De Havilland Sea Vixen FAW. 1

Paul A H

As soon as this one found its way to the top of the review pile, I singled it out for a review build. Although this kit has some accuracy issues (see review here and comments elsewhere on the forum), the quality of the design and engineering and the sheer crispness of detail is exquisite. The Cyberhobby kit will be joined by the new Pavla corrected radome and resin cockpit in due course. In the meantime I've made a start on the plastic.

vixbuild01.jpg

The tail booms are moulded in one piece using slide mould technology. Whatever else you think about the kit, you can't deny that the fit of the booms to the wing is outrageously good. Not even a suggestion of filler is required! :lol:

vixbuild02.jpg

The fit of the intake walls is not quite so good, but still perfectly acceptable.

vixbuild03.jpg

There's nothing wrong with the fit of the undercarriage bays either, and they are really nicely detailed as well.

vixbuild04.jpg

I've assembled the outer wings too. Everything fits nicely, although I have omitted to drill the holes for the wing fold supports (my model will be built with folded wings).

vixbuild05.jpg

Last but not least are some of the smaller sub-assemblies. The intakes are great, as is the airbrake. It's a shame that Cyberhobby didn't include the inside of the airbrake bay so it can be posed open. A bit of a puzzle, that one. :hmmm:

The detail looks fantastic. It will be interesting to see how it all looks when put together and if the average non DH expert can see any problems with the shape.

I have heard rumours of a Javelin to follow, I really hope they get that one right as I have at least 3 Javelins I want to build.

Edited by Duncan B

The detail looks fantastic. It will be interesting to see how it all looks when put together and if the average non DH expert can see any problems with the shape.

I have heard rumours of a Javelin to follow, I really hope they get that one right as I have at least 3 Javelins I want to build.

I must admit I haven't heard those rumours, but if true that would make me a very happy man! Next up is their Sea Venom. Hopefully a review sample of that one will be inbound at some point during the next couple of months. After that they have a Buccaneer scheduled for release. A Javelin could be a logical next step, but then so could a Scimitar. Either way, it's all gravy! :lol:

Hi Paul,

Looks nice so far! I'm also anxious to see how this comes out. I have the MPM kit in my stash waiting for me to get up the courage to tackle it. I'm guessing that the CyberHobby kit will go together a little bit easier.

A Buccaneer coming too? That would be typical, now that I've shelled out the big bucks for the CMR kit!

Cheers,

Bill

Paul

When you put the fuselage halves together I found I had to remove the locating pins from the nose to get it best aligned. You can snap the intakes into place without glue but it is tricky to get them out again without dislodging the intake walls! Probably an idea to paint the intake walls and intake lips before joining the halves of the fuselage. Then you can just mask off the intake mouths.

As you point out the fit is exceptional, even more so when you consider the complex shape of the aircraft. Probably the best fitting kit I've ever made. I'm making mine with wings extended and you can just push them into place with no hint of a step or gap anywhere.

Fit of the Pavla nose is perfect.

All of the above makes the shape issue so bl**dy annoying!! I did wonder if they planned an FAW2 from some of the spare parts on the sprue - what do you think?

Pat

Following this with interest. Looked for this at the Yeovilton show a few weeks ago - no joy.

Did you notice the NACA inlets are backwards on the tailbooms? That will be tough to fix without making a mess of the crisp detail surrounding it.

crobinsonh said:
You may have paid the money for the CMR Buccaneer (I have 6 of them) but at least they are very accurate and thoroughly researched.

Regards

Very true, plus by the time you buy the injection kit, and then add all the resin and PE, aftermarket decals, etc. you're at about the same price as CMR!

Cheers,

Bill

Very true, plus by the time you buy the injection kit, and then add all the resin and PE, aftermarket decals, etc. you're at about the same price as CMR!

Cheers,

Bill

I don't regret spending my hard earned cash on the CMR Bucc anyway. I doubt an injection kit will be able to match the detail on it anyway.

Having heard all the early poo pooing of the Cyberhobbies Sea Vixen I thought I wouldn't be interested but seeing the actual parts on this post I might hold my reservations until I see the completed model.

• 2 weeks later...
I did wonder if they planned an FAW2 from some of the spare parts on the sprue - what do you think?

Pat

If they haven't got an FAW.2 planned, then the inclusion of Red Top missiles instead of Firestreaks is even more puzzling! :lol: I consider myself to be very laid back about such things, but even I have my limits. That that particular gaff is inexcusable :rolleyes:

Anyway, time for an update. I've painted the undercarriage bays and fixed them in place. While I was waiting for the Pavla cockpit and replacement nose to arrive, I painted the landing gear wheels and put the main gear legs together too. I usually find these fiddly tasks the most tedious parts of the build process, so I thought it would be a good opportunity to get them out of the way. I've added some brake lines to the main gear legs as well. I hadn't spotted that the scissor links were solid pieces until now. I think I'm going to have to drill them out now.

vixbuild06.jpg

vixbuild07.jpg

Then the Pavla cockpit arrived - huzzah! It's a real beauty, with superb detail and great fit of parts. Even better, it just plugs into the kit fuselage. All I had to do was remove some of the inner lip of the Navigators hatch and cut some plastic away in front of the Pilot to make room for the coaming. Even better, the internal detail for the radar power unit and the electrical distribution unit is included on the sides of the cockpit tub, along with their respective hatches. Look out for a review of all the Pavla goodies for this kit in the review section soon.

vixbuild08.jpg

vixbuild09.jpg

I can't remember the last time I enjoyed a kit as much as this! :)

It's still looking very good to my eyes, the quality of the moulding is amazing but already I've spotted the naca duct on the tailboom is facing the wrong way and that draws the eye once spotted. Shame that CH don't appear to QC their stuff.

Right then. The Pavla cockpit is done and it sloted beautifully into the lower fuselage with almost no fettling. The upper fuselage half requires a little bit of fettling to get it to fit over the cockpit, but nothing too serious. I've cut out the panels for the radar power unit and test/distribution unit as I'd like to show these off on the completed model.

vixbuild10.jpg

vixbuild11.jpg

Here is the airframe glued together and primed. The fit is very good, so there is only a little cleaning up to do here and there. The horizontal stabiliser isn't glued in place yet as it will be much easer to paint first.

vixbuild12.jpg

A quick test fit of the wings shows the overall shape of the model. Mine will be finished with wings folded though.

vixbuild13.jpg

vixbuild14.jpg

the naca duct on the tailboom is facing the wrong way and that draws the eye once spotted.

Yes, it's very obvious. Perhaps fill it with bog and put a decal over it. I will ask them for a spare set of tailbooms so I can cut it out from them and replace it. (Fat chance)

Looking ace Paul. Shame about the silly mistakes though, otherwise it could have been a great kit. The Pavla cockpit is brilliant, as is your painting of it. :clap2:

Duncan B said:
Despite all the bashing CH have taken over the inaccuracies I have to say it looks like a Sea Vixen to me, I could live with the way it looks.

It does quite look the part, doesn't it? The recessed detail is especially well rendered, and it sounds like the fit is very good.

I have the beautiful Model Alliance decals (for an FAW.2, I know...) that I'm just itching to use! I want to do the colourful XS587 of Flight Refuelling Ltd passed to RAE Llanbedr. Very interestng markings! I'm guessing that sometime there will be an FAW.2 conversion set for this CH kit, and it might be the right combination for me. I've read Damien Burke's build of the MPM/Xtrakit model many times (which I have in my stash), and I get more scared each time! Lots of things to fix...nothing insurmountable I think, but a lot of work.

Cheers,

Bill (who's thinking too much again...)

Lots of things to fix...nothing insurmountable I think, but a lot of work.

I seem to recall a chap did something similar with a Trumpeter Lightning, some decent plans, a Matchbox Lightning, some resin bits and a smattering of etch and came up with something rather good!

You just know you could do the same to that Xtrakit.....

Mark (who likes to play Devil's Advocate!!!)

Despite all the bashing CH have taken over the inaccuracies I have to say it looks like a Sea Vixen to me, I could live with the way it looks.

i don't know why- perhaps its the Pavla nose- but i agree. For whatever reason the assembled model seems to look better than the illustrations on the box top and the drawings on the instruction sheet. I'm supposing that sliding back the canopy and folding the wings may throw off the eye from the kits "issues".

i'd like to see how the model looks in profile to ascertain if it lacks the "Pot Bellied Pig" look of the Xtrakit offering, but i think i could live with the looks of this kit as well. I'm sure a well-executed paint job would make a world of difference too.

Full disclosure- i was pretty hard on the CH kit when i first saw it on the sprues.

david

Nice job so far, Paul! i was pretty uncharitable about the kit at first but it seems to be going together nicely. i always thought the engineering and the quality of the moldings was first-rate.

david

Thanks for the kind words everyone! I know what you mean, it's easy to get carried away focussing on the innacurate parts of a kit, but the proof of the pudding is in the tasting!

Here's the fuselage following a little light pre-shading. I won't weather it too much, but a little extra work with the airbrush usually goes a long way.

vixbuild15.jpg

Here is the underside of the fuselage after a coat of Tamiya X-2. Hopefully the pre-shading has helped to add a little variation to the finish. It doesn't show up that well in this picture though.

vixbuild16.jpg

Finally, here are the wings masked and ready for a coat of Gunze Extra Dark Sea Grey. I must admit I do like Gunze paint. It's nice not having to mix my own shades all the time too!

vixbuild17.jpg