Gunsmoke stains on Spitfire leading edges

Test Graham

Well I've been following this thread because for me, having 'fun' making plastic kits involves trying to produce as 'authentic' a model as I can at the end of the process. Thats 'fun' for me, its 'fun' for me because they are my kits, my models, and I have 'fun' making them the way I want.

I hadn't realised that other people want to tell me how I should be having 'fun' with my hobby, I didn't realise that what I should be doing is having 'fun' the way other people think I should be having 'fun'. Nor did I realise that the way I like to have 'fun' making my models would be offensive to people who like to have 'fun' making models a different way... I don't suppose I'll ever get the hang of all the politics behind modelmaking that seems to exist these days.

If you aren't interested in a debate about weathering and finishing styles and techniques and scale authenticity then why comment on the thread at all? I'm sure there are plenty of others discussions right on this forum that you could be contributing to instead... Something involving stamp-collecting or crayons maybe?

Edited by therollercoaster

...and another one that's heading the way of the dodo if people don't chill out a bit. :fraidnot:

Some people like to weather their models with gunsmoke, some don't. Doing it either way doesn't make them dickheads, but arguing over it when there's clearly evidence in both camps does. Chill out, and if you MUST argue about something, go and find a political forum if you really want to bang your head against a brick wall.

...and another one that's heading the way of the dodo if people don't chill out a bit. :fraidnot:

Some people like to weather their models with gunsmoke, some don't. Doing it either way doesn't make them dickheads, but arguing over it when there's clearly evidence in both camps does. Chill out, and if you MUST argue about something, go and find a political forum if you really want to bang your head against a brick wall.

Mike, I, for one, couldn't agree more with you.

Cheers

This is a Hobby . Build what you want , buy what you want and enjoy YOUR Hobby in the way YOU want.

It's got absolutely to do with anyone else. Its the satisfaction and enjoyment the individual gets out of HIS hobby that counts

There are enough Rules and Regulations in Life ( My Wife updates them regularly :) ) without someone coming along and pontificating

and suggesting yet more rules on what is another person's Hobby or pastime.

Cheers

Terry McGrady

I think this was a fantastic thread, some good info and banter along with differing points of view make for an interestind discussion. That all makes for an interesting forum and isn't that what we want? If we all thought the same, what a boring place it would be.

I also have enjoyed the lovely banter that has been going back and forth on this topic. I put my two cents in (yes I am a colonial) just as many others. Did I agree with some of the comments, no. Did I appreciate the passion and their argument, yes. And, isn't that what this hobby is about, the passion for building little bits of plastic into something we are proud of. For the most part, the discussions were pleasant, well thought out and mostly do what you like to do and whatever you do is okay. I appreciate the faction that wants as realistic a model as can be made. They place restraints on themselves that are extremely rigid with a goal that is for the most part unobtainable, but their results are nothing short of breath taking when you realize that heap of grey plastic parts turned into something that looks as if there really are shrink rays out there. I also am amazed at the technical builders out there that are so proficient in their buiding techniques that the model looks as if it were milled from a single piece of plastic. I am envious of the artists out there that can skillfully hand paint canopy lines freestyle and are able to mimic actuallity by their use of color, shading and blending. I also like the individuals who combine schemes and decals to create unique aircraft as who among us hasn't thought "Wouldn't it be so cool to combine these decal schemes to create the plane I would have flown." (I confess, I have mixed and matched certain schemes because how could you not combine the best of the lot on a multi-plane decal sheet?) This type of topic always brings out good debates and discussions. I like reading all the different sides as each time someone brings out a point I did not see or understand and it makes me appreaciate this nerdy hobby even more. All in all, in makes me a better modeller; not a great one, as I will never achieve that, but it makes me better. Thank you to all for your opinions on this topic.