Stripping paint off foam

Caleb

Hi all,

Recently purchased a used flyfly Phantom. It has never been flown and to be honest hasn't been built that well either! The rebuild is in hand, but the previous owner painted it black all over very badly - completely forgetting to mask one side of the canopy and getting overspray everywhere. The plan is to repaint her as one of the Royal Navy FG1's but I could do with some tips for how to get the paint off. Obviously don't want to melt it, tried using tape which didn't work very well and would rather not try sanding as I can see it ending in tears. I would guess that its an acrylic based spraycan that has been used just from the texture over some sort of acrylic varnish.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...
Hi all,

Recently purchased a used flyfly Phantom. It has never been flown and to be honest hasn't been built that well either! The rebuild is in hand, but the previous owner painted it black all over very badly - completely forgetting to mask one side of the canopy and getting overspray everywhere. The plan is to repaint her as one of the Royal Navy FG1's but I could do with some tips for how to get the paint off. Obviously don't want to melt it, tried using tape which didn't work very well and would rather not try sanding as I can see it ending in tears. I would guess that its an acrylic based spraycan that has been used just from the texture over some sort of acrylic varnish.

Thanks.

you could try wet and dry my friend, or a very very smooth grade sandpaper, have done this on my pz Trojan to make it look more beaten up worked quite well, got a pz f4f next will get some piccies up when done hopefully

• 2 months later...

wet and dry - what sort of grade as I tried a bit of 1200 grit and started to make the foam move under the paint when I barely touched it. Did you use it over a block or a sponge?

I've seen a couple of products around which give a good prime on foam which I may try once I've got the paint off. If anyone can recommend one I'm all ears :)