Eduard 1/48 FW190A-8

Coming together a treat, cockpit looks nice and used without being over the top. Just a little reminder though in case you've forgot, there was leather beading around that hood.

Coming together a treat, cockpit looks nice and used without being over the top. Just a little reminder though in case you've forgot, there was leather beading around that hood.

Thanks for that, nice to hear. I am not happy the beading is is defined enough. I may use "something" to replicate it but I am not sure. Maybe a snake of milliput? Or I may just add paint and leave it.

Regards

Some nice work there big fella, even if it is a losers plane :D . Hope to catch up in April

Hello mate. Nice of you to say so!!

I have to catch up to Kev, he is streets ahead at the moment with build numbers! I need to learn his secret. Although a fake 24 hour "emergency deployment exercise" to get some build time away from distraction is not beyond these navy types!!

Regards

Welcome back!

I finally got my butt into gear and unpacked everything and reinstated "the bench". It is good to be home and back in familiar surroundings!

I decided to work on the main undercarriage. The main wheels were removed and the seams sanded down. This left a flat spot all around the periphery so I took to the wheels with an RB productions scriber. Using the saw toothed back of the scriber I went over the tread marks and once I finally got all the way around sealed it with some Tamiya Extra Thin cement to melt all the slough. Obviously the wheel on the right has been completed.

001-6.jpg

005-4.jpg

I then turned my attention to the gear. Through Mottlemaster's kindness I have some "ticki tape" en route so I went back to my old tried and true method for oleos. I measured the distance of the oleos and cut some generic kitchen foil to the correct size. I then put some "Micro Metal Foil Adhesive" on the reverse side. It comes out white but once it is dried it goes clear and is ready to apply. I carefully laid out the foil on the oleo and then smoothed it around the circumference using a cotton bud. I was trying to get the ends onto the side that will be against the gear door. I was THIS close!

008-3.jpg

The oleo supports were attached after the foil had been given a chance to set. It was then time to add the brake lines. These consist of two slightly different diameters, the tube that runs down the leg and the flexible part that attached to the wheel. I used some old .8 amp fuse wire for the former. These were attached using CA to the central lugs first (on the inboard side) and once set the wire was bent to conform to the outer sides of the legs and secured with more CA. I then cut some thin Tamiya tape strips to use as securing straps (a first). I made them too short but again the ends will be hidden by the gear doors. They are also a bit overscale but they will do for this one.

009-5.jpg

010-3.jpg

011-3.jpg

The flexible hoses were made from some 1mm evergreen rod. I bent and twisted these to break the rigidity but still retain the basic shape. I also drilled out one end to accept the fuse wire. This wasn't as successful as I had hoped and almost sent me blind! I wanted to just slip them over the ends and use as little CA as possible but not all plans work as we would like. Looking at the last photo it probably helps to get the correct end on the fuse wire...doh! They are attached and it looks a bit rough but close enough for government work. I will paint over the tape and fuse wire with 02 and the flexible hoses with either interior black or tyre black. I will drill small holes into the rear of each wheel at appropriate locations and hopefully just trim and glue the ends. I may use another medium for the next set.

012-2.jpg

013-2.jpg

I need to add a couple of plaques and the MLG will be done.

Main lesson: Dont be in a rush to paint the undercarriage legs as it is better left until all construction is finished!!!

Thanks for looking.

Regards,

Must admit I toyed with the idea of adding the thicker flexible brake lining but in the end I took the easy way out and will just build that part up with a few layers of paint. I've found that bare metal foil makes better straps than tape as well as it hugs the contours better, well in this scale anyway.

Must admit I toyed with the idea of adding the thicker flexible brake lining but in the end I took the easy way out and will just build that part up with a few layers of paint. I've found that bare metal foil makes better straps than tape as well as it hugs the contours better, well in this scale anyway.

That may have been the way to go with the paint layers Tim. I'll have a go at foil for the straps next time. The beauty of this hobby is there is always an alternative or new way to learn!!

Regards

Edited by Kahunaminor

That may have been the way to go with the paint layers Tim. I'll have a go at foil for the straps next time. The beauty of this hobby is there is always an alternative or new way to learn!!

Regards

Well I think after this Group Build has ended it will be a great reference stop for people building 190s, whatever the kit they are using.

This group build is becomeing a master class in FW109's and within this there seems to be an elite mastercalss in undercarriage details. Just wate untill you try the ticky tape. You even redid the tyre tred how long did that take

This group build is becomeing a master class in FW109's and within this there seems to be an elite mastercalss in undercarriage details. Just wate untill you try the ticky tape. You even redid the tyre tred how long did that take

Obviously you are talking about someone else? :frantic: I don't know the Fw109, is it new?? :P

The tyres were a small chore, it took about 5 minutes on each so worth the small effort for the improved look. I may have another look at the straps this morning and see if I can improve on them. I have an idea to flatten some copper wire and see how that looks.

Well I think after this Group Build has ended it will be a great reference stop for people building 190s, whatever the kit they are using.

My thoughts exactly. Especially for anyone tackling the Eduard kits.

As the 190 is my favourite aircraft, I for one, will be bookmarking this GB for future reference.

Steve

Did some thinking about the Tamiya tape straps and decided to try again. I took some single strand copper wire from an old electrical cord, cut a length and flattened it using brute strength. A dash of CA and some intricate bending, a coat of MM 02 and voila! These gave me straps of a much more pleasing look at scale. The flexible tubes were painted MM interior a/c black.

006-6.jpg

007-4.jpg

005-5.jpg

I will go over them with a wash to blend the new paint with the old.

I painted the leather around the IP coaming as I couldn't be buggered adding anything to increase the thickness. I added a drop of Future to the gunsight for the lens and the reflectors to the gun sight with Gator Glue. I was going to add some tinting to the front one but I got all excited and added the front windshield. Oh well....

001-7.jpg

002-5.jpg

011-4.jpg

Set all that aside for the night. I will mask it off and I can concentrate on the wing root gun bays and some colour.

I added the wires to the retractor arms of the MLG. Same copper wire as before with CA. I will let that set overnight and then add the 04 and another wash.

008-4.jpg

Well that's all for tonight I'm off to bed.

Thanks for looking....