GB Chat

AnonymousDFB1

Hi,

Does anyone have the Skymodels CR 42 sheets ? I've got the Italeri Cr.42 AS kit, and none of the kit schemes would be suitable for this gb, but looking on Hannants website at the 2 Skymodels sheets it's impossible to see if any of the schemes are suitable.

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/SKY48036

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/SKY48037

Can anyone tell me which sheet has a scheme suitable for the GB ?

Thanks.

Peter

Hi Peter,

There are definitely relevant options on Sheet 1 -3-4 of them I believe, and I'm building one off the 1/48 sheet. Would be amazed if there aren't any on Sheet 2 as well. Trying to find a bigger image but it's tricky!

Quick question on BF109E & F during the Siege.

(I think "E"'s were used.)

Were these all fitted with tropical filter for their respective variants?

I'm trying to finish off my BF109Fs and notice that the profile that I'm following does not show a filter.

If I need to add the filter, it would be easier at this stage in construction before the major camo goes on.

(I don't have a pic of the actual AC, just the profile from Osprey's 109 aces of the Mediterranean. Colour profile #42 - pg 47)

TIA

Moe

Edited by CanadaMoe

Only two 109E-7 units were ever present in Sicily for operations against Malta. These were 7/JG26 and I/JG27... this can be found in the pdf links mentioned earlier on page 2 of this thread.

I don't have readily available info for JG27, but do have a book devoted to the history of JG26 . It's 7th staffel reached Sicily early February 1941 and by the 12th was making an impression on Malta. By the end of the month they had achieved air supremecy over the island. At this time the Axis passed up a golden opportunity to invade Malta, and instead turned to the Balkan campaign in early April. In late May, 7/JG26 was sent to southern Greece and then very shortly to Libya to join the above mention 1/JG27 which at that time was the lone 109 unit in North Africa. This particular staffel of JG26 had no tropical filters, not even while in the desert and it's aircraft suffered greatly as a result.

For the F and G versions based in Sicily, I really don't have a definite answer for tropical filters. When looking at the terrain in the photos of these airfileds, they look fairly grassy and the runways themselves somewhat less so. I think most filters seen in Sicily were of those aircraft either being prepared to transfer to North Africa or have returned from there. As always, there are exceptions.

The particular profile you mentioned was likely a recent arrival from the Russian front, which would explain it's particular camou.

---------

edit on JG27 - it consisted of all three staffel of the first group. Also cannot find any mention of them participating on Malta sorties before heading out to the desert.

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG

Ok my CR.42 decals have arrived (which seems to have 4 schemes available for Malta), so what should I do next as i've abandoned the P-61 for a bit

Either :

Trumpeter 1/48th Savoia-Marchetti SM 79 , 193 Sqn based on Sicily - a nice torpedo bomber

SM79.jpg

Italeri 1/48th CR 42 70 Sqn

I'm leaning towards the SM 79, but willing to be persuaded.

Peter

Edited by Peter Marshall

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I would like to say a huge thank you to maltadefender, RobW and, of course, Mish for bringing us this superb groupbuild. I have thoroughly enjoyed it.

Now comes the really difficult part... the voting. Have ya seen the quality of the builds in the gallery? How on earth are we supposed to choose???

Thank you everyone. And congratulations.

After three mad months and two long years there aren't many words that I can find to sum things up in a hurry! I'll leave that to m'colleague Rob... sometimes it's best to leave the words to a photographer!

The quality of the builds in this GB has been breathtaking at times. I doubt that I'm the only one to feel like I've learned a huge amount from all of the Malta builds, and that they'll inform how I approach my modelling for a long time to come.

As for the competitive element: I'll open the voting tomorrow night for 7 days (although I have no idea how anyone's going to pick a favourite!)

Once the voting is finished I shall inform the deserving winners of our prizes. I shall also require from our winners, please, a high resolution image of your build and a quote from you about the build and the GB. This will be for a press release that I'll be sending out to a number of interested parties, including the Times of Malta.

Once again, thank you for taking part and ensuring that the quality of the builds was about the highest any GB could lay claim to.

Nick :partytime:

Thank you everyone. And congratulations.

After three mad months and two long years there aren't many words that I can find to sum things up in a hurry! I'll leave that to m'colleague Rob... sometimes it's best to leave the words to a photographer!

The quality of the builds in this GB has been breathtaking at times. I doubt that I'm the only one to feel like I've learned a huge amount from all of the Malta builds, and that they'll inform how I approach my modelling for a long time to come.

As for the competitive element: I'll open the voting tomorrow night for 7 days (although I have no idea how anyone's going to pick a favourite!)

Once the voting is finished I shall inform the deserving winners of our prizes. I shall also require from our winners, please, a high resolution image of your build and a quote from you about the build and the GB. This will be for a press release that I'll be sending out to a number of interested parties, including the Times of Malta.

Once again, thank you for taking part and ensuring that the quality of the builds was about the highest any GB could lay claim to.

Nick :partytime:

as co-host I would echo the above. I know I hav enot been around as much as I should and I apologise, but have enjoyed watching the builds come together. Looking forward to seeing the voting results

Yes, this has been a great GB!

A winning combination of a nice tight theme, a fascinating mix of aircraft types and some great camraderie :)

Thanks again MD and RobW :cheers:

Cliff

I enjoyed this GB very much, and it was nice to sort of 'rub elbows' with fellow modellers from across the pond. Been building for a number of years, but still managed to learn a few things from the participants.

Hope next time around we will have a six month time frame.

Model on!

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG

Many thanks to the moderators and all who built, and all who helped me with my builds. You can all take a bow because through this I was inspired to build, and most importantly finish, several models I'm pleased to add to my collection... though I am a bit overloaded with Spitfires now!

I was a little sad we didn't end up with some ground vehicles, but I was pleased we had a ship, and a very well-executed one at that.

In the end I cast my vote to the model whose pictures I spent the most time just staring at, congrats JackG... but the Maryland is a worthy (apparent) winner, a lovely model of an aircraft that really epitomises the Malta siege, I think.

Thanks again!