1:48 F-14A+ VF-74 'Bedevilers' Hasegawa

Finally! Back from Brunei, been aching to get into this build!

Using the Hasegawa 1:48 F-14D I'm going to be building a VF-74 'Bedevilers' F-14A+ from Desert Storm in 1991. I'm going to be doing it as an in flight plane to save a bit of time. I'm going to building pretty much OOB, apart from decals and Master brass probe and AOA. I've got Fightertown decals 48052 for the markings.

The kit;

DSC00666.JPG

The aftermarket;

DSC00667.JPG

The reference material;

DSC00669.JPG

Now I've got to get cracking!

Rip-Cord

Edited by Parabat

Bit of work this morning. Using the F-14D CVW- 14 box provides you with everything you need for an A+/B Tomcat. As it's inflight, I've decided to use the kit seats etc. They aren't actually that bad, I'll prob add a bit to the tops and add some tape for the pilots and RIOs harnesses.

Cockpit (bit of filler on the sides)

DSC00670.JPG

Seats.

DSC00671.JPG

Chaos!

DSC00672.JPG

Using THIS for reference to the A+ as they provide good instruction manual scans!

Rip-Cord

Edited by Parabat

Hi Rip-Cord, glad to see you're back and can start building !

VF-74 is an often overlooked unit that however had an interesting career with the Tomcat. They were involved in some tense actions over the mediterranean in the '80s, including the "capture" of the Achille Lauro cruising ship hijackers and the USA-Italy confrontation that followed (that almost brought to an inter-allied air combat), air cover during operation Eldorado Canyon and of course Desert Storm. It was also the first unit to take delivery of the F-14B version (back then known as A+).

Looking forwardto see your build !

Thanks Giorgio,

The build is coming along... slowly! Nice bit of history there, always good to find out more about the units. I love the tailfin art and the dirty look of the VF-74 line jets.

Hope to do the Bedevilers justice!

Rip-Cord

More done today! Glued the wings, intake trunking, exhuasts, main body, blah blah blah.

Got some paint on the cockpit after adding a throttle, extending the top of the firewall and adding some switches to the sides of the RIOs office walls.

DSC00675.JPG

DSC00680.JPG

DSC00681.JPG

DSC00682.JPG

DSC00683.JPG

That's all for now.

Rip-Cord

Indeed. ;)

I had bought some Evergreen* corrugated styrene to try and construct the exhaust for a Mirage IIICZ.

Wanting to improve the issue cockpit, I had a look at the Aires pics to detail the sidewalls a bit more and came upon the idea of simply scoring vertical lines down the corrugated styrene. Once painted and drybrushed, it suffices as a switch panel!

I have no idea what the circular things are on the firewall (either side of the seat), but also 'stolen' from the Aires pit to jazz the G10-for-men Hase pit up.

* Evergreen 'Metal Siding', part no 4526, 040" spacing (1.0mm)

Edited by Parabat

Indeed. ;)

I had bought some Evergreen corrugated styrene to try and construct the exhaust for a Mirage IIICZ.

Wanting to improve the issue cockpit, I had a look at the Aires pics to detail the sidewalls a bit more and came upon the idea of simply scoring vertical lines down the corrugated styrene. Once painted and drybrushed, it suffices as a switch panel!

I have no idea what the circular things are on the firewall (either side of the seat), but also 'stolen' from the Aires pit to jazz the G10-for-men Hase pit up.

The daco book should help no end! Might have to get some corrugated styrene myself!

Mate, I am waiting Mr Coreman to send me the book! Cannot wait for it!

On a side note, could you please find/send me a pic of an A+/B pilots instrument panel? Not that I don't trust Hasegawa, just want to confirm before I commit...

Cheers.

Edited by Parabat

F-14A: (Note no HUD)

IMG_1861.jpg

F-14A+/B (double plate HUD)

IMG_1860.jpg

The hasegawa D boxing comes with the HUD and two different front control panels. You want the one with the two screens vertical to each other.

Squared,

Thanks Dave, just confirmed I was right to cut away the downward projecting bit under the F-14D pilots panel shroud!

Cheers,

Rip-Cord

Edited by Parabat

Were A+ / Bs fitted with the HUD during Desert Storm? Just wondering out loud here guys, don't mind me! I know they had them later.

Joel

I don't think they were Joel. I'm not angling to put one in anyway, just need to make sure exactly what system was used...

Edit - * Looking at the old F-14A+ on Hobbysearch(HERE), it appears the early A+ had the same HUD system as the A, lucky I've got an A to steal the a shroud from! *

Edited by Parabat

Pretty sure the A+ 'cats had the HUD as this was part of the A to A+/B upgrade. All B 'upgrade' models later received the 'sparrowhawk' HUD around in the early 2000's.

Dave-

The F-14A and F-14B's (aka F-14A+) prior to 2003 had the HUD image projected onto the front windscreen, and it was not a traditional HUD like what the F-14D had.

As you stated, the Sparrow/HAWK HUD was introduced to the F-14B fleet with VF-103 in 2003 and it was a true HUD.

Thanks for the info Brian,

Can you confirm that the A+ of the era I'm building (1991) would.have been using the same projection system as the 'A'?

Thanks,

Parabat

Dave-

The F-14A and F-14B's (aka F-14A+) prior to 2003 had the HUD image projected onto the front windscreen, and it was not a traditional HUD like what the F-14D had.

As you stated, the Sparrow/HAWK HUD was introduced to the F-14B fleet with VF-103 in 2003 and it was a true HUD.

Something I didn't know, thanks Brian. Would VF-32 'B' models be fitted with the HUD during OIF?

There are pictures of the cockpit of a VF-74 F-14A+ in verlinden's Lock-On on the tomcat. As the book was printed in 1993 I expect these to be typical of a gulf war era aircraft too. The "HUD" system is the same of the F-14A, so no traditional HUD is there.

I'll have a look later at the differences between this and the hasegawa A and D panels and let you know.. of course if you want the pics let me know and I'll send them to you!

Comparing this with the pictures Dave posted, the front panel is 99% the same as the F-14A, so I would use this. Will check the rear panels later

There are pictures of the cockpit of a VF-74 F-14A+ in verlinden's Lock-On on the tomcat. As the book was printed in 1993 I expect these to be typical of a gulf war era aircraft too. The "HUD" system is the same of the F-14A, so no traditional HUD is there.

I'll have a look later at the differences between this and the hasegawa A and D panels and let you know.. of course if you want the pics let me know and I'll send them to you!

Comparing this with the pictures Dave posted, the front panel is 99% the same as the F-14A, so I would use this. Will check the rear panels later

Thanks Giorgio,

I'd appreciate any pics. I concur with you and Dave re the pilots instrument panel.

Parabat

Shazam...

Bit of paint splashed on the cockpit, still needs work. Used a lighter grey, Humbrol 64, instead of the recommended Humbrol 140.

DSC00702.JPG

A+ IP's

DSC00703.JPG

Sorry for the lame updates.

neatly done - I said before somewhere that there are some impressive tubs in this, and here's another