Tamiya 1:48 FW190 D-9

Hi, was hoping i could join in with this if its not too late?

SAM_0933.jpg

Really looking forward to my first build of a Tamiya kit and sampling the legendary fit!

Bought it off a fellow BMer last year and it came with the eduard etch set you can see, not sure how much of the latter will get used as it seems too thin for some of the detail it replaces (morane mast and oleo scissors to name a couple of bits).

Planning to build it as the box scheme and without any major modifications at the moment, I am aware of the issues with the lack of engine plug / gear well roof / wheels / main strut length / gun bulges / single cannon ejector port (any more?!)...and I even looked at the beautiful MDC sets to improve it but:

1) - I would never get it built in time (will struggle anyway) and

2) by the time I had spent all that I may as well have got the eduard kit (which I am very tempted to get in the future when my modelling skills have improved a bit more :))

Anyway, hope its OK to join the fun?

Cheers, Stu

HI Stue

I think you will be haveing a relaxed time with the tamiya ,the Eduard builders are living on their nerves not knowing where that gap will spring out from . Good luck with the etch.

Alistair

HI Stue

I think you will be haveing a relaxed time with the tamiya ,the Eduard builders are living on their nerves not knowing where that gap will spring out from . Good luck with the etch.

Alistair

Thanks Alistair - yes I think a bit more practice required with test fitting before I attempt the eduard kit, I can see great things being done with it but it sounds like it needs a lot of care, I think if I started one now I would be lucky to get it done for May next year :)

Cheers, Stu

Better late than never. There'll be no better place than here to pick up tips on building 190s. Great choice, the Dora is my favourite aircraft, even if I am building an "A"!

Cheers guys :)

Tim - would probably have to agree with you, the 190D and TA152 along with the later mark spits and P-51D just look spot on to my eyes.

Steve - I really hope I can, I'm not used to working with such a nice looking kit so hoping to do it justice!

The etch cockpit is mostly together as is the rest of the etch bits i'm going to use so pics to follow soon.

This should probably be posted in questions but thought I would ask here - do any of the experten know what colour the pad on the headrest and seat cushion should be are they just leather? Also inside the cowl flaps and supercharger intake, assume it would be RLM02 and probably wont be easy to see anyway (risking ending up sweating the small sutff :)) but any thoughts?

Cheers, Stu

Stu, the cushion and pad would have been just leather. There would have been a good chance the inners of the cowl flaps and supercharger would have been NMF, if not RLM02.

Not really a great Spitfire fan but if I was pushed i'd name the Mk XIV as my favourite Spit. Like you though its Doras and the Ta-152 all the way for me.

Cheers guys :)

Tim - would probably have to agree with you, the 190D and TA152 along with the later mark spits and P-51D just look spot on to my eyes.

Steve - I really hope I can, I'm not used to working with such a nice looking kit so hoping to do it justice!

The etch cockpit is mostly together as is the rest of the etch bits i'm going to use so pics to follow soon.

This should probably be posted in questions but thought I would ask here - do any of the experten know what colour the pad on the headrest and seat cushion should be are they just leather? Also inside the cowl flaps and supercharger intake, assume it would be RLM02 and probably wont be easy to see anyway (risking ending up sweating the small sutff :)) but any thoughts?

Cheers, Stu

I have just taken a look at Merricks Aircraft Interriors and the leather colour is often very dark ,almost black. I dont know how much variation was found but i guess if the paint varied so did the leather. I useually use a redish brown as that contrasts well with the dark Rlm 66 but i will compramise reality for what looks niceto me . I think a dark leather would have a blueish tint to it so some black/blue mix and gray/blue for the worn areas

Not really a great Spitfire fan but if I was pushed i'd name the Mk XIV as my favourite Spit.

I quite like the Spitfire and if I had to choose it would have to be the clipped wing V's or IX's. They just look a bit meaner than the normal winged ones.

Steve

Thanks for the info guys - will prob go with leather / brown to add a bit of interest as its all a bit dark and grey in there :)

Steve - would have to agree with you with the Mk IX, got the Revell / Hasegawa one to do soon, it looks like a great kit.

Darren - playing catchup with the late start and just been going through your thread, looks like a tricky kit to put together but it looks like youve got it coming together really nicely - if you need any reference and its not unethical (?) I have a PDF version of the Eagle Edition JV44 Doras book someone gave to me if you want anything from it?

Bit of progress to show, still not completely sold on the etch cockpit but got it together and a couple of other bits,

SAM_1033.jpg

SAM_1054.jpg

Sorry to keep on with the questions but does anyone know if there should be fuel lines out of the top of the tank and if so how many and where do they route to?

Cheers, Stu

I have a PDF version of the Eagle Edition JV44 Doras book someone gave to me if you want anything from it?

Wouldn't mind a copy of that myself.

but does anyone know if there should be fuel lines out of the top of the tank and if so how many and where do they route to?

There are two pipes that exit the fuel tank and enter the ETC carrier a little further back.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Good work Stu. The Dora is my favourite 190, and I went through a phase of building quite a few of those, mainly OOB but with etch harnesses and aftermarket decals. They're all in store back in Worcester at the moment. The Tamiya Dora is an enjoyable build, and with the enhancements you're doing, will make it look great.

Cheers Mick / Andy, the dora is one of my favourite planes too so been looking forward to breaking this one out of the stash!

Anyway made some small progress, modelling time is limited with 2 young kids so slowly does it :)

got the basic pit and IP painted, a bit uninspired with it. going to see what it looks like washed and matted, got the kit pit to fall back on maybe with a zoom set if required

Pic of the tub and IP so far

SAM_1137.jpg

SAM_1138.jpg

and gratuitous kid shots :)

SAM_1140.jpg

SAM_1141-1.jpg

looking forward to when i can get them on thier first kits :)

Thanks for looking!

It worked the other way around for me . I had been in to my modelling as a boy probably up to age 15/16 then other intrests came along . When my first son reached about 7 i bought him some Airfix tanks and a Hobbycraft JU87 for myself so we could have that " Father & Son experience " My son is now 20 and hasn't made a model for 13 years and i have been hooked ever since.

Looks like you will need a good supply of Tamiya Pink !! :D

Hi Stu,

Firstly great looking kids. How old are they? My boy is four this year and his sister will be two on the last day of the GB (guess what she is getting for her birthday!).

Don't be too hard on yourself as replicating the printed look of an IP by hand is a gift that not many of us are born with. I have previously tried this method. Paint your IP the base colour and before fixing it to the other parts, dip the end of a pointed toothpick/cocktail stick into the required colour, wiping most of it off but leaving the tip covered. Gently push the toothpick into the hole of the PE IP you wish to colour. remove the toothpick and you "should" have a perfect circle. I missed the yellow up a bit but you should get the general idea. Here's an example (sorry for the fuzzy photos) with my 1/32 Hasegawa Me 262 which is currently stalled:

IMG_7768.jpg

IMG_7777.jpg

Keep up the good work!

Regards

Edited by Kahunaminor

Listen Stu. There is nothing wrong with your cockpit or IP. Getting one looking as good as a pre-painted one just takes practice.

Try the method Kent suggested. I have used that method many times and it works a treat. Also, for the instrument dials you should try the Airscale ones (I get mine from Hannants)

Keep up the good work.

Steve

Thanks for all the input guys, that’s one of the best things about a group build – its great to be able to get new ideas / techniques from a lot of like minded, knowledgeable people :)

Haven’t posted a reply until now as I wanted to get to the stage of having some update pics!

Alistair – its similar to my story, I gave up modelling when I was about 13. I got quite into fishing but that takes god few hours commitment at a time so when my little girl was born I was looking for something I could do on odd evenings that was quick to pick up and put down once she was in bed. I stumbled across a forum on the internet and saw the quality of the models that people were building which re-kindled the desire to pick it up and haven’t looked back since!

Kent – thanks :) My little girl is 5 this July (and has been counting down the days since Christmas :)) and my little boy is nearly 18 months, hes a bit in and out with teething at the moment so evening modelling time is a bit patchy, it was gone 9 when he finally knocked off last night :) Thanks for the tip with the cocktail stick, def going to give that a try next time the results you got look really good!

Anyway finally got it all tidied up, washed with thinned Tamiya smoke and flatted down with humbrol rattle can matt (find this a lot easier to give cockpits etc a quick blast than setting up the airbrush but you have to be quite sparing in order to not leave everything heavily frosted – ask me how I know! :))

So panel completed before adding the acetate dials

SAM_1144.jpg

Then after much cursing managed to get the acetate backing on and panel onto the tub so this is where its at now

SAM_1171.jpg

SAM_1170.jpg

SAM_1169.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Thats a tidy looking pit, just how I like them, nice and used. When using acetate use either Klear or PVA glue, something like Gator's Grip, for fixing it in position.

I'm a ex fisherman, first I did coarse fishing and then fly fishing, I used to tie all my own flies as well.