Graham's FRADU GA11

Hi all as the title says I am hoping to build a FRADU GA11, 1/48th, starting off with the Italeri Kit. When I was a wee lad I was lucky to get a week at RNAS Yeovilton doing work experience with FRADU on the Hunter and have a few that I would like to add to the collection starting with this one. Having done a little research the F6/9 only has a few little differences to the GA11 (Which I believe used to be an F4). Fortunately the kit comes with a tailpipe for an F6 which to me seems close enough to the F4 (although it is missing the tail hook that I'll need to build) The only other big difference seems to be the lack of light in the nose that should be fairly straight forward. All of the other mods that were done to make the GA11 seem to be included in the kit ( TE flaps have been cut for the bigger inner wing tanks, and it has the F6 wing instead of the F4 one, and the pods (???) under the forward fuselage can be left off and the locating holes filled). I am sure that I have massively oversimplified this but to my eye I think the end result should be fairly accurate without have to spend too much time modding or replacing bits. Oh and i have a new cockpit and seat and also the Navy decals (see pics below). I am however open to suggestions if my assumptions above are incorrect and would prefer to hear now while I have a chance to change my mind.

First the kit

IMG_3383.jpg

Then the extra bits

IMG_3384.jpg

I'll be building 861 this time. I am also hoping to do a two seat using the Heritage conversion and the T Mk8 also with the heritage conversion when the bank account and my build schedule allows (probably next year)

You've more or less got the mods right on that Graham; Just a few points on the kit itself; First of all the tailpipe is pretty awful - for an F6! Depends on how accrate you want your GA11 to be - but there are a whole list of mods to that kit (too many to go into here) and they are mostly listed in various build threads on here.

The GA11's were indeed converted from F4's. the Avon 100 had different vents and inlets etc., along the mid fuselage upper, than that of the Avon 200 series F6/FGA9 - though you can of course ignore those - I know I have in the past! Not all GA11's (and T8's for that matter) had provision for 230gallon tanks inner pylon underwing - so would not have the cut out flap. I'm pretty sure '861' was one of those that didn't. The small ERU Blisters on top of the wings should be added if you're painting '861' in Dark Sea Grey overall.

The Aden cannons should be faired over, and 'Sabrina's' left off as you suggest.

Have a look at the FRADU website... (just google FRADU Hunters) plenty of good pic's on there.....

(There's also a couple of pic's of my 1/32nd version of '861' in the GB here too........)

Hmmm may have to find a different number then as it was cutting out the flaps for the larger tanks that I did for a week when I did work experience on these with FRADU. Back to their website and i'll report back with a new reg. will have a look at a replacement tailpipe too, saw some nicer ones in another thread on here.

Cheers for the advice chaps

Graham

Hunter GA.11 XE685/861 has currently cut out flaps.

Source: thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/hunter/survivor.php?id=333

xe685yeovilton1107091.jpg

Now about the belly electronic device. Sorry but I lost the size references of this container.

img1824copyedited.jpg

img1823i.jpg

Pictures of the finished model: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...12&hl=FRADU

Master Model from Poland has recently edited a metal pitot tube for the Hunter ref. AM-48-039. Something useful considering the fragility of such a long pitot.

https://www.whiteensignmodels.com/p/Air+Mas...tot+Tube/10249/

img_AM480392.jpg

Let's also have a look at Serge Saenen braille scale Hunter GA.11 for various details as the cockpit design: http://ansmodelisme.topcities.com/SECOND/plane/hun.1.htm

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

Hunter GA.11 XE685/861 has - at least today - cut out flaps.

Source: thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/hunter/survivor.php?id=333

xe685yeovilton1107091.jpg

Now about the belly electronic device. Sorry but I lost the size references of this container.

img1824copyedited.jpg

img1823i.jpg

Pictures of the finished model: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...12&hl=FRADU

Let's also have a look at Serge Saenen braille scale Hunter GA.11: http://ansmodelisme.topcities.com/SECOND/plane/hun.1.htm

V.P.

Good call....there is a pic on FRADU of '861 in FAA service with cut out flaps - so they were in place then at least....

• 1 month later...

Finally got to cut some plastic on this project and have to say I am quite pleased with how this model is coming together (albeit early days in the build). I think it means that this kit is just right for my skill and accuracy requirements. Sadly as I am running out of time, patience and ability I am giving the resin cockpit a miss and using the one in the box with some add ons to the kit seat to make it look a bit better and then closing the canopy ( I got the Heritage twin seat conversion and that has lots for me to play with later in the year, just want to get this one done for the GB). It still needs a bit more colour and maybe a touch more weathering but for OOB I was quite pleased

IMG_3530.jpg

IMG_3529.jpg

The kit goes together fairly quickly, here is a plan view of all the pieces I have so far tackled

IMG_3528.jpg

And finally with the intakes built and test fit in the fuselage

IMG_3534.jpg

As you have probably guessed I am sacraficing accuracy for speed with this build although hopefully without to close inspection I will get a fairly good looking GA11 (fingers crossed)

Any hints or tips will be greatly appreciated, I am very impressed with some of the great hunters taking shape in this build

Cheers

Graham

(P.S for a bit of inspiration have a read of a book called Test Pilot by Neville Duke an incredible character and a Hunter story or two to go with it)

• 3 weeks later...

Well time has beaten me on this one although most of the work is well and truly tackled. Once I have the seat finished off and the canopy on it will be ready for priming and painting then the decals and complete. I have managed to do a few of the mods and filled the appropriate holes as well as adding a tail hook and the light in the nose. The stores and the undercarriage are as good as finished too so as and when the paint dries it should be fairly fast to finish. Here is how it stands then at the end of the build.

IMG_3555.jpg

IMG_3556.jpg

IMG_3559.jpg

IMG_3557.jpg

Hopefully I have got close enough to a GA11 shape and have suitably modified the kit.

Cheers

Graham