Airfix 1/48 Lynx

Bobski

Err Haggis

Yep, only caught that this morning that Mr M had gone to DQ's for a few years, OOP's. Safegaurd eight clips shippers.

Would be nice if Aviation Workshop could release the 48th set though. A second thought would be the serials and Ships names of the flights operating/ed the Mk8. Living in Cornwall it would be good to do the ice creams cab.

Nice artwork on the nose of the Mk8. I'm thinking of robbing my half built beltcher kit of its P1+P2 seats, weapons, and bag seat to enhance the Airfix offering.

Is the revell one going to be any good though and in 32nd it may be a step to far up the scale tree me thinks.

Cheers the Woo.

Err Haggis

Yep, only caught that this morning that Mr M had gone to DQ's for a few years, OOP's. Safegaurd eight clips shippers.

Would be nice if Aviation Workshop could release the 48th set though. A second thought would be the serials and Ships names of the flights operating/ed the Mk8. Living in Cornwall it would be good to do the ice creams cab.

Nice artwork on the nose of the Mk8. I'm thinking of robbing my half built beltcher kit of its P1+P2 seats, weapons, and bag seat to enhance the Airfix offering.

Is the revell one going to be any good though and in 32nd it may be a step to far up the scale tree me thinks.

Cheers the Woo.

Airfix navy kit has either soft or armoured seats plus the 3rd soft seat in the rear as well as the bag seat. Nice detail. Weapons are good too. 4x Skuas plus all the usual dustbins.

I'll let you know re the Revell offering. I'm doing a review build of the test shot once its available ;)

Don't use all 4 Skuas though, it can only carry 3. Safeguard; 12 clips, full foulies, prep at the dip, buffer on the gang way, Admiral in his cabin reading Navy News!

Also, the armoured seat was only fitted in the left, oh how we bantered the JAFO's!!!

ultra-gay-seal.jpg

Only joking, I need to see this Lynx in the flesh before I shell out readies!!

Don't you forget it on Tuesday Haggo.

Adam

Well I got both from Airfix arrived yesterday great service,(ordered weds pm arrived fri am)

Is it just me that feels the kits are let down a little by having declas for the I.P's?

Is that the only option? No detail on the IP?

ultra-gay-seal.jpg

Only joking, I need to see this Lynx in the flesh before I shell out readies!!

Don't you forget it on Tuesday Haggo.

Adam

Go ahead and get one now before they all go. honestly mate it's probably the best kit they've ever done, it's a stunner.

Anyway, more to the point I thought you were banned? ;-)

Edited by Haggis

Is that the only option? No detail on the IP?

Just a smooth panel with several decal options. The Mk7s panel is black so it doesnt look too bad. See my previous post and piccie (I used a mix of Eduard PE to give it depth). The Navy versions are grey so the rather uninspiring instruments do stand out a bit more but its a colourful panel with the centre screen and twin CDNUs on the interseat console. To be honest, in situ, the panels look ok and aren't too obvious as decals when viewed on the completed kit.

Go ahead and get one now before they all go. honestly mate it's probably the best kit they've ever done, it's a stunner.

Wow, even better then the 1/48 Lightnings and Spit/Seafires from several years ago? Those were darn good kits.

I hate to rain on everyones parade, I am very excited about this kit. But after looking at the sprue shots here it looks to me there are a few areas that concern me. The clear parts look like it is thick and heavy and the panel details look soft. The sprue gates look heavy and there appears to be a fair amount of flash on the parts. But my assesment doesn't match what is being said by the people who actually have the kits. Perhaps if the images were a higher resolution I'd feel different.

I may as well just trust those who post here and order one.

I have the interior and most of the fuselage completed, a bit of filler will be needed around the jigsaw that is the rotor/engine housing but not too much. The transparancies are very thin and crystal clear so no problems there , so far a joy to build :)

Edited by sniperUK

I have to agree, it's a fantastic looking kit, the rivet detail is sublime. I can't wait to start mine.

The sprue gates are a bit on the large side but that shouldn't be too much of a problem. There is a fairly large amount of flash on my example, however this all on the sprue itself, none of it is actually on any kit parts.

Ian

Well I fully expected never ever to see an Airfix 1/48 Lynx Helicopter ,I thought they would all be snatched up and archived. B)

But tonight I have walked into Model Zone at lakeside and there on the shelf was the last one.

And its mine now. ;)

Ta very much

Ordered a Lynx AH7 last friday for a great price and yesterday picked up the Navy version for £27! at Cosford show. Had a quick look last night and its looks very nice, Never seen such detail in an Airfix kit :goodjob:

Like the folded option for the rotors and tail.

Do you think anyone will bring out an after market decal sheet?, I'd quite like to build a Navy bird with the Royal Navy logo and Union jack on the sides. A quick search of Airliners.net shows there are a few others that carry nose art.

One sheet could probably cover the whole navy with a mix of serial numbers and ship names.

Shaun.

Edited by Shaun

I was one of the many who succumbed at Cosford. I had previously said I would not be buying this kit as the then projected price was beyond my budget. However, the RRP was lower than I expected and most of the traders at Cosford were offering the kits at discounted prices.

Having prised the spruces out of the box (not much room for movement there) I must say I am very impressed. I am pleased to see the return of the raised rivet and it is entirely appropriate. There is plenty of fine detail and I like the uneven effect on the upholstery. All in all I am delighted with my purchase and am keen to start building it.

I hate to rain on everyones parade, I am very excited about this kit. But after looking at the sprue shots here it looks to me there are a few areas that concern me. The clear parts look like it is thick and heavy and the panel details look soft. The sprue gates look heavy and there appears to be a fair amount of flash on the parts. But my assesment doesn't match what is being said by the people who actually have the kits. Perhaps if the images were a higher resolution I'd feel different.

On the whole, I can only echo what the others have said. The clear parts are fine and not too thick at all. The surface detailing is really nice, with some of the finest riveting I've seen on a kit. As you've pointed out, some of the sprue attachments are a little heavy, so you will have to take care removing some of the more delicate parts. The only slight little gripe I have is the way they've crammed all the sprues into one bag. My AH.7 has one damaged part because of this, but it's really not a major issue. Overall, I'm really impressed.

Anyone know if the necessary parts are included in the HMA8 to make a Mk. 86 ?

Or would I need both kits and kitbash the noses? (and probably some other bits?)

As the Mk86 is loosely based on the HAS2/3, you will need to kitbash the nose somewhat. Luckily due to the nature of all Lynx being 'mix and match' from the Westlands parts bin, it shouldnt be an onerous task. The rear of the sponsons will need attention as will the top area or the engine cowlings (no cow horns and a few less bumps due to still having the RR Gem 2 engines). The tail rotor is the older variety in that it turns in the 'wrong' direction. On the plus side, you get a choice of folding tail or fixed tail boom in the Airfix navy version. Will be good to see if you decided to do a Mk86.

(I have a handful of Belcher Bits 1/48 Lynx and at some point I'll look at bastardising the HAS2/3 nose from that on to the airfix kit. If it works, I may look at recasting a few if you need one?)

Just had my two delivered, (one of each) and they do look great in the box. Also must mention Airfix and their great service, ordered on Saturday afternoon delivered today, can't get mcuh better than that. They really are on a roll and long may it continue.

One of each just ordered.

Thanks very much guys for making me spend money I don't have. You are a bad influence.

Graham

As the Mk86 is loosely based on the HAS2/3, you will need to kitbash the nose somewhat. Luckily due to the nature of all Lynx being 'mix and match' from the Westlands parts bin, it shouldnt be an onerous task. The rear of the sponsons will need attention as will the top area or the engine cowlings (no cow horns and a few less bumps due to still having the RR Gem 2 engines). The tail rotor is the older variety in that it turns in the 'wrong' direction. On the plus side, you get a choice of folding tail or fixed tail boom in the Airfix navy version. Will be good to see if you decided to do a Mk86.

(I have a handful of Belcher Bits 1/48 Lynx and at some point I'll look at bastardising the HAS2/3 nose from that on to the airfix kit. If it works, I may look at recasting a few if you need one?)

I assume a Dutch SH-14D would be a similar conversion apart from the engine cowlings since they received the Gem 42?