wooden decks

p-26luvr

Just when are you supposed to attach the wooden deck?

I am working on Tamiya's 1/700 Rodney using a Wood Hunter deck set and find myself a bit perplexed regarding the build sequence.

From what I understand the deck should be a natural wood colour, so does this mean it should be added towards the end of the build? 

I lean towards adding the deck early on and be careful to paint around the wooden areas.

Any other ideas? :unsure:

It depends on your build order really. I like to paint the hull and any protrusions from the deck then attach it. I build and paint superstructure, turrets as I go then add to the model.

Some people build everything up then paint it all at once. To be honest I don't personally fancy that and it does make painting a model after fitting an absorbant wooden deck fairly high risk as one dab in the wrong place and you're screwed.

• Like 2

Planning is key,  make sure that you are familiar with all the bits that will be glue on after the wood deck is in place, it's easier to modify the wood when it's still on the bench. When you do attach the wooden deck, put the backing sheet on top of the deck to act as a mask and should keep your nice wooden deck clean!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I just tried a hunter 1/350 wooden deck for the Tamiya KGV. When I peeled off the plastic backing on the wooden deck, there was no adhesive on the wooden deck part, and the deck started splitting along the planking direction. I'm assuming that this is a one off issue with the deck that I bought, or clumsiness on my part?

Edited by Bob the Builder
spelling error

• 6 months later...

I’m usually an aircraft guy but getting stuck into ships again. Keen to try these - has anyone had issues with the decks warping or lifting over time? Read a bit about this but unsure whether it was manufacturer specific (added to which most threads commenting on this were at least five years old). Any recommended dodges from more experienced hands? Advice much appreciated. Readily will admit I’m a novice.