SBD Dauntless question

I'm building Hasegawa's 1/48 SBD-4 Dauntless and included in the kit are etch dive brakes. The plane will be modelled on the ground and as such the dive brakes will not be deployed. My question is this - when the dive brakes were in the closed position, could you see through the perforations and out the other side, or was there something inside the dive brakes that prevented this?

thanks

Mike

You can see through. The dive brakes on the underside of the wing also worked as flaps, so you can have them open, if you like, I have seen a couple of photos of SBDs that way.

True, however the only ones I remember seeing 'flaps down' are museum examples - I think they generally parked 'flaps up'

Go for it Mike. I built the old version of that kit with the solid dive brakes (dimples) and drilled each hole out myself! Madness - I think there were 168 of them!

Andy

AFAIK the holes are not perfectly aligned, i.e. if viewed from above or below they are not a perfect circle, and importantly the red paint of the interior of the flaps is visible on those parts of the undersides or interior (whatever you would call it that are visible in the openings). I depicted this on the old Airfix kit by painting the parts of the hole remaining in red then almost dry brushing the top side camo on so that the red remained visible.

• 4 weeks later...