Nimrod obsevations and questions

Sten Ekedahl

Finally tried to get started on th Airfix Nimrod after having gathered some aftermarket parts (Alley Cat resin stuff and PE from Eduard). Noticed, as may others have done, that the crew will not be able to see the runway in front of the aircraft. I have read suggestions about raising the cockpit floor to overcome this. But since I am using the Eduard PE intrument panel, wich is a lot taller than the too short kit part, the easiest solution was to raise the seats 2.5 mm (0.1") and extend the control columns the same amount. A great thank you for all the reference photos on this site. They are invaluable. However they leave one of my questions unanswered: Do the cockpit seat have (folding?) armrests? Can't see any in the photos, but Eduard has provided PE parts for them. Could someone also confirm my interpretation of landing gear and wheel well colous; light aircraft gray gear and white wells?

(Edited for spelling errors by clumsy fingers.)

Edited by Sten Ekedahl

Hi,

I can't vouch for the Eduard set, but I made a new flight deck floor from 60 thou sheet and put on top of the upper locating rib in the front fuselage (I used the kit instrument panel and control columns unmodified). From the photos that I've seen the seats did/do have folding armrests, some may have had black padding on them. AFAIK the undercarriage legs are light grey and the bays white, as is the interior of the weapons bay and doors (but I could be wrong on the latter).

HTH,

Steve

Thank you! Been able to go ahead with the cockpit with that information. One more question thou; the door opening at the rear of the cockpit looks ridiculously small (3'3" high). :fraidnot: If the kit is correct the crew would have to crawl on their hands and knees to enter the cockpit! Surely it must be a lot bigger, at least 5-6' high? :huh:

Edited by Sten Ekedahl

Bear in mind when the in flight refuelling probe was fitted in '82, it was bolted to the cockpit roof and the plumbing went in through the roof escape hatch and back into the fuselage. I haven't seen inside one since then but it would have reduced the headroom somewhat I suspect.

Bear in mind when the in flight refuelling probe was fitted in '82, it was bolted to the cockpit roof and the plumbing went in through the roof escape hatch and back into the fuselage. I haven't seen inside one since then but it would have reduced the headroom somewhat I suspect.

Would probably not have interferred with the door opening since the rear end of the probe (where the plumbing went in through the roof?) is a good three feet behind the rear cockpit wall where the door opening is.

Edited by Sten Ekedahl

Could someone also confirm my interpretation of landing gear and wheel well colous; light aircraft gray gear and white wells?

After some deliberation I went for LAG for both - this site is well worth a look at :

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/howard_m...ndex.php?Page=1

As for the cockpit, you're a better man than I - mine got painted black and quickly buttoned up!

Thanks for pointing me to the Archive. I had completely missed that! :doh:

Edited by Sten Ekedahl