WIP: IJN Hatsuyuki

MikeR

Hi folks,

After the saga of the Hudson I thought I'd have a go at something that's a bit less work and I fancied something floaty! ;)

So, I've decided to make a start on the Shirakumo kit by Pit-Road from their Skywave range.

I'm using a thread over on Model Warship by Dan Kaplan as a bit of inspiration plus looking at the reference thread in the "Calling all Ship Fans" section of that board.

Having read through what's there, it's become evident that Pit-Road goofed with this kit. The hull has a long forecastle whilst the actual ship had a short one. From what Dan's indicated in the reference thread, the only group 1 ships to have the longer forecastle were Hatsuyuki, Murakumo and Uranami. I was tempted to do Uranami as the kit funnels are wrong for the rest of the first group, but I decided to follow Dan's example and nabbed them from a scrapped Tamiya offering. So she's going to be the Hatsuyuki around the time of the Guadalcanal Campaign.

Overall shot with some reference pictures and the box:

Hatsuyuki 00

A close up current progress:

Hatsuyuki 01

Still a lot to do on the funnels and the cowls either side of the fore funnel - none of it's glued down yet. Just like the Kako, I won't be using any etch, so I'll try and replicate some of what Dan's done in plastic just to add a bit of extra detail.

More pics as and when!

Mike. :)

Edited by MikeR

• 1 month later...

Quick update, but no pics as of yet! Not much has been happening as I'm getting another model out of the way before I knuckle down with this one. ;)

I've shaped and stuck the funnels on and a had a sand'n'fill session to get them blended in - it's not looking too bad at the moment.

At the moment I'm trying to figure out how to to the degaussing coil around the hull, but I have a few ideas on that.

I'll have to get some sprue stretched out to get the ribbing effect on the funnels and the cowls, then I can really set-to!

Todays progress:

Hatsuyuki 02

Hatsuyuki 03

Ribbing on funnels and forward ventilation cowls on using stretched sprue - took a few goes until I managed a thickness I was happy with. Still needs to be tidied up.

I've also added the degaussing coil to the hull from thinly sliced 10 thou plasticard. It does look a bit wonky, but it should look OK once it's been sanded and painted.

Edited by MikeR

Cheers, Jim! B)

Some more progress for today:

Hatsuyuki 04

More superstructure on, with a bit of detailing on the rear deckhouse added. I've also begun adding the grills to the top of the funnels - rough shapes at first, then sanded to proper profile once it's all hardened.

If anyone's wondering, the wreck in the background is the old Tamiya kit - that's the kit I nabbed the funnels from. ;)

Edited by MikeR

Some more for today:

I ripped off the funnels, lowered them and fixed the rake on the forward one.

Hatsuyuki 05

I've also started on the funnel caps, though I'm waiting on some information as to the shape of the struts from Dan K. I've also added the steampipes, enlarged the platform for the RDF shack behind the second funnel and added an bigger bit of plastic to represent the RDF shack itself. My first attempt was too small! :doh:

Hatsuyuki 06

I've also added the gun platform forward of the bridge and changed the platform forward of the aft funnel to the larger of the two included in the kit, again thanks to Dan K on Modelwarships. B)

Edited by MikeR

Plugging away:

Bandstand altered to more accurate configeration, and I've added a basic representation of the nav lights on the wheelhouse:

Hatsuyuki 07

Funnel caps finished, apologies for the photo being blurry, but the camera doesn't have a great zoom function.

Hatsuyuki 08

The strutwork isn't accurate, but came out better than I was hoping. It's better than a lump with raised lines anyway! I've also had a go at the hatches on the torpedo lockers.

Edited by MikeR

Nearly there, just the gun mounts and torpedo tubes to detail then it's on to painting:

Hatsuyuki 09

Hatsuyuki 10

BTW, if anyone's wondering, I'm on holiday this week. That's why I've been able to do daily updates! :D

Edited by MikeR

Just a quick update - I've started on the paintwork so she's a now overall Humbrol 27 Sea Grey. Just needs tidied up and then I can get the deck started using my usual method of H9 gloss Tan overcoated by H29 Earth Brown.

I'll post more pics when there's something more substantial to show!

• 3 weeks later...

A rather belated reply as I've had trouble with my imageserve account - it wouldn't let me upload images for some reason! :wall:

Anyway, here's the Hatsuyuki as she currently stands:

Hatsuyuki 11

I've mainly used Humbrol enamels, although the second funnel has been done using WEM RN White. The main colours are on, so it's on to the scuttery tidying stage.

Edited by MikeR

Hello! What a difference once the paint went on, really brings character to the ship. It is good seeing an improved ship without etch, it shows we don't necessarily need it (although I am a convert to etch).

Look forward to seeing more.

All the best, Ray

• 1 month later...