Eduard Fw-190 A-8

After all this 190 talk and watching all the builds unfold i've decided to join in on the action. I doubt it'll be finished in time but at least posting in this section i'll be amongst other 190 nuts!

This will be the base of my build,

DSC_0780.jpg

The a/m i'm intending on using,

DSC_0782.jpg

DSC_0785.jpg

DSC_0786.jpg

No doubt more will be added along the way.

Although i'm more into my "Doras" than "Antons"!!! as soon as I purchased Captured Eagles German WWII aircraft captured by the allies and saw that this aircraft was featured in a decal sheet also available also by the same publishers I new I had to do it.

The actual aircraft,

DSC_0798.jpg

The profile,

DSC_0789.jpg

Both images taken from the above book.

I'm into my late war Luftwaffe stuff and the scheme on this 190 is just the thing I love.

This is the excellent decal sheet, which includes dry tranfers for all the stencils,

DSC_0796.jpg

The booklet included, showing all 4 aircraft that can be made,

DSC_0790.jpg

Stencil placement guide,

DSC_0795.jpg

Painting guide,

DSC_0793.jpg

Quite an unusual scheme for an A series and one that will go along side the Dora i've already built rather nicely.

There'll be quite a few firsts for me in this build the NMF finish for the wing undersurfaces and using p/e flaps.

More later.

Edited by tank152

The Captured eagles book is such a quality publication i would recomend it to all aircraft nuts not just luftwaffe. Wish i had got the decals aswell. Good to see the instructions for the painting guide .Very clear............. I will get an order off for those decals today.

It would be intresting to see if the built up eduard cowl is the same diameter as the quickboost .I recon it may be slightly smaller So leaves little room for error. Will def get gun covers for my next one.

Alistair

Thanks all, for the welcome. I have made a bit of a start and was hoping to get a few photos up tonight. I've spent tonight slowly disappearing under a pile of resin and plastic dust/chippings fitting the pit. Its still not quite there but its an early start for me tomorrow so will have to finish the job tomorrow night.

Alistair your right the Captured Eagle book is great and well recommended. As for the cowling I can see us having to grind some off the engine to get it in also if the cowl is shorter than the kit one I can see the cooling fan J39 extending out of the cowl a tad. Always expect the unexpected!

Andy, yes I though i'd better put those gun covers to good use beings that beat you to them!

Funny how some of the Aires is drop-in and others require a stonemasons degree! I'm sure you'll get it sorted though. I had to do some corrective surgery to my A-4 to fit the PE in, contemplating thinning/removing the cockpit side coamings.

Good progress though, looking forward to seeing the pics.

I'll start of with the sprue shot which I forgot to post last.

DSC_0799.jpg

Like Alistair i'm also using the Quickboost cowl here it is removed from it's casting block.

DSC_0781.jpg

I've built the engine up adding the ignition wiring, all of which is a complete waste of time as none of it will be visible! But its good practice for when/if I ever build one with cowls open.

DSC_0722.jpg

Here it is with a lick of paint with a wash. I've used Mr Metal stainless, dark iron, Citadel boltgun metal and Panzer Aces German tank crew black. The cylinders were washed with black oil the rest AK streaking grime.

DSC_0805.jpg

DSC_0806.jpg

DSC_0807.jpg

Again all of this is a waste of time, but good practice and fun to do. If I ever do one with the engine exposed i'll be using the Aires one as Kahunaminor has already mentioned there loads of things missing engine wise in the kit one. There is no need to add the exhausts as they are moulded into the Quickboost cowl.

Here are the fuselage halfs before,

DSC_0800.jpg

and after the thinning session to accept the Aires pit,

DSC_0809.jpg

Finally a picture of my thumb after an argument with a hammer at work!

DSC_0802.jpg

I've fractured it around the knuckle so that has slowed the build down.

Great work Tim, and I'm not referring to your thumb! I swear you must have jinxed yourself, after we discussed my feat of hitting myself in the head with a hammer the other week lol! And yes, to anyone else reading this, I did bash myself on the crust :)

I quite like the idea of the Quickboost exhaust, as I've yet to attach the kit exhausts to the engine, so the QB offering would make this easier.

Anyway, get well soon mate.

:rofl: No seriously, I'm sorry to hear that, Tim.

Steve

Steve, you have to laugh at other peoples down falls because they always laugh at yours!

Great work Tim, and I'm not referring to your thumb! I swear you must have jinxed yourself, after we discussed my feat of hitting myself in the head with a hammer the other week lol! And yes, to anyone else reading this, I did bash myself on the crust :)

I quite like the idea of the Quickboost exhaust, as I've yet to attach the kit exhausts to the engine, so the QB offering would make this easier.

Anyway, get well soon mate.

Cheers Andy, but yes i've made quite a good job of the thumb! Yeah its one of the first things I thought of, after i'd finished swearing.

The exhaust is moulded to the inside of the cowling and not available as a separate replacement part.

Anyway like I said on a previous post, I made a start thinning the fuselage inners to accept the Aires pit, of which this is what you get,

DSC_0814.jpg

close up of the main tub,

DSC_0816.jpg

rear decking,

DSC_0818.jpg

i/p and upper coaming all one piece,

DSC_0820.jpg

p/e and film,

DSC_0823.jpg

Fractured thumb or not I managed to complete all the thinning/sanding and get the pit in,

DSC_0810.jpg

DSC_0811.jpg

DSC_0812.jpg

all held in with blu tac, the windscreen fits over that coaming like a dream. I like the idea of that coaming being joined to the i/p as thats one job less later on in the build and as already mentioned the kits one never seems to fit properly.

The view from the under side,

DSC_0813.jpg

Hopefully i'll be able to get some work done wing wise next.

Commiserations on the thumb, hope it heals quickly.

Engine is fantastic, makes my token effort look infantile! That Aires pit looks incredible, after bits of PE pinging off today on my A-4 pit, I'm thinking of converting...

Really cracking build Tim, look forward to more. ;)

Ruari

Commiserations on the thumb, hope it heals quickly.

Engine is fantastic, makes my token effort look infantile! That Aires pit looks incredible, after bits of PE pinging off today on my A-4 pit, I'm thinking of converting...

Really cracking build Tim, look forward to more. ;)

Ruari

Cheers Ruari.I had the same problem with some of the p/e with the Dora, also although the colour p/e looks great it looks, without stating the obvious, just painted on! Thats the reason i'm trying out this Aires pit, plus it'll be great fun to paint. After looking at your F-14 pit you'd be a natural painting up a resin one.

Like the pre-glue work your doing. Makes a lot of sense.

Steve

I started doing that when I was building 1/43 cars. You didn't have the luxury of any locating pins or tabs etc with those so it was the only way of making sure things fit together.

Today i've been working on the p/e flaps.

First up the fret.

DSC_0835.jpg

Let the folding commence.

DSC_0838.jpg

DSC_0839.jpg

To fold the etch i've used the 'Bug' i've had this some time and used it a fair bit whilst car modelling as there was always a fair bit of etch involved in the kits I used. It certainly makes life easier.

DSC_0842.jpg

The finished lower flaps.

DSC_0845.jpg

The thin strips feed into the inside and fit perfectly.

Then it was on to the parts that fit to the inside edge of the upper wing. These were a bit more intricate, but folded together perfectly.

DSC_0847.jpg

Again using the Bug made life easy.

DSC_0849.jpg

Almost there.

DSC_0852.jpg

Finished, all the flaps together.

DSC_0856.jpg

Once i'd done all the folding I ran a tad of super glue into the joints and when that had fully cured flooded the joints with Kear to give them extra strength.

When cutting p/e from frets I always use this cutting set, you cover the part with the clear perspex lining the edge up to the edge of the part and then rock a curved scalpel over where it is joined. The clear perspex stops the part feeding the old carpet monster!

DSC_0846.jpg

I think that that was the easy part, as next up will be the cutting and thinning of the wings to accept the flaps.

Good grief man!

That is some epic etch work, really impressive, I would not.have the patience for such an undertaking YET. Great work, love watching your builds, so much to learn.

Parabat

good progress

Cheers Mick.

Excellent PE folding .Done these in 1/32 and that was difficult. Recon folding etch like this on a regular basis helps a part of the brain get bigger

Cheers Alistair, once you get your head round Eduard's instructions/drawings, they're certainly not done with Stru-Cad! they're not to bad to do.

Sweet work there, coming along very nicely.

Cheers Kev, I think the hard work as yet to come though.

Nice work on those flaps, tempted to get a bug too. I've got one of the very early hold and folds which is fairly useless.

Cheers Nick, they certainly make life easy when it comes to bending/folding p/e. I wish Eduard would give you some idea how much to thin the wings down to etc.

Superb p/e work Tim. That's something I really lack ability in doing. Mainly due to my impatience, and chunky rubber fingers lol! But those flaps will look great fitted on the wings.

Cheers Andy, things normally start to go down hill for me when it comes to gluing these things though!

Ohhh, exelent job on the flaps. I wish my skills with PE was that good.

I must admit they came out far better than I thought they would do, fingers crossed I don't mess them up when it comes to fitting them.