F-4G wild weasel colour question

c.smith10

Hi

Im building Hasegawa's 48 scale F-4G which i aim to paint in the 2 tone grey scheme, the call out on the instructions for the light grey is gunze 306 which i converted to humbrol 126 well i bought a pot of 126 today and it looks wrong to me, to dark and with a blue tinge, so the question is, is 126 the correct colour for the light grey on a two tone grey F-4G wild weasel?

cheers

A quick google shows these schemes applicable to the Livid Weasel:

SEA Wrap-around - but without pale grey FS 34079, FS 34102, FS 30219

European I - dark green/medium green/dark grey FS 34079, FS 34102, FS 36081

Hill Grey I - dark grey/medium grey upper surfaces, light grey lower surfaces FS 36118, FS 36270, FS 36375

Hill Grey II - as above but without light grey FS 36118, FS 36270

ADC Grey overall FS 16473

:search:

W

A couple of errors above.

The F-4G did wear the SEA which included 36622 Lt Grey undersides, as well as the SEA wraparound scheme.

I don't think it ever wore the Hill Grey I scheme, but did wear the Hill Grey II, and I've never seen a F-4G in ADC Grey(would like to see a pic if it did)

I wouldn't go with Humbrol paints as their colours are way off for most of them. Try Xtracolor I've used them for 12 +years and always find them spot on for matching.

• Like 1

I've heard that many times before, but the only time I had an issue was with a tin of Forest Green FS14079 X110 a few years back which took a couple of days to dry. At the time I was using their own thinners, but have since swapped to Revell's Colourmix(under recommendation) thinned 60/40 in favour of thinners which is touch dry within a couple of hours. The Revell Colourmix also allows the paint to go on smoother resulting in a better finish, infact all I use now is Xtracolor and Revell Colourmix.

I may have to look into that as I know my local model shop stocks xtracolour! I have some Plamo laquer thinners which work well with humbrol so I may try that with the xtracolour, if that fails I'll try the revell thinner!

Thanks for the help

Sorry I have to correct myself in my last post.

It was only when I saw you mentioning thinning Humbrol that it came back to me, it was Humbrol thinners that I had problems thinning Xtracolor with not their own brand.

Another bonus with Xtracolor is it's Gloss which eliminates the need for a Klear coat before decalling.

A couple of errors above.

The F-4G did wear the SEA which included 36622 Lt Grey undersides, as well as the SEA wraparound scheme.

Yes it did, photo credit Boeing

d4c-119918-1.jpg

Still did look great in wraparound. Photo credit Boeing

c22-287-4.jpg

Julien

ps thanks for the revell colourmix tip

I think the one depicted on the F-4G's left inner wing pylon, and used on F-4E/Gs in the late 1970s/early 1980s, was the LAU-88 triple-launcher. They usually carried just one AGM-65 on the bottom rail, or slant-two on the bottom and inboard or outboard rails (the latter being more usual on F-4Es).

The triple-launcher IIRC is in the Hasegawa missiles set, along with Mavericks. Remember using that a long time ago but believe it's still widely available. Remember it also being included in the Monogram A-10 kit, but my memory isn't what it used to be!

tony t

Edited by tony.t

is this using the LAU-88 without the two side rails?

464_.jpg

That's a LAU-something different single-rail launcher. Off the top of my head, it's something like a LAU-117 single rail launcher, and I stand to be corrected on that one!

Cheers

tony t

Edited by tony.t

That is a lovely build Tez. I have the original boxing to pick up tomorrow, won it on ebay for £21!!-I built one of these over 20 years ago as my very first Hasegawa Phantom. Now which scheme-SEA?, SEA Wraparound?, Euro 1? a grey one?...Which unit? 3rd, 37th or 52nd? What choice :wub: As for paint, I tend to use Humbrol for camo (browns and greens and the dark grey for Euro 1) and Polly Scale and Life Colour for the Gunship and Medium Greys respectively. I agree on Xtracolour, take ages to dry

Joel

The triple launcher is the LAU-88/A and the single launcher is the LAU-117/A. They are completely different and it isn't a case of the triple one without the side rails being the single one.

Bandwagon106, out of interest what thinners do you use with Xtracolor?

Hi Scott,

I use Revell's thinner, just a few drops after a good stirring-I hand brush my models. With Xtracolour it usually means that any other painting work on that kit is done for that day, unless it's done in the morning. It does vary with the particular paint I'm using quite a lot, their metallic shades are okay though. I think I have been spoiled with acrylics and their drying time!

Joel

I've never brushed Xtracolor only sprayed it, so really can't comment on drying times from that perspective. For me it's touch dry within 2-3 hours of spraying, but I would never put anything like masking tape/solution etc.... on top of any paint for at least 24hrs until it had cured properly, however since I do most of schemes freehand this isn't a problem that I've encountered often.

As for the colourscheme choice "Euro 1" all the way on the F-4G.

There is a great photo of a 37thTFW G (probably more than one) carrying four types of AGMs-Shrike, Standard, HARM and Maverick. They look very smart in grey, and mean in wraparound, almost a different aircraft!

Joel