Sanger's 1/48th Avro Shackleton AEW2 vacform project.

Really looking forward to seeing this in the plastic at Folkstone on the 22nd. :wub:

It will put everything else to shame. :worthy:

Nice one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's very kind of you, but unfortunately it won't get the chance as I won't be there!

I've got a team-building weekend with work (mountain climbing in Wales) so I won't be able to make it - I'm gutted as my club is going too and I wanted to give the giant 747 another airing as well.

Looking great! Nice to see the "Magic Roundabout" cartoon making an appearance on your model.

The main wheels are a Lancaster pair, but they are the closest I could get for a 1/48th Shackleton as no aftermarket items exist:

Don't worry. In reality they're close enough that we've had enquiries about our spares from a couple of Lanc groups. The BBMF, East Kirkby, and CWH Lancasters are all on Shackleton tyres.

Regards,

Rich

Looking great! Nice to see the "Magic Roundabout" cartoon making an appearance on your model.

Don't worry. In reality they're close enough that we've had enquiries about our spares from a couple of Lanc groups. The BBMF, East Kirkby, and CWH Lancasters are all on Shackleton tyres.

Regards,

Rich

Thanks Rich... the thing that worries me is the hubs themselves. From the pictures of your Shackleton it appears they are solid and more 'Lincoln like'... mine have the holes around the outer part as seen on most WW2 Lancs. I suppose one way around it would be a set of Paragon Lincoln wheel hubs, but I imagine that'll be a case of hen's teeth...

I'm using a dongle at the moment so the photos look crap at the moment. need to get back on broadband so I can see them properly, Looks good though for what I can see..!

Thanks Rich... the thing that worries me is the hubs themselves. From the pictures of your Shackleton it appears they are solid and more 'Lincoln like'... mine have the holes around the outer part as seen on most WW2 Lancs. I suppose one way around it would be a set of Paragon Lincoln wheel hubs, but I imagine that'll be a case of hen's teeth...

Add a piece of plastic sheet cut like a washer? Placed over the top of the holed portion on the Lanc wheel and it would look like the larger brake drums carried on the Shack.

Rich

I'm currently working on the contra-rotating props. The kit spinners would have been some serious hard work to get right, so I am greatly indebted to Colin at Freightdog for selling me some Seafang spinners... they have made life much easier!

Below is the Seafang spinner, along with Sanger's white metal prop blades, which are very well cast. To the right are the kit spinners - molded in halves and I didn't fancy my chances of getting anything decent out of them:

S1030333.jpg

The next job was to clean the blades up, and then attach each individual blade to the spinner:

S1030334.jpg

Finally, a test fit showed them to look 'spot on':

S1030338.jpg

Now I've just got to do the other three... that's only 18 more individual blades to clean up and attach! Happy days :wall:

I'm currently working on the contra-rotating props. The kit spinners would have been some serious hard work to get right, so I am greatly indebted to Colin at Freightdog for selling me some Seafang spinners... they have made life much easier!

Hi Tom,

I've looked at Freightdog site for the spinners and found nothing.

Was it a private sale ?

Do you think Colin would sell me some spinners too ?

Cheers,

A very very very impressed Sebastien

I'm at MOSI Manchester - do you need any pics of their Shackleton??

Brian

Hi Brian,

If you did take any then yes please - I'm nearly done so if I missed out any details now will be the time to add them!

Thanks,

Tom

Hi Tom,

I've looked at Freightdog site for the spinners and found nothing.

Was it a private sale ?

Do you think Colin would sell me some spinners too ?

Cheers,

A very very very impressed Sebastien

Hi Sebastien,

Yes it was a private sale - I had the pleasure of meeting Colin whilst I was at the Cosford show and was picking his brains about replacement props. That was when he informed me he had some Seafang props which may have been of use.

Your best bet would be to contact him directly - he's on here as Colin@Freightdog I believe. I would like another set too as I'm planning on doing a Mk3 in the not too distant future - so don't go buying them all!!!! ;)

Tom

Props are now ready for installing on the model - if I have to paint another set of contrarotating props like this again... !!!!

Saying that, I am planning a Mk3 in the future... please try to talk me out of it!

S1030341.jpg

I'm sure when I sleep tonight I'll have visions of red and white propeller tips...

Tom

Really looking superb - and one of my absolute favourite aeroplanes!!! :wub:

Amazingly fast progress - wish I could work as fast :(

If I *ever* get the Connie done I'd love to have a go at an AEW Shack in 1:32...

Iain

I won't be talking you out of doing some more

I want to see your MR3 when you make it ;)

I know what you mean about all those red/white tips though

Still have the old moth holed tee shirt in my wardrobe somewhere ;)

The spinners look "just right", nice work

b

Edited by perdu

The finishing touches have been added to the old girl over the last day or two, and she's now finished.

After what seemed like hours of painting, the props were added to the engine fronts:

DSC_0160.jpg

The whole model was then given a coat of Satin Varnish, and the masking removed. All the other windows were then added using clear acetate cut to the correct shape. The astrodome is the kit part:

DSC_0163.jpg

DSC_0177.jpg

And finally... she was done:

DSC_0180.jpg

For those interested, there are plenty more photo's in RFI: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...p;#entry1010606

Thanks for all the interest and support along the way... it's inspired me to build a Mk3 so watch this space!

Tom

Edited by tomprobert

Props are now ready for installing on the model - if I have to paint another set of contrarotating props like this again... !!!!

Saying that, I am planning a Mk3 in the future... please try to talk me out of it!

S1030341.jpg

I'm sure when I sleep tonight I'll have visions of red and white propeller tips...

Tom

ok, you're talked out of it, try a mk2 phase 2 forget about the mk3 and then i can see how you tackle a mk 2

hugo

• 1 year later...

My grandfather flew on Shackletons for pretty much all his RAF career, My love for aircraft and most of all the Shack have been passed down to me from him. What your have produced there has almost brought a tear to my eye, such a beautiful master piece of a stunning aircraft that is ignored by mainstream manufacturers.

Thank you

• Like 1

That is a stunning build!

Have to ask, how big is the finished model?

Karl

Thanks Karl, I was pleased with how she turned out. I keep looking at my MR3 which is also a vac from Sanger... one day in the not too distant I think I'll get cracking.

Length is approx 20" and span is approx 30". She's a big girl in 1/48th.

Cheers,

Tom

Edited by tomprobert