Academy Hunter F6

Hello

After finishing my Buccs, I managed to start my Hunter yesterday, most major parts off the sprues and tidied up, it seems quite a nice kit and probably a fairly quick build. I am not going to worry too much about the external accuracy issues, but will (when it eventually turns up....) be using the Neomega cockpit for it.

The obligatory box shots of how it was yesterday morning:

DSCF0609.jpg

DSCF0610.jpg

How it stands now (the intakes are not fully glued at this stage:

DSCF0643.jpg

So now just waiting for the 'pit to show up so I can make some real progress

Cheers

Ian

Edited by fu_manchu

Small update. Still waiting for the cockpit, so doing as much as I can without it, after today it's all on hold until it arrives.

Focused on the small parts, all pin marks filled/removed and the interior colours sprayed, fuel tanks built, re-scribed and silver element on:

DSCF0647.jpg

First amount of nose weight added, white glued in place with some spare superglue/talc filler put on the top of some:

DSCF0644.jpg

Canopy masked:

DSCF0645.jpg

Rocket pods and gear fully painted:

DSCF0646.jpg

Wings build, pylons fitted and filled, sink marks (as they are quite noticeable on the top wing) filled and wing re-scribed and primed to check the work:

DSCF0648.jpg

Hopefully some real progress soon!

ian

Hopefully some real progress soon!

Ian

You are kidding aren't you, mate? :D Like what you've done so far - that's great progress. I have the same kit/Neomega combination - interesting about those sink marks as I noticed them on mine too.

Look forward to seeing hoiw you get on with the cockpit - I probably won't start mine properly for a couple of weeks because of my Tomcat, so I'll be looking to you for pointers?

Andy

Cheers, in one way it is good as it is 'forcing' me to concentrate on the little bits I normally rush at the end. The sink marks did seem quite noticeable, I marked them on with a pen, but was in two minds to fix. However, as I was without anything else to do I sorted them this morning. There is one near the outer pylon, one major one by the large part moulded into the wheel well and three minor lines about the wheel well that I dealt with.

Ian

Looking good so far Ian, I did one recently with the Neomega cockpit, fitted in well and incredibly well detailed:

A-HH03.jpg

I had to trim the bottom pretty close to get it to fit over the wheel well, but other than that it went in a treat.

Hope it turns up soon, i've been waiting since October for some Hawk seats :o

Cheers

Simon

Looking good so far Ian, I did one recently with the Neomega cockpit, fitted in well and incredibly well detailed:

A-HH03.jpg

I had to trim the bottom pretty close to get it to fit over the wheel well, but other than that it went in a treat.

Hope it turns up soon, i've been waiting since October for some Hawk seats :o

Cheers

Simon

Looks great!

October? I blooming well hope not, I have ordered about 5 pits in one go and won't be impressed if I'm waiting that long!!!!!

Looks great!

October? I blooming well hope not, I have ordered about 5 pits in one go and won't be impressed if I'm waiting that long!!!!!

Neomega took about 2 weeks from ordering direct online to it dropping through my letter box

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update, pit has arrived and I cut all the molding plugs off and fitted the side walls last night. As with my previous experience of NeoMega stuff, they fit really well. This morning I got to do the basic painting, the seat will be done later as this won't be needed for a while. The parts are painted in a dark grey over an all black initial shadow to at least allow some of the detail to be seen.

DSCF0658.jpg

DSCF0657.jpg

DSCF0659.jpg

DSCF0660.jpg

Hopefully I can get it all buttoned up by tomorrow night.

Ian

Edited by fu_manchu

Time for an update.

With the cockpit painted I fitted all the main parts together, this went pretty well. I ended up having to apply a small amount of filler around some of the wing roots but nothing too bad. The nose section also went on relatively well. I filled and re-scribed all the fuselage before attaching the rear tail and the wings and also made some replacement antenna, as I deliberately removed them prior to fitting the fuselage together to ease sorting out the seams. I managed to lose one the gun exhausts at some point last night after fitting it, so replaced it with a shaft of a cotton bud, a little bit bigger but it will do the job. I also went to fit the nav lights in the wing-tips, these are tiny and the one that I didn't manage to lose wasn't the greatest fit, so I replaced them with shaped superglue. As of this morning it was primed and ready for paint. The main canopy is only tacked in place with white glue so it can act as a mask:

DSCF0663.jpg

DSCF0664.jpg

DSCF0665.jpg

DSCF0666.jpg

A few minutes (and one drop which will require the re-attaching of one of the antenna and the canopy...) later, the high speed silver is on:

DSCF0667.jpg

DSCF0668.jpg

DSCF0669.jpg

I noticed that even when only blu-tacking the smaller parts on to sticks for about 30 minutes, removing it lifted some of the particles from the Tamiya Aluminium <_< . Given that they have been painted for about two weeks this would indicate that masking the bare finish for the fuselage demarcation will be a no-no. I will let it all dry for a couple of days then give it a gloss coat before moving on to the masking.

Thanks for looking

Ian

Proper progress now!

I sealed the HSS with Alclad Aqua Gloss late Friday. It is super fast drying so I was able to move onto the top coat yesterday. First-up the pre-shading:

DSCF0670.jpg

DSCF0671.jpg

Grey:

DSCF0672.jpg

DSCF0673.jpg

This morning the Green:

DSCF0674.jpg

DSCF0675.jpg (bit blurred this one...)

Still some touch ups to do on the two-tone scheme then I will need to spray the black nose and tail parts, hopefully I will be able to sort this out tomorrow.

Thanks for looking.

Ian

Hello

I have managed to get most of the decalling done yesterday and today. After some 'fun' with some Airfix Buccaneer ones recently, these didn't seem to bad, the roundles are a little thick and transparent but overall ok. Next stop another sealing coat of gloss and the weathering.

DSCF0689.jpg

DSCF0688.jpg

DSCF0690.jpg

Thanks for looking

Ian

Finished!

Managed to get a really good run at this today,probably pushing my luck at home though.. B). But anyhow, slightly miffed to realise via another build that you can't put the canopy back, so I have just dropped it in place for now. Pretty happy with how it turned out, I must admit I was a bit worried about the gear, which looked both complex and fragile, but they went together OK. Thanks for looking and hope you like it:

DSCF0691.jpg

DSCF0695.jpg

DSCF0696.jpg

DSCF0700.jpg

DSCF0702.jpg

DSCF0704.jpg

DSCF0705.jpg

DSCF0706.jpg

DSCF0708.jpg

DSCF0709.jpg

• 2 weeks later...