144 Dragon Rapide

John Aero

No. I have been ill for a few weeks and I've just got back from a weeks break. I'll let you know when I have something.

John

Hi John,

Hope this means that you are on the mend now? :clap2:

Take it easy, and don't get pressured into anything, I'm sure everyone can wait until you are fully recovered.

Best Wishes

Mike

Hi John

I just joined the forum because of this thread :) If a Dragon Rapide became available I would definitely be interested in three or four.

I'm getting back into the hobby again after a very long time away, and started with motivations like Richey - I was planning a small aviation aspect for an N-gauge railway.

Of course then I got sucked back in and now my plans are for a layout which is a combined airport and railway! I think that the N-gauge railway community would be interested in both Rapides and Islanders, as there is a relative dearth of smaller 144 civil subjects that would go well with a layout. Both are long-lived prototypes, so would suit layouts from a range of periods.

Best wishes

OLAF

• 2 weeks later...
No. I have been ill for a few weeks and I've just got back from a weeks break. I'll let you know when I have something.

John

Hi John,

Hope you're feeling better now. I think I had the last set of the old mouldings off you, Peter was looking for more, but could only make up one kit :( - I'll have a few more of the next release please! It builds up into a cracking little model...

14Finished.jpg

More photo's here

I've still got the decal artwork somewhere on a hard drive, there's quite a few othere schemes I'd like to do as well

Dave.

That looks very tasty, I have the Heller kit with the Falcon up-date set, II plan on an FAA ship in o/a silver with the dayglo. If memory serves me they MOD sold off all the ex military Rapides for 50 Quid and the deal included 2 spare engines. Not a bad deal for the early '60's, you could start an airline with prices like that!

Colin on the Africa station

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I haven't been this way for a little while but I can say that the Rapide is going ahead as Whirlybird decals have kindly shot down their 1/72 Rapide decals to 144 and I've just drawn the windows sheet. Hopefully this kit will make Telford. I think the decal subjects will be acceptable, probably as three separate kits (all civil). I am doing some more work on the mould to remove the indented windows, but if I can't do this, a skim of filler by the modeller will restore the surface for the decal application. I will issue prices ect nearer the time

John

At this time the plan is for three separate kits. These will have etch struts and props with metal spinners and with the possibility of cast metal props as well. I await some item pricing before I issue the likely cost but it will be reasonable.

John

Edited by John Aero

Just got back from Newark show (via my parents), It was a pleasant surprise to see John there with most of his trade stand and test shots of this and the update for the 1/72 Anson (Clear injection fuselage to replace the original vacform one)

The set of test shots I wangled out of Peter to produce the BEA model above were pretty good althought the fuselage was most definately a work in progress; the test shots I saw yesterday were excellent and I'd say all but the most die hard Rapide enthusiast would be very happy with them as they are. The windows are slightly recessed, but John was talking about making them flush so that the decal windows will fit better.

I also saw proofs of the decal design, if you just want one or two then I'm sure you'll be happy with the selection. A ball park price was also mentioned which I thought to be pretty fair, but I'll leave it to John to announce the decals and the final price when he's ready, don't want to steal his thunder!

For those who want a few more or something a little more esoteric, now that John's commited to releasing the kit, after much gentle persuasion from me and a few others, I'm looking at doing some alternative colour scheme decals for the kit. No promises yet, but if there's a particular scheme you want, let me know!

I wasn't going to release any details until I have the decals in hand. I plan to release as single company kits. Same airframe but differing decal scheme. However I will be doing the Rapide in these schemes. 1.BEA colours, Choice of two, EZ and SH. 2. AA livery. (1 choice) and 3. Railway Air Services, both EAL and CPP. I have ordered a 100 decals and there shouldn't be any supply problems unless the mould fails. I will post on Britmodeller when they become available tentatively forTelford. Dave, G-ALPK (Air Taxis (Cumberland) in it's white /red cheatline,lettering/pale bluegrey scheme at Prestwick in 1957 :goodjob:

Regards

John

Edited by John Aero

Dave, G-APLK (Air Taxis (Cumberland) in it's white /red cheatline/pale bluegrey scheme at Prestwick in 1957 :goodjob:

It's amazing what you can turn up on Google - Who's this handsome chap then?

FirstflightG-ALPK.jpg

You had me fooled for a minute, G-APLK was the reg carried by the Miles M100 Student whilst Miles owned it and before it became G-MIOO. Googling Air taxis Cumberland brought up a couple of photos on Air Britain of G-ALPK, one in the above scheme.

1197910M.jpg

Then a search for G-ALPK turned up a colour partial shot of the airframe on Pprune The lower fuselage looks the same colour as the wings, it could indeed be a pale blue grey, if you hadn't mentioned this I would have assumed a worn doped silver.

I'll put this on the "to do" list.

Thank you for this. Yes that's the bird I miss typed the LP. I'm glad you're on the ball young man. Those super photos now confirm what I recall of the colours. Maroon red trim white topsides, fin/rudder and nacelle top cowls with pale blue/grey lower sides. The etch has been sent off.

Cheers

John

Edited by John Aero

No, despite the blue cast, I assure you it was a pale blue, that is one of the abiding memories I carry. I was sure of the lower fuselage but not the wings and my photos didn't show too clearly. I also strongly suspect that the colour in the Profile Publications no144 (and the screen shot on Prune) being a real greenish Blue (Sky) overall ( possibly due to a verbal description of "Duck Egg Blue" is wrong and the earlier colour scheme as civilianised by Lancashire Aircraft Corporation was in fact the same colour (pale blue) as the one in the Prestwick shot and just the top had been repainted white. When I flew in her she must have been due for a re-cover as she next wore White and Red. The full article on PPRune gives a lot of info.

John

Edited by John Aero