wars kits took more than a year. (Cursed marketing prohibitions!!)

According to an online translator, "my other ship is a bird of prey" is: wIj latlh Duj 'oH A toQ vo' PREY ^_^

I've just finished the small AMT snap together kit, I quite fancy getting this one to display next to it, any idea what the rrp is?

Thanks fellas. Glad you like the review. :thumbsup2:

What role does the lighting play here? DS9 for example looks really dark and grey, almost black on screen but the model should be painted in that rather drab Cardassian yellowish grey. The Hero model looks really different from what we've seen in the series and that is all due to lighting. Although sometimes it then rather annoyingly turns almost yellow.

My point is then this: How the frak are we supposed to judge colors in space?

Well I think this is really down to personal choice here. Do you paint it up to look like the studio model or do you go for the on screen finish?. With this kit, I'm inclined to go with the on screen look. I like the dk green finish and coupled with some subtle panel shading and weathering, I think you could end up with a very distinctive looking D7. That's just my preference, though. :)

Does anybody know the Klingon for "MY OTHER SHIP IS A BIRD OF PREY"?

How about "Honk if you like boney foreheads", or "How's my driving?". :winkgrin:

Wow!! Nice review, and thanks for the detail images.

It's going to be a long, painful wait until those get released over here on the wrong side of the pond..... the last round of Star Wars kits took more than a year. (Cursed marketing prohibitions!!)

I'm not sure you will see these over there anytime soon, I'm afraid. AFAIK, Round 2/Polar Lights have the franchise tied up over on your side of the pond. Contractually, I would guess Revell can't release them over there. I could be completely wrong though.

I quite fancy getting this one to display next to it, any idea what the rrp is?

I would say the best bet is to have a shop around. Prices obviously vary, but it is a very good value for money kit, imho.

• 1 year later...