Wingnut Wings Fe2b

Viking

Afternoon all, I have started on my Fe2b, which was a bit of a surprise to me as I was planning on doing the DH9a !

Its going to be a monster of a build, I have no idea how I will rig the tail booms yet, but I have put that out of my mind for now and got cracking.

Beardmore 120hp engine. I have only push fitted the manifold and water pipes on for now, as I need wire up the plugs first. Silver is alclad aluminium, copper is Revell paint.

Fe2b1.jpg

Fe2b2.jpg

Instrument panel, all dials readable!

Fe2b3.jpg

Main 'pod' components painted up;

Fe2b4.jpg

Everything push fitted together, no glue used yet!

Fe2b5.jpg

Fe2b6.jpg

Fe2b7.jpg

I've got 'previous' with the Fe2b, having built the Aeroclub 1/48 kit a couple of years ago.

This one is going to be BIG!

Fe2b8.jpg

I'm throroughly enjoying this build, Wingnuts kits are just total and complete pleasure.

Cheers,

John

Edited by Viking

John,

Looks gorgeous -

Brave man taking this one on - I would hate to have to deal with all that rigging - urghh!!!

Dave

Making me salvate John. I at the painting stage before sticking things together. One question though. Have you glued the fuselage halves together yet? The reason why I ask is that the very front of the nacelle was made with layered strips of mahoghony and would not be a CDL colour (at least that is what my references say)

Pete/Andy,

I forgot the obvious, what colour scheme I will do it in!

Its the early version boxing, and I like the sticking out wheel at the front so will be doing 'Baroda 15' with the CDL/grey nacelle and sludge green wings. (PC 10 wasn't around yet apparently).

This One

Andy, I haven't put the fuselage together yet, its a good point you make about the nacelle. Page 7 of the instructions has a couple of pics of the interior and I'm pondering what to do with it. I agree that it needs to be finished differently from the CDL, I've also got 'The Fe2B flies again' showing the replica being build, with some very useful shots in it.

Cheers,

John

Edited by Viking

You are making a wonderful job of what seems to be an extremly well detailed kit. Your Aeroclub model proves the rigging will not be a problem for you.

Another Sunday, another update!

I have finished & subtley oiled streaked the engine plus wired up all 12 plugs. Its hard to see but they are all wired!

Fe2b-9-1.jpg

Fe2b-10-1.jpg

Fe2b-11.jpg

Also finished the instrument panel, etched seatbelts and various little details including the internal bracing wires;

Fe2b-12.jpg

Fe2b-13-1.jpg

Fe2b-14.jpg

I'll go and glue the pod together now (after I replace that wire from the front that I knocked out doing the pictures). Then its on to the wings!

Cheers,

John

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments guys, I just hope to be able to finish this monster, so far its been great fun.

A bit of an update now, the pod is mostly done, under carriage bult and main flying surfaces together.

I've also cut out, de-seamed, and painted all the struts, loads of them!

Heres what we have now;

My own mix of CDL, grey is Tamiya sky grey, and Alclad panels arounf the engine;

FE2b15.jpg

Dry fit the undercarriage;

FE2b17.jpg

FE2b16.jpg

Flying surfaces, I've only painted the CDL undersides so far;

FE2b18.jpg

I've tried to create the illusion of the upper wing roundel being visible on the underside of the top wing.

It's very subtle like I wanted it to be, and just about shows on the photo

FE2b19.jpg

Wings on & a start on rigging planned for this weekend!

Cheers,

John

Looking just great, John.

I would not have the courage to take on this one, so best of luck on your build, mate.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Next bit of progress. It slowed down as I managed to get in my traditionsl cock-up. On fitting the starboard lower wing, I eventually noticed I had put a gluey fingerprint on it, and also on one of the Alclad engine panels. Golden rule - put it down,walk away and leave it to dry. I sanded them off but had to respray the gloss black & alclad, and the wing panel. :angry:

Anyway, both lower wings on, lots of struts and finally the top wing. A marathon rigging session followed using Maxima Chameleon 2.5 Lb fishing line pulled through the top wing. I've read the comments on this technique vs the elastic EZ line. Each to his own but I much prefer this as it significantly adds to the strength of the whole structure. The whole thing is rock solid, but before riffing<edit> riffing? I mean fitting!</edit> it was very 'wobbly'.

In need of a haircut;

FE2b20.jpg

Trimmed, holes tidied up, and top wing painted.

FE2b21.jpg

Next up, the really scary bit - The tail booms!

Cheers,

John

Edited by Viking

Next up, the really scary bit - The tail booms!

Cheers,

John

Looking exellent! I'm told that the booms are drilled so that the rigging can be threaded through, almost as a single length. Is this the case?

As a WWI novice are all those holes for the rigging pre drilled? I really want one of these but the rigging scares me!

Julien

Nope,you gotta drill em all yourself.

I must be strange,rigging biplanes never puts me off,though I tend to do it reverse,and attatch the lines to the top wing,and add weight to the bottom to tension the line.