Trumpeter 1/72 Sea Fury

snowen250

Hello all

Looking for general info/encouragement.

I'm currently build.....fighting the 1/72 Trumpeter SeaFury. So far i've been a bit dissapointed. The fuselage was a pig to close, the cowling didnt fit right, the prop blades look weedy and the wings with their joints for the folded versions were a pain to do in the standard position.

I'm doing mine as a silver cuban machine, but any tips for what to expect with the under carriage and stores would be welcome.

So am i just cack handed, or is this kit a bit ........crap?

Simon

I have three in the stash and I'm not looking forward to building any of them. A test fit showed it was going to be a challenging build.

FWIW, I prefer either the Special Hobby or High Planes Sea Furies, although the latter was a pig to build but looks right. Especially in RAF camo and markings... The Trumpeter kit looks very similar to the SH kit too.

A (lately deceased) friend was telling me that he reckoned Trumpeter had misread the plans in the area of the exhausts - that part of the fuselage sides had an area that was raised when it should be sunken. Or was it the other way round? But, anyway, that is an area you should definitely check out against photos.

A (lately deceased) friend was telling me that he reckoned Trumpeter had misread the plans in the area of the exhausts - that part of the fuselage sides had an area that was raised when it should be sunken. Or was it the other way round? But, anyway, that is an area you should definitely check out against photos.

Personally I find that neither trumpeter nor special hobby have done a good job on the exhaust are. Especially the "ridge" on the lower part of the exhaust (above the wing) doesn not have a great shape in these two kits.

Never seen the HiPlanes kit, would be curious to build one

Personally I find that neither trumpeter nor special hobby have done a good job on the exhaust are. Especially the "ridge" on the lower part of the exhaust (above the wing) doesn not have a great shape in these two kits.

Never seen the HiPlanes kit, would be curious to build one

I have the High Planes and it is much better in that respect ... did not check the rest but usually HP are the most accurate among their contestors.

Edited by occa

I bought the PM 1:72 Sea Fury T20 a couple of weeks back, as it £2.99, and I had a free afternoon.

It went in the recycling.

I bought the PM 1:72 Sea Fury T20 a couple of weeks back, as it £2.99, and I had a free afternoon.

It went in the recycling.

Can you say a little more about why? I made the single-seater a few (or perhaps more than a few) years back and although simple it went together well with just a piece of microstrip across the fuselage to make the wing sit right. In the immortal words of the ignorant, it looked like a Sea Fury to me. I have one of each kind of two-seater waiting to be made, or sold on, so if there was something specific you could add it might help.

Hmmm...I have the TrumpyBoss 1:72 Sea Fury in my stash. I haven't looked at it in depth, other than a quick gasp at how awful the prop looks, and after reading these posts I'm a little scared to. I just finished a Trumpeter 1:72 Lightning and, well, it wasn't exactly shake and bake. I think I only ended up using a little more than half of the Trumpy plastic...not sure that I want or need to go through another project like that again!

Cheers,

Bill

Edited by Navy Bird

I had heard that a fairly creditable Sea Fury could be made by using a few of the PM/Airfix parts on the Trumpeter kit. Have I heard wrong?

Edited by Procopius

How do I put this nicely?

I know

Throw the sweetheart pile of bat excrement into the furthest skip you can possibly reach!

Then see if you can hit it with that PM abortion.

I cant comment of the High planes version but the Special Hobby one isn't to bad.

Though it is a bit sus round the exhausts ( I believe only Hobbycraft and Fisher have ever

got this area right)

As for the others, I'd rather put the work into the old Frog kit than ever touch those

things again.

Heres what I compare my kits with

p1010002-1.jpg

Lovely isnt she?

• Like 1

How do I put this nicely?

I know

Throw the sweetheart pile of bat excrement into the furthest skip you can possibly reach!

Then see if you can hit it with that PM abortion.

I cant comment of the High planes version but the Special Hobby one isn't to bad.

Though it is a bit sus round the exhausts ( I believe only Hobbycraft and Fisher have ever

got this area right)

As for the others, I'd rather put the work into the old Frog kit than ever touch those

things again.

Heres what I compare my kits with

p1010002-1.jpg

Lovely isnt she?

Lovely she is! Man, I wish I had my own personal Sea Fury in the garage!

I assume the sweetheart pile of bat excrement is the Trumpy kit? There are children here, let's just call it guano! :D

Cheers,

Bill

I guess it must be me then, as I'm building the kit at the moment and cant see any major issues!

I cant speak about accuracy as that sort of thing, Starfix Spitfire aside, doesn't tend to bother me and nor can I speak about the cockpit interior as I've used Pavla and Eduard detail sets.

So far I've glued the two fuselage halves including the tailplanes together without any problem and I have also glued all the wing components, which apart from using 2 clamps on the wing fold area, of the wing centre section, all is as it should be.

When I started the build, I had yet to decide if I wanted the wings folded or opened, so just just in case, I tidied the edges up with a sander and when placed into position, everything appears to line up fine and even the dihedral looks acceptable to my eyes!

Few pictures below to show what I mean...

TU01631_2.jpg

TU01631_1.jpg

TU01631.jpg

TU01631_3.jpg

Even the wing root area appears to have no need for filler although please bear in mind that the wing and fuselage have not yet been glued!

I've since decided to finish it with the wings folded, mainly due to fact that I am using the Eduard PE set and not because there are is no means of securing the inner and outer wing components.

To my mind, all that would be needed, is some plastic strut/card to make a secure join but that's it!

As for issues, have I come across any yet?

1. Well, I will admit that there are few sink marks
  2. The wing leading edge intakes need a little tidying up
  3. I do have doubts about the strength of the main landing gear legs but guess that the doors will provide the strength needed to support the finished kit
  4. I don't like the kit exhausts so I'm in the process of replacing with brass tube

As for the landing gear legs, couldn't the same thing could be said for all mainstream 72 injected Tempest and Sea Fury kits?

As for me and this kit, I'm going to cheat and use white metal Tempest legs from Heritage, I know that they will not be an exact replacement but other than the minor points above, I think it's a nice kit!

Hope this is of interest.

Edited by Tony C

So that's a yes then?

You go, girl! Can't wait to see it! Who is the walkaround coordinator, Julien maybe? We should make sure that Danni's walkaround photos end up there.

Cheers,

Bill