1:48 Hasegawa FW190A-2

Looking good. I'm with you I think with regards pre shading, I certainly won't be going over every panel line etc when I come to do mine, i'll do a few random ones and thats it.

Like that yellow, looks very nice.

I built this kit (in its A-4 guise) last year and struggled a little bit, mainly with trying to get rid of some seams, but other than that, it was relatively pain free. Looks like yours has been a little different....

All the same, it's coming along very nicely and I look forward to seeing some more paint applied.

Very nice work Tim.

Your shading is just the right side of subtle. Well done.

Steve

Why thank you Steve!

Hi Tim

How do you think the post shadeing has come out in comparison with pre shadeing ? I can see it in the second picture and it does look authentic .

I like the effect that pre shading can have IF done well, I did it on my recent P-47 and I think it was not well done and it looks like a patchwork quilt, perhaps its a technique more suited to modern Lo Viz scheme's :shrug:

Like that yellow, looks very nice.

I built this kit (in its A-4 guise) last year and struggled a little bit, mainly with trying to get rid of some seams, but other than that, it was relatively pain free. Looks like yours has been a little different....

All the same, it's coming along very nicely and I look forward to seeing some more paint applied.

The yellow is an old tin of Humbrol 69 which to my eyes is a very good match to some Aeromaster decals that are supposed to be RLM04 so I went with it. Not sure how old the tin is but the paint is much more golden and not at all like the new colour of Humbrol 69 I have seen??

I was having a bit of trouble with a couple of the seams on the rear fuselage but as that's where I hold the model most of the time I'm not sure if I'm flexing the joint too much. Otherwise the kit has not been hard work at all.

Progress today........

Before I went on to paint to topside colours I thought I would just check the brass pitot tube as I thought the hole for it looked a little large and I was correct, it was waaaaay too large so I ended up tapping out a plug from plasticard and glued it in.

P4020269.jpg

A much smaller hole was then drilled, it went a little low but with the pitot in it looks the part!

P4020270.jpg

I just needed to touch up the paintwork but before I could do that I managed to scratch the underside when I dropped the model onto my bench. :doh:

it was just a small scratch but as I flatted it back it seemed to get worse so I ended up re painting a couple of the panels, should have just painted the scratch.........

More progress soon.

Thanks for looking

Tim.

A small amount of progress.

Top surfaces painted with RLM75 which was quite heavily whitened and sprayed on the wing tops in a patchy fashion. I then did some mottling on the fuselage sides but the airbrush I was using gave a bit too much overspray and darkened the sides too much, this meant I had to go back over with the underside colour to bring the it back a bit. I may need to touch up a bit more once all is dry.

P4090260.jpg

The flash had lightened the colour a bit more than it is.

Then a little disaster.....

whilst cleaning my airbrush I knocked over the thinners bottle I use to clean through the airbrush; All over my lap and the back bedroom carpet! I've washed the carpet and flung open the windows but the whole upstairs now smells of thinners.

More progresss soon.

Best regards!

Tim.

My heart missed a beat when I saw the words disaster and thinners, I thought you was about to say it went all over the 190. Now that would have been a disaster. As Steve has already mentioned you've a great subtle finish, nice crisp masking as well.

Hi Tim

My heart missed a beat when I saw the words disaster and thinners, I thought you was about to say it went all over the 190. Now that would have been a disaster. As Steve has already mentioned you've a great subtle finish, nice crisp masking as well.

Well my heart skipped several beats as my crotch and the carpet got covered in thinners, the air also turned a very blue colour.

I thought it had missed the model but after the clean up I found just a single drop of thinners on the model, if you look really closely at the picture I posted earlier there is a hole in the side of the fuselage (pistol/flare chute?) and you can see its cleaner than the area around it, that was all that got hit and I'll be able to cover that with the RLM 74 I'll hopefully spray tomorrow so on the model side of things I've come out lightly....

But

The room still smells!!

Thanks also for the comments about the finish, I'm trying for subtle but it is too easy to press the airbrush trigger that one extra time and spoil the mottle. I read in your posts how you did your mottling so I'm trying to apply that technique to this model.

Hi Mick

looking good

Thank you!

Be back soon with more.

Best regards

Tim.

:hmmm::popcorn:

OK OK, I'm going into the smelly room to do some more......

Will post pictures in a bit, but it's only going to be going over the grey bit again!

Best regards

Tim.

As promised, going over the grey bit again.....

P4130261.jpg

Just felt that it was a little too light in shade so I went over it with pure colour sprayed at a distance, its still quite patchy but has a better colour.

Today will be wheel well painting and RLM74 applied to wing tops.

Regards

Tim.

Hi All

Work is getting in the way of modelling so getting a bit concerned by what time is left but managed to get some more done.

Wheel wells painted RLM02

P4140268.jpg

RLM74 applied to all area's

P4190269.jpg

P4190270.jpg

Calling the main painting done now so will try get on with the decalling this weekend.

Thanks for looking

Regards

Tim.

Hi All

Here's where we are now.

P4220271.jpg

But I have a problem that could end participation.........

The decal for the works number "223" on one side has disintegrated and although the tail band is on it is cracked in several places and bits of it are missing. I'm away from Friday so if I can't find replacement asap I'm out. Can anyone help?

Will also post in wanted section of the site.

Thanks

Tim.

Any luck Tim?

Can anyone help get this finished?

Steve

EDIT - Just had a quick look in my decal/instruction binder for my 190 stuff and I have these markings from the Tamiya kit. PM inbound.

Edited by jacksdad64

Hi All

With the very kind help of Jacksdad64 and Parabat I now have the offending decals sorted.

Thanks again guys!

All I need now is no drama's removing the damaged decals and no distractions this evening and we could be on our way, it will be very tight but I'll give it a shot!

Regards

Tim.