County Class

Does anyone make a County Class Destroyer circa 1982.

I am wanting to build HMS Antrim fo the 30th anniversary of the Falklands ln 1/700.

Does anyone make a County Class Destroyer circa 1982.

I am wanting to build HMS Antrim fo the 30th anniversary of the Falklands ln 1/700.

The only kit I can think of ,is the old Airfix 600th one, but nothing in 700th(or 350th) Which is a pity ,they were good looking ships.

Cheers Phil

Waveline used to produce a resin 1/700 County,they released a number of versions of the class.Although I've not seen their County their HMS Barham and USS Tennessee are rather good. I believe the County kits are no longer in production but occasionally you do see them on E-bay. By the way I understand Waveline are part of Pit road.

There was also a British company Skytrex or Meridian? who used to produce a number versions of the class in white metal. I am almost sure one was of Antrim or Glamorgan as in 1982, they were also in 1/700.

Malcolm

A Waveline County went on ebay a couple of weeks ago for £205, so they are pretty rare. Skytrex did a couple of kits, can't remember which exactly but they are also out of production. At the moment the only option is for the old Airfix in 600 as Phil said.

Mike

• 2 months later...

Watch this space. I have information from a new company that they are currently designing a County in 1/350. They're just undecided which era to release.

Watch this space. I have information from a new company that they are currently designing a County in 1/350. They're just undecided which era to release.

"They're just undecided which era to release" which tells us what?

1 they will bring out a late fit kit

2 it will be resin

3 it will cost lots off£s.

4 they will not consult us modellers so it will have bad errors

"

Thats brilliant news :partytime: ,Dave.I hope it isn`t "stillborn" as per the Cruiseline fiasco.

Thanks Phil

I don't think it will be. They are soon to be releasing several frigates from the 60's then the County. Start saving Phil as it looks like there's about to be a wave of British frigates and destroyers coming our way over the next year or two. :partytime:

I don't think it will be. They are soon to be releasing several frigates from the 60's then the County. Start saving Phil as it looks like there's about to be a wave of British frigates and destroyers coming our way over the next year or two. :partytime:

The Futures Orange???

Phil

The Futures Orange???

Phil

Nope, the future is closer to home. I can't say too much more at the mo as I don't want to put any more pressure on the chap doing them.

• 2 weeks later...

Are they all planned for 1/350 do you know?

MIke

Are they all planned for 1/350 do you know?

MIke

Yes, from what I've been told they will be 1/350

I can think of someone very close to home going to offer a Type 41 frigate HMS Leopard in 1/350. :clap2::clap2:

Time to check out the internet too easy to inform on him :o

Don't let on too much Garry, I think he's under enough pressure as it is. :winkgrin:

I've been given the go ahead to release the name of the company that is due to release the first County class destroyer in 1/350. It's Atlantic Models, probably better known as Peter Hall who designs the etch and intsructions for White Ensign Models. Also due out soon is HMS Leeds Castle. :partytime: I think we need to support Peter in his efforts and I hope the models do well so that we see more British ships on the market.

I've been given the go ahead to release the name of the company that is due to release the first County class destroyer in 1/350. It's Atlantic Models, probably better known as Peter Hall who designs the etch and intsructions for White Ensign Models. Also due out soon is HMS Leeds Castle. :partytime: I think we need to support Peter in his efforts and I hope the models do well so that we see more British ships on the market.

Completely argee,I`ll be buying one(or two).Looking forward to seeing the resin!! :speak_cool:

Cheers Phil

Edited by Phil Reeder

HMS Leeds Castle I'll like one of these, should've loads of photos if Ican find them from the last fews years if I've the right Leeds Castle. Also Dumbarton Castle now both with Bangladesh Navy.

Will need to start saving for county class destroyer.

Hi Dave,

I've just sent Peter a request to be added to his list for a County Class destroyer.

During the Falklands conflict, various ships were providing fire support for our attacks on Mt Harriet and Two Sisters on the night/morning of 11/12 June 1982. Whilst we were fighting, we saw an exocet launch to the east of us and watched it fly out towards the horizon. As the exocet reached the horizon we saw a ship launch a seacat towards the exocet but it had no effect and, a few seconds later, the sky seem to erupt with a flash and massive explosion as it hit her. We thought whatever ship had been hit, with an explosion that large, that it must have been sunk but we found out later, after we had taken Mt Harriet, that the ship had survived. She was HMS Glamorgan.

Getting this kit and building it as HMS Glamorgan will be a special thing for me.

cheers

Mike

• 1 month later...
Hi Dave,

I've just sent Peter a request to be added to his list for a County Class destroyer.

During the Falklands conflict, various ships were providing fire support for our attacks on Mt Harriet and Two Sisters on the night/morning of 11/12 June 1982. Whilst we were fighting, we saw an exocet launch to the east of us and watched it fly out towards the horizon. As the exocet reached the horizon we saw a ship launch a seacat towards the exocet but it had no effect and, a few seconds later, the sky seem to erupt with a flash and massive explosion as it hit her. We thought whatever ship had been hit, with an explosion that large, that it must have been sunk but we found out later, after we had taken Mt Harriet, that the ship had survived. She was HMS Glamorgan.

Getting this kit and building it as HMS Glamorgan will be a special thing for me.

cheers

Mike

I went to the 1982 Navy Day (in as much as it was - you werent allowed on any of the ships). I saw HMS Glamorgan - what a mess she was in - the whole side of the hangar was gone.

Personally, would love to see a Type 42 and a Type 22 Batch 3 in 1/350. My divorce will be complete by then..

Does anyone know approximately what the cost is going to be for the 1/350 County Class?

Not yet, as it's not due out till October or november, but given the size, I reckon it'll be £100+.