Tamiya 1/48 Focke Wulf Fw-190D JV44

Hi guys

This will be my entry into the GB, Tamiya's 1/48 Focke Wulf Fw-190D of Jagdverband 44. Love those underside markings!!!

I will be using the basic kit with Eduard 1/48 Luftwaffe WWII seatbelts. Unsure about whether i will upgrade the decals as the Tamiya ones seems well printed though a bit on the thick side - may try Gunze's decal solutions to get them to settle into panel lines.

Looking forward to cracking on with this build!!!

Regards

Rob

BoxShot.jpg

Edited by Dr Lurve

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies that i've not been on here as much as ehat i should but been a bit busy at work. Cockpit of my Dora is nearly finished, i only need to do a light wash and dry brush and add my seatbelts. Hope to have some photos posted in the next day or two.

Regards

Rob

• 1 month later...

The pressure is on to get this one finished and i have finally made some progress. The cockpit is about finished. Decided to go out of the box with Eduard Luftwaffe seatbelts. Cockpit is painted Vallejo Model Color Gray Green with details picked out with other Valljo colors, an Abteilung oils wash and a touch of dry brushing with Vallejo Color Neutral Gray.

Since the shots were taken on Saturday the fuselage is together and cowl, spinner and propellor are painted up. More photos to follow soon!!!

cockpit2.jpg

cockpit1.jpg

cockpit3.jpg

Thanks

Rob

• 3 weeks later...

Painted undersurface on Monday, which turned out quite well. Hope to make more progress come Friday. Fingers crossed, should have uppersurface camo painted by close of weekend. Deadline looms!!!

Photos to follow!

Thanks for your encouragement Steve!

Well...have been a busy bee this weekend and made substantial progress. Hopefully on target to finish for the GB deadline.

Paint job finished apart from minor details and the application of a wash and matt varnish coat after decals are applied. I opted to purchase Skymodels sheet for 1/48 FW-190 Doras and Ta-152s. Compared to the Tamiya decals they look thin and have a gloss to them. After i have left the gloss coat cure for a couple of days i'll apply the. My JV-44 Dora will be Sachenbergs Red 1.

I also opted to hollow out the ends of the exhausts with the tip of a knife blade. A tedious job but they don't look too bad and once suitably painted and weathered should look OK! Undercarriage, prop and spinner and other bits and bobs are painted and will be added later. Only have wheels to do now!

I've included a few photos. I wanted to keep the file size down so they are not brilliant quality.

Hope you like?

Rob

FW4.jpg

FW3.jpg

FW2.jpg

FW1.jpg

Quick update. Decals are on. My fears about Skymodels decals were unfounded as they settled down quite nicely with setting solutions. I've included a few photos.

Regards

Rob

FW7.jpg

FW5.jpg

FW6.jpg

Thanks for the comments Steve and Stu. Much appreciated guys. I'm normally a WW2 RAF modeller and this is my first Luftwaffe build in about 5 years. The GB has been a welcome break from the norm and its spurred me on to do more WW2 Luftwaffe stuff.

Stu, i'm using Gunze Sangyo Aqueous acrylics - RLM82 and 83 greens, RLM23 red and RLM76 light blue with their gloss varnish. Only thing with Gunze is that they never seem to fully cure but by thinning with isopropyl alcohol it does help to speed up the drying process.

Thanks

Rob

Very nice work - a challenge with that candy-stripe. I have the same kit lying in my stash - I really must dig it out and have a go in the next 'x' years!

Edited by AndyC

Thanks for the info Rob, i'm keen to try the Gunze paints as I see a lot of great results with them, the only thing that puts me off is I do all my work at the kitchen table (lacking in dedicated hobby room) so mostly use Xtracrlics / humbrol with Xtracrylics thinners so dont stink the house out and get told off :)

Cheers Stu

Thanks for the info Rob, i'm keen to try the Gunze paints as I see a lot of great results with them, the only thing that puts me off is I do all my work at the kitchen table (lacking in dedicated hobby room) so mostly use Xtracrlics / humbrol with Xtracrylics thinners so dont stink the house out and get told off :)

Cheers Stu

Stu,

there is also a water based Gunze paint. I have used it for years and it's great!!!!

Thanks for your kind comment Andy C!

Stu, the Gunze i use is the water based aqueous kind. They are very good, in my view the best acrylics around and airbrush nicely. You shouldn't have any smell from them, certainly no more than Xtracrylics and Tamiya. Order yourself a few colours from Model Design Contruction or ModelsRGo and i know you won't regret it!!!

Regards

Rob