Academy 1:72 FW190 D-9 JV44 boxing

Also wanted to build this for the GB:

SAM_0934.jpg

Its unstarted but lost the box when i was trying to condense the stash to fit in the top of the wardrobe :)

I'm probably over reaching myself a bit here with the speed i build but i was thinking that when it gets to the main painting etc. on the bigger Tamiya kit it shouldnt be to much more work to paint this little one and hopefully stand a chance of getting one finished before the end.

Anyway, plan is to go OOB and with the kit decals for red 1 and hope to replace the very ropey airfix one I built when i got back into the hobby a few years back,

Cheers, Stu

Edited by stoohoo

Steve - yes it looks like a really nice kit and certainly seen some nice ones built up, even in 24hrs (Rowan...). I have built a couple of the old airfix 190D kits and they arent bad at all but looking forward to trying something a bit more refined :)

Jes - thanks for the heads up, I cant help thinking I wouldnt have noticed that until I had it built next to the Tamiya one....:)

Cheers, Stu

• 2 weeks later...

Little bit of an update, got the pit painted, added some tape belts and a blu-tack cushion, just needs a wash and matt then can get it in and start getting the main airframe together.

Pic of progress so far

SAM_1139.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Great choice of kit. Thanks for the compliment about my 24hr build of the kit. :) I really like this kit and may have to source another for a quick, stress free build :)

work on the cockpit looks very nice.

• 2 weeks later...

Little bit of an update finally!

Mostly together now, scratched a basic gunsight, the leather bit around the cockpit coaming, the missing cockpit air vent on the cowling and something to represent a hatch on the otherwise bare area behind the cockpit

SAM_1268.jpg

Bit of paint and voila

SAM_1310.jpg

Now to finish the seams and prime,

Cheers for looking!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Just a little update to let you know i have not given up! Been struggling a bit for time recently but things have settled down this last week so fianlly making some progress.

Have got the undercoat on and sprayed the bottom white to mask for the stripes and now finally got Alclad on the silver bits, want to have a go at salt chipping as there seems to be quite a bit of paint flaking on the profile i have been looking at so sprayed Alclad for this and sealed with floor polish.

Anyway on with the pics and hope to start getting some colour on this soon!

SAM_1437.jpg

SAM_1436.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

Trying to pick the pace up a bit on this one now to hopefully get something finished before i run out of time!

Got the prop, canopy, wheels and gear legs completed and the main airframe has been masked for the stripes, sprayed xtracrylics RLM76 and lightened for a bit of depth.

Pic so far:

SAM_1461.jpg

Hoping to get the red on tonight and see how the masking has worked :pray:

Cheers, Stu

There was a good tip on the forum the other day on stopping paint bleed/creep under the masking and that is to now go over with a coat of white to find the leak points and then do your red

Thanks for the tip Alistair - might have to give it a try! :)

Time for an update...

Got the red sprayed, used Xtracrylics RLM 02 which with hindsight could probably have done with a touch of brown adding but should look OK once the panel lines are washed.

Took the last of the masking off this morning and not looking too bad, theres a couple of bits that need a touch up but nothing major, with hindsight could have done with making the stripes a little thinner but will live with it in this scale.

Tried lightening some of the red areas to add a bit of contrast but the blend coat has wiped most of it out.

SAM_1465.jpg

Now to crack on with masking a spraying the top, happy with how its going so far so hopefully wont mess it up with the mottling :)

Cheers,

Little bit of an update, have finished the top colours and now glossed ready for decals. Had a bit of a disaster with the mottling, just could not get it to spray right at all and ended up looking like I had sneezed on it :(

Went back the next evening, tidied up what was there and had another go, really a lot happier with how this turned out – mottlings not something I have much experience with but now really looking forward to getting the Tamiya dora to the painting stage to have another go :)

The solid camo comes too far down the sides as I had masked and sprayed this with the wings and then tried to blend it in a bit as it looked odd – lesson learnt for next time!

Pics of progress so far BTW - the RLM 82 doesn’t look anywhere near as brown in real life!

SAM_1486.jpg

SAM_1488.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Hi stu

A few times that i have come down to far with the surface colours i have come up again with the blue at it works a treat in giving a nice soft line. I also make some very feint pencil marks before applying the greens to aid getting the the demarcation line in correct place as otherwise its easy to just wonder down with the colours bit by bit ,anyway mottling on 1/72 scale is as difficult as it gets and yours looks fine.

Lets see this one finished by the 6th :whip: