• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#41 Iain (32SIG)

Iain (32SIG)

Stick forward - cows get bigger...

• Gold Member
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:32 PM

Hi Deon - have cut back into the area and applied a fresh layer - a lot more stable now!

In further news her tail feathers are complete and ready for fitment and I have received some very generous donations to the 'restoration' - I will endeavor to fire up the Digital daguerreotype at some point over the weekend.

Iain

#42 Will Vale

Will Vale

Very Obsessed Member

• Gold Member
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:23 AM

What a great idea, and lovely lines too. I'd like to join in but I want to finish something before starting something new...

#43 Enzo Matrix

Enzo Matrix

Format? I have no format. I am a renegade, lost on the Net.

• Members
  • 5,662 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:34 AM

This is excellent!

Have you read the science fiction novel Terminal World by Alastair Reynolds? Linky I'm starting to think that this is how the Painted Lady looks.

#44 Iain (32SIG)

Iain (32SIG)

• Gold Member
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 11:30 PM

Thanks for the link Enzo - may have to get a copy! :)

In further news the following contributors to the restoration are to be awarded the Noble Order of the G and T for services to The Imperial Museum of Airbattleships:

Sir Shar2 NOG&T - for Services to Armaments and Miscellaneous Artifacts

Sir Pyro-Maniac NOG&T - for Services to Ships Superstructure

Sir Bootneck NOG&T - for Services to Ships Anchors

We thank you all: without your selfless donations HMAS Fearnought would be but a twisted dream!

So, without further ceremony I give you: Further Progress!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Felicitations,

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG), 10 March 2012 - 11:38 PM.

#45 Deon

Deon

Very Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:22 AM

She's coming along nicely, looks every inch the queen of the skies.

#46 pyro-manic

pyro-manic

Established Member

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:23 PM

Glad to be of assistance, sir. She's looking grand!

And Terminal World is an excellent book - highly, highly recommended (as indeed is the rest of Reynolds' work).

#47 Shar2

Shar2

Wibble!

• Global Moderator
  • 7,859 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:34 PM

Glad to see some of the reclaimed parts from the ex-Kaiserschiffer have come in usefull for the rebuild in this great project. Honoured to have been of assistance.

#48 Kahunaminor

Kahunaminor

Established Member

• Gold Member
  • 445 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:56 AM

Gentlemen,

I have wandered in here as my Fw190STGB is a little quiet. I have not laughed as loud or as often as reading these pages. You are, each and every one, delightfully deranged. The witty repartee has been fabulous.

Fear not for the security of your endevours as I am sometimes go by my pseudonym - Bernard!! I also fall into the category of "their families' servants' tennis partners".

carry on Hussah!!

Edited by Kahunaminor, 22 March 2012 - 08:58 AM.

#49 Iain (32SIG)

Iain (32SIG)

• Gold Member
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:17 AM

Episode 6 - Expert probing...

Lt Ogilvie: Unfortunately sir, and to my lasting regret, Bernard is not the spy.

Admiral DeMontfort-Smythe: Oh? And then who the hell is?

Nurse Fletcher-Brown: Well, sir, there is a chap on the forum with a pronounced limp and a very strong German accent. It must be him. It's obvious.

Lt Ogilvie: Obvious, but wrong. It's not him.

Admiral DeMontfort-Smythe: And why not?

Lt Ogilvie: Because, sir, not even the Germans would be stupid enough to field a spy on a public Modelling forum with a strong German accent.

Nurse Fletcher-Brown: Well then, who is it?

Lt Ogilvie: Well, it's perfectly simple. It's you.

Nurse Fletcher-Brown: (gasps; stands) Iain!

Lt Ogilvie: (calls as he stands) Deon!

(Deon enters, pointing a rifle at Nurse Fletcher-Brown)

Admiral DeMontfort-Smythe: (stands) Explain yourself, Ogilvie, before I have you shot for being rude to a lady!

Lt Ogilvie: Well, sir, the first seeds of suspicion were sown when Sub Lieutenant Jonners unwittingly revealed that she spoke German. Do you deny, Nurse Fletcher-Brown -- or should I say Nurse Fleischer-Baum? -- that you helped Sub Lieutenant Jonners with German words in his posts?

Nurse Fletcher-Brown: No, I did, but--

Lt Ogilvie: My suspicions were confirmed when she probed me expertly via PM about airbattleship movements.

Nurse Fletcher-Brown: Oh, Iain, how could you? After all we've been through.

Lt Ogilvie: And then the final, irrefutable proof. Remember, you mentioned a clever boyfriend...

Nurse Fletcher-Brown: Yes.

Lt Ogilvie: I then leapt on the opportunity to test you. I asked if he'd been to one of the great universities: Oxford, Cambridge, or Hull...

Nurse Fletcher-Brown: Well?

Lt Ogilvie: You failed to spot that only two of those are great universities.

Nurse Fletcher-Brown: You swine!

Admiral DeMontfort-Smythe: That's right -- Cambridge is a complete dump!

Lt Ogilvie: Well, quite. No true Englishwoman could have fallen into that trap.

Nurse Fletcher-Brown: Oh, Iain, I thought there was something beautiful between us. I thought you ... loved me.

Lt Ogilvie: Nah... Take her away, Deon.

Deon: (?? [mispronouncing something in German, perhaps])

(Deon takes Nurse Fletcher-Brown out)

Admiral DeMontfort-Smythe: Well, good work, Ogilvie. Now I've got to assemble a firing squad. (while Iain warms himself by the fire, goes to his desk, sits and picks up the telephone)

(Kahunaminor, in uniform, hobbles in. Darling runs up from behind)

Darling: Watch out, sir! (jumps on Kahunaminor, taking his revolver)

Admiral DeMontfort-Smythe: Darling, what on Earth do you think you're doing?

Darling: I'll tell you exactly what I am doing, sir. I'm doing what Ogilvie should have done three weeks ago, sir.

Admiral DeMontfort-Smythe: What?

Darling: This is the guilty man!

Admiral DeMontfort-Smythe: Darling, you're hysterical.

Darling: No, sir! No, I'm not, sir! I'll ask him outright: Are you a spy?

Kahunaminor: Yes, I am a spy!

Darling: You see, sir??

Admiral DeMontfort-Smythe: Well, of course he's a spy, Darling -- a British spy! This is Commodore Sir Bernard Kahunaminor (Kahunaminor stands up straight, showing that he in fact doesn't limp at all), the finest spy in the Royal Navy!

Well, that's alright then :)

Edited by Iain (32SIG), 22 March 2012 - 03:55 PM.

#50 Kahunaminor

Kahunaminor

Established Member

• Gold Member
  • 445 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:27 AM

:worthy: Bravo Sir, Bravo!

#51 grufsnik

grufsnik

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:58 PM

What ho chaps, your all ruddy nutters i say :bleh: :clown: , well keep up the good work, and um mums the word eh :worthy: nowt shall pass my lips...... cept gin of course :drink:
Gruffers

#52 Iain (32SIG)

Iain (32SIG)

• Gold Member
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:37 PM

What-ho chaps...

With apologies for delayed progress, but the aero-carpenters have been sourcing wood for Fearnoughts tail feathers from seed (or so it would appear!).

After more sound thrashings, and a score of three sore bottoms to one, I give you further progress:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Stay tuned for more thrilling adventures at a screen near you soon!

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG), 18 April 2012 - 09:45 PM.

#53 Mish

Mish

It's Mike's fault!

• Group Build Moderator
  • 18,704 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:10 AM

Crazy :mental:

#54 Kahunaminor

Kahunaminor

Established Member

• Gold Member
  • 445 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:45 AM

After more sound thrashings, and a score of three sore bottoms to one

What ho! Just like that in my old school days....old Sir Twiggy "three fingers" Hamilton-Smyth...ah there was a man with the flair for the strap! "Discipline..." he would say, "discipline and a bloody great cane. That's what saw the boys hold the line at Rorke's Drift!"

Onward Sir!!

Edited by Kahunaminor, 19 April 2012 - 06:47 AM.

#55 Iain (32SIG)

Iain (32SIG)

• Gold Member
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:17 PM

It is but an unfortunate small fly in a very smooth pot of Dr Crabbes patented liniment, but the 'restoration' team have been unable to source the original elastic primer paint used in Fearnoughts construction.

The original material was a very special concoction based upon Yak dung, cumin, mustard seed and hot water devised by that very clever Imperial Indian inventor C J Petropetal of Bombay, based upon a conceptual idea from Major P C Dawlish (famous for the Dawlish Special motor car raced to Monte Carlo almost two decades later*).

Unfortunately use of this material would cause today's governments Health and Safety Executive to spontaneously implode, so we have utilised the more widely available modern equivalent: Grey Primer from mssrs Halfords.

*Recently un-earthed period documentary featuring Major Dawlish himself - see below:

Fearnought is now resplendent in Dawlish Grey and the team hope to post updated daguerreotypes later (perhaps) :drink:

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG), 19 April 2012 - 08:57 PM.

#56 Iain (32SIG)

Iain (32SIG)

• Gold Member
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:46 PM

And here we are - almost ready for fitting out of secondary armament, railings and other details - although the elephants still allude us:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

At last you can see her handsome lines...

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG), 19 April 2012 - 08:48 PM.

#57 MadNurseGaz

MadNurseGaz

Careless and impatient kit assembler . . .

• Gold Member
  • 928 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:50 PM

Ye Gods, Sir!
I had thought that my own de Havilland "Bisquito" flying machine for aerial bombardment (see the recent "What-if" GB for further details) was sufficiently
deranged as to be 2 stops past Barking, but this . . .

A positively preposterous proposition, Sir!

Thanks, Iain, for this wonderful Techno-Gothicism!

#58 Kallisti

Kallisti

Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out

• Members
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:57 PM

What what, I say old chap have those dammed workers gone on strike again? Give 'em a taste of the lash I say, never did me no harm yet "Nanny" still says I'm a naughty boy! What? egads sirrah!

#59 Iain (32SIG)

Iain (32SIG)

• Gold Member
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 12:57 PM

What ho chaps!

Assuming we still have until midnight on the 'morrow I shall dig out the whips and have a quick team 'motivation' meeting...

Iain

#60 Iain (32SIG)

Iain (32SIG)

• Gold Member
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 04:33 PM

In further dispatches we can report that the sound thrashings, ahem, 'team morale meeting' (to use the modern vernacular), has resulted in the lower orders finally extracting a digit (from wherever it may have been hiding) and Fearnaught is now resplendent...

'In what' I hear you ask...

Well - bit hush, hush on the old finish front for now - but we may be able to smuggle a daguerreotype into the Airbattleship sheds a little later this evening.

Huzzah!

Iain