144 Dragon Rapide

John Aero

Yesterday I was scrapping some moulds to recover the Aluminium and I came across the set for the Rapide which saw very limited production (less than 15 were sold). I wasn't happy with it as I'd made the window recesses too deep and the top wing one piece which made painting difficult. However it did make up into a charming little model and the two models pictured are the surviving "stick together whilst still hot" prototypes, spray with a can and felt tip the windows. What I had forgotten is that a few years later I had experimented with grinding off much of the male window section to make them shallower. To my suprise the mould still ran OK. It originally had white metal props and struts but a little etch set would really work well and I think the fuselage mould would run on the Clear styrene machine. Would there be any interest?

John (Aeroclub Models)

Rapide144025.jpg

Rapide144033.jpg

Rapide144030.jpg

Rapide144027.jpg

• Like 1

If I remember rightly, one of these used to operate out of Squires Gate in the 50's. It did pleasure flights around Blackpool Tower. That was my first flight as a young boy. A holiday treat with my Dad.

One of those would be a nice memento. If only I knew reg...G....?

Cheers

I have one of the clear plastic samples you gave me and some of the other guys in the Airliner SIG at a Huddersfield show a few years back. Nice model.

You should release it for sure with the extra etch and white metal bits - and some decals also (I always liked the AA scheme)

Steve

ps - do you still produce the 1/144 white metal prop sets?

Steve

A lot of the 144 stuff really needs remoulding and in some cases re-mastering. I do have some items. I had forgotten I ran some off in clear.

John

I have one of the clear plastic samples you gave me and some of the other guys in the Airliner SIG at a Huddersfield show a few years back. Nice model.

You should release it for sure with the extra etch and white metal bits - and some decals also (I always liked the AA scheme)

Steve

ps - do you still produce the 1/144 white metal prop sets?

I'd certainly be interested in getting a couple John, it looks like a little cracker. I was nevre aware that it had been produced.

I built your 1/48 Rapide several years ago, its was a lovely kit. I fitted it out with a full interior & engine.

rapide1.jpg

rapide3.jpg

John

• Like 1

Oh it's nice to see that one. I am revising the patterns on that (when I can find time). You have made a splendid job of it. The little Rapide is the rarest ever Aeroclub kit. I love Rapides as I first left the ground in one and I have flown in several.

John

I'd certainly be interested in getting a couple John, it looks like a little cracker. I was nevre aware that it had been produced.

I built your 1/48 Rapide several years ago, its was a lovely kit. I fitted it out with a full interior & engine.

John

Hi John

Great to see pictures of your made up models !

I have one of your original 1/144 injection moulded Rapides, its unmade, and moulded in caramel coloured plastic.

I always planned on one day building mine, but was not quite sure what markings to put on it - they would have to be either home made or scaled-down S&M ones. Automobile Association would look good.

I'd certainly encourage you to produce some more of these little gems, particularly if they came with white metal and etched parts - and screen printed decals.

Don

Guernsey

Wow. I've got one which I bought offyou John at Hornchurch a few years back. Kept it unmade for a while but is now built but still trying to decide on a colour scheme!! I'm not too bothered about the windows though. Still have the white metal props to fit. Decals for 1/144 types are VERY scarce for any type( except modern airliners and a few military) almost and we could do with lots more!

I would love to see the kit available again maybe with a generic set of suitable registration letter decals in various colours included would be a nice addition!. I might like to finish mine as G-AIDL as I flew in her at a Biggin show when it was owned by Southern Joyrides and was plain silver dope overall and black registrations before going to Wales and subsequently to Air Atlantique.

By the way, I'm about to start work on the 1/144th P-2V Neptune in the early overall dark sea blue scheme of the Royal Canadian Navy with decals from CanMilair.

The kits has USN and French decals and all the parts to make an RAF one that I believe was available as a separate kit!

Edited by Paul J

Steve

A lot of the 144 stuff really needs remoulding and in some cases re-mastering. I do have some items. I had forgotten I ran some off in clear.

John

John

I do hope you keep the 1/144 line of props as they have been very useful to my modelling over the years. I'll need some for my clear Rapide one day!!!!

Hope you do reissue the Rapide

Steve

I hope the Mods don't object to me putting this here but it is specific to Civil modellers.

Civil Letter Decals

I have some Civil letters (and separate numbers sheet) in 20mm (Black and White only) these come on two A4 sheets and are £12.00 a set and the numbers are £6.00.

There are also 6.5 mm (Colours available are Red, White, Blue, Black, Silver, and Cream) which in 1/48 are 36” and 12”. These are useful for for many 1/48 light Civil aircraft such as Austers and Moths.

The 6.5mm sheets are £3.25 per colour include numbers. These equate to to 54" and 18" in 1/72.

The 6.5 mm size in 1/144 equates to 36”.

I also have some 4mm and 2mm combined letters and numbers sheets. Colours available are Red, Blue, Green, Brick Red, Sky, Light Blue and Yellow ( White and Black are OOS and being reprinted asap). These equate in 1/72 to 12" and 6". In 1/144 it is 24” and 12”. The smaller letters sheets (4mm and 2mm) are £2.00 per colour. They are all dedicated civil style with lots of extra G-A prefixes.

They are available now.

Cheers

John

Hi John

As Dave mentioned, what progress - if any - was ever made with the 1/144 BN Islander ?

Any chance of one ever seeing the light of day ?

I have Dave Chapman's excellent little "Airspede" 1/144 BN Islander and BN Trislander produced about ten years ago but last time I spoke to Dave Chapman - around 2008 - he told me stocks had long since sold out on both.

Thanks

Don

Hi John

As Dave mentioned, what progress - if any - was ever made with the 1/144 BN Islander ?

Any chance of one ever seeing the light of day ?

I have Dave Chapman's excellent little "Airspede" 1/144 BN Islander and BN Trislander produced about ten years ago but last time I spoke to Dave Chapman - around 2008 - he told me stocks had long since sold out on both.

Thanks

Don

The Islander patterns are within ten feet of me and I actually took them out of the box today. The Islander was originally started by Derek Bradshaw for me and delivered as blanks. I needed to finish them and make some changes to them as well. The windows have been scribed and the decal window overlays I did a few years ago . I also have what remained of Dave Chapmans Islander/ Trislander etch and Decals which he gave me when he packed in the production, but I have no airframe parts. Mine was intended to be injection from the start. I still have the engine nacelles to finish off.

John

Edited by John Aero

Thanks for the update on the Islander, John.

Dave Chapman was good enough to give me various white metal, etched brass and decal parts for his Islander/Trislanders a few years ago too, so I'm especially interested in the airframe parts if you ever get around to producing a 1/144 Islander.

I guess that to a keen modeller both the Islander and Trislander would be comparatively easy to scratchbuild using plastic card, given the size and basic shapes involved.

BTW I didn't intend to hijack the original Rapide theme, but ironically the ubiquitous BN Islander eventually succeeded the de Havilland Rapide on a number of air routes......

Don

count me in for the rapide at 1/144....I dont have anywhere near enough subjects for that time period of British Civil aviation so markings would be important

It will be the decals which will determine the price. So what decals? I have already drawn up North Sea Air transport Ltd (1948) Maroon and Cream. So what era? Pre-war, Post-war. Joy riders, Airlines or Survivors? I do have quite a number of references for Rapides. Also, if the fuselage is as you see it in the photos what colour for the windows decals, black, a blue, a silver grey, light or dark grey.

Here are the Islander patterns for good measure.

John

Islander144003.jpg